Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help an excited 19 year old buy their car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 02:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Nothing I couldn't handle.

I learned to drive on snow and have been in some pretty crap vehicles in bad situations. For blizzards, I do have my Jeep.
So your Jeep is also your daily driver or something you will always have access to in the snow? If that is not the case then I would not recommend a rwd car, especially a little rwd sports car for someone in CO that has to drive it in the winter. Both cars are going to be pretty expensive to maintain, older SCs can be pretty expensive especially if something high priced needs replacing. If you want to stay with Toyota why not a used Celica, they are sporty, have a decent aftermarket support for mods, and much better in winter then a rwd car.
If not a Celica then maybe a Solara coupe.

If you have the Jeep at your disposal and want either a MR2 or SC I would figure your needs and what you want first because they are totally different. The MR2 is a sports car that is not practical or has room for anything should you decide to take a trip in it but they are fun and the only somewhat reliable mid engined car you are going to be able to get used for cheap. The SC is a good lux cruiser but not very sporty at all, it is much more practical and I would recommend it over the MR2 if it will be what you drive most of the time since it is much more comfortable and has room for friends and stuff if you decide to take a trip, beware of possible high repair bills though.
Old 06-01-11, 12:17 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Bolt-on hardtops, painted body-color, are available for older-generation Miatas.....I'm not sure about the newer ones. Newer ones also have a power-folding-hardtop option, so you don't have to put up with the problems and insecurity of a rag-top. But, Hey, if a Miata is just not for you, I understand.

Thanks. We're glad to have you. And you are correct about the forum. I didn't leave it after I sold my Lexus, either. In fact, we have some CL moderators and staff that don't drive Lexus products either.
Oh wow, I didn't know that the older Miatas had bolt on hard tops. Interesting - I've never seen that.

Originally Posted by Incredible
If you have a salary of $1,700-$2,500, then why not just lease a new car?
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll let him answer your question for himself, but, leasing, of course, with its wear-and-tear clauses, yearly mileage-restrictions, and stiff early-termination penalties, is not for everyone.
Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I don't know many young people his age that lease cars. Probably not only cuz all the terms that come with leasing a car, but you can't mod it as freely, insurance is higher on new cars, etc.
I hope I never lease a car. To me, and I can't speak for anyone else, but it seems like a very stupid idea. I don't want to sign a contract so that I can pay to drive their property for a set amount of time. I want to OWN my first car, and I don't ever want to get caught up in that stuff.

Originally Posted by UDel
So your Jeep is also your daily driver or something you will always have access to in the snow? If that is not the case then I would not recommend a rwd car, especially a little rwd sports car for someone in CO that has to drive it in the winter. Both cars are going to be pretty expensive to maintain, older SCs can be pretty expensive especially if something high priced needs replacing. If you want to stay with Toyota why not a used Celica, they are sporty, have a decent aftermarket support for mods, and much better in winter then a rwd car.
If not a Celica then maybe a Solara coupe.

If you have the Jeep at your disposal and want either a MR2 or SC I would figure your needs and what you want first because they are totally different. The MR2 is a sports car that is not practical or has room for anything should you decide to take a trip in it but they are fun and the only somewhat reliable mid engined car you are going to be able to get used for cheap. The SC is a good lux cruiser but not very sporty at all, it is much more practical and I would recommend it over the MR2 if it will be what you drive most of the time since it is much more comfortable and has room for friends and stuff if you decide to take a trip, beware of possible high repair bills though.
I've driven worse cars in blizzards - a badly maintained Cougar and Grand Marquis come to mind. But, I wouldn't drive the MR2 in the snow unless there was absolutely no other way. I've said in my other posts that I would have the jeep at my disposal.

Unless it's a GT-4, Celicas do nothing for me. And the Solara? Ugly, FWD, convertible. I've NEVER liked the Solara.

Practicality doesn't matter to me as I've already said. I don't haul anyone around besides my girlfriend, and if I went in a long trip in it, I'd just need room for two suitcases really.

