Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help an excited 19 year old buy their car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 06:42 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
This may not be a popular opinion here, but based on my experience, if you want a decently affordable sporty car with some style, get yourself a mid-to-late 90's Firebird or Camaro with the LT1 or LS1 engines. They will be difficult to work on(but so is the Lexus), but parts are significantly cheaper and they haul ***. They might not ride as nice as a Lexus(they're not luxury cars), but i've driven them and they are fun as hell. Especially if you get the t-tops. I can't say anything about the SC400, i've never touched one, but my LS400 does have plenty of get up and go for me(right now), and has a nice ride. But for cost of parts, I probably wouldn't go this route again.
The problems that I have with these cars are that the interiors on both are made out of ugly, plastic crap that look like they were lifted straight out of the trucks of the same year. Although that's not a huge issue to me, I've never actually seen a Firebird or Camaro of that generation that a.) has the proper engine and b.) has been properly maintained. Most I've seen go for around $7,000 to $9,000 for a good one.

Also. Both are kind of... ugly.
Old 06-07-11, 10:38 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe it's because this is the first luxury car i've owned, but i've generally been pretty find with most(but not all) of GM's interiors and appearances. Although the Firebird/Camaro are about the only GM's that get me going. I'm generally a Ford guy.

And i rarely see an engine swap in that generation(4th) of the F-body. No reason really to swap out the LT1/LS1 engines. Very decent performers and easy to mod. They were rolling out with 325 hp stock by 2000. The more amazing part though is the TORQUE. That's the one thing i sort of miss since i've been driving my Lexus(Don't get me wrong, I love this car), LOW END TORQUE.

The 3rd gens had more engine swaps IIRC. I can see why too, the 3rd gens came with crappy, slow, gutless engines. The cars themselves were light and cheap. Take one and put in a much more powerful engine, and there you go.

That's just the background I come from. I've generally been more of a fan of American muscle cars.
Old 06-08-11, 11:12 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
The 7M-GE. Unless I could find a MKIII for relatively cheap with that horrible engine already swapped out, I would NOT spend money on one of those.
With the properly torqued head bolts at 72 ft lbs, the 7M is a very reliable motor, as reliable as the previous M series engines.
Old 06-08-11, 11:14 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe it's because this is the first luxury car i've owned, but i've generally been pretty find with most(but not all) of GM's interiors and appearances. Although the Firebird/Camaro are about the only GM's that get me going. I'm generally a Ford guy.

And i rarely see an engine swap in that generation(4th) of the F-body. No reason really to swap out the LT1/LS1 engines. Very decent performers and easy to mod. They were rolling out with 325 hp stock by 2000. The more amazing part though is the TORQUE. That's the one thing i sort of miss since i've been driving my Lexus(Don't get me wrong, I love this car), LOW END TORQUE.

The 3rd gens had more engine swaps IIRC. I can see why too, the 3rd gens came with crappy, slow, gutless engines. The cars themselves were light and cheap. Take one and put in a much more powerful engine, and there you go.

That's just the background I come from. I've generally been more of a fan of American muscle cars.
It's not just against luxury cars. Domestic car interiors have been littered with cheap, ****ty interiors for ages. Any comparable Toyota or Honda interior will be better than any