Above anything else, what makes me want the MR2 more than the SC at this point are the repair bills that come with owning a 20 year old luxury car, and the fact that I'd have to do a lot of modifying just to make the SC feel sporty.
Old 06-01-11, 07:49 AM
1J0Z SC
Lead Lap

Honestly, my co-worker has a right hand drive MR2, it looks sick, its got the Berk exhaust, and is pretty quick for what it is. In any car repair bills come along with it, but then again its a Toyota. Parts will be easy to get, and once you get done it will be a ton of fun to drive. I recently purchased an 240SX S14, its a handle full because the wiring is a hack job, but my daily driver being an xB then hoping in my 240 on the weekend is a blast.

Ever think about a 240
Old 06-01-11, 08:19 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S14Jo
Honestly, my co-worker has a right hand drive MR2, it looks sick, its got the Berk exhaust, and is pretty quick for what it is. In any car repair bills come along with it, but then again its a Toyota. Parts will be easy to get, and once you get done it will be a ton of fun to drive. I recently purchased an 240SX S14, its a handle full because the wiring is a hack job, but my daily driver being an xB then hoping in my 240 on the weekend is a blast.

Ever think about a 240
I've looked into them, but I really honestly don't know anything about them. I'd consider them an option if I knew more about them. Enlighten me about the S14s.
Old 06-01-11, 09:51 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

What about a MKIII Supra? More practical than an MR2 and more sportier than an SC.
Old 06-01-11, 10:10 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
What about a MKIII Supra? More practical than an MR2 and more sportier than an SC.
The 7M-GE. Unless I could find a MKIII for relatively cheap with that horrible engine already swapped out, I would NOT spend money on one of those.
Old 06-01-11, 10:29 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

I've also heard that parts for those cars are rather expensive and that they have a looooot of problems.
Old 06-01-11, 10:34 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S14Jo
I recently purchased an 240SX S14, its a handle full because the wiring is a hack job, but my daily driver being an xB then hoping in my 240 on the weekend is a blast.

Ever think about a 240

Stay with the MR2 or SC

Last edited by Joey-E; 06-01-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 11:55 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a 97-01 Honda Prelude SH =P
Old 06-02-11, 09:09 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Get a 97-01 Honda Prelude SH =P
How about no.
Old 06-02-11, 12:35 PM
DLo_IS300
Driver

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
The 7M-GE. Unless I could find a MKIII for relatively cheap with that horrible engine already swapped out, I would NOT spend money on one of those.
I agree, the 7mge is notoriously known for blowing head gaskets.
Old 06-04-11, 11:23 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

defintely MR2
Old 06-06-11, 10:50 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

This may not be a popular opinion here, but based on my experience, if you want a decently affordable sporty car with some style, get yourself a mid-to-late 90's Firebird or Camaro with the LT1 or LS1 engines. They will be difficult to work on(but so is the Lexus), but parts are significantly cheaper and they haul ***. They might not ride as nice as a Lexus(they're not luxury cars), but i've driven them and they are fun as hell. Especially if you get the t-tops. I can't say anything about the SC400, i've never touched one, but my LS400 does have plenty of get up and go for me(right now), and has a nice ride. But for cost of parts, I probably wouldn't go this route again.
Old 06-06-11, 11:36 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are good choices. I know you're pretty set on Toyota, but I also want to toss in a 90s BMW E36 3 series. Those are pretty solid cars, offer a nice balance of handling/luxury, still look sharp and come in many difference body styles. I had a 90s E34 5 series for 1 yr in college and loved it (more so than the 328 i got after that). The car sat outside for the entire yr and gave me no problems at all. 90s German cars are built like tanks and don't really have that many electronics to go wrong. Just a thought.
Old 06-07-11, 06:33 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Both are good choices. I know you're pretty set on Toyota, but I also want to toss in a 90s BMW E36 3 series. Those are pretty solid cars, offer a nice balance of handling/luxury, still look sharp and come in many difference body styles. I had a 90s E34 5 series for 1 yr in college and loved it (more so than the 328 i got after that). The car sat outside for the entire yr and gave me no problems at all. 90s German cars are built like tanks and don't really have that many electronics to go wrong. Just a thought.
Someone I know bought a 1995 M3 recently and it's been nothing but problems for him. I like german cars, but I'll never buy one unless it has a warranty. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Quick Reply: Help an excited 19 year old buy their car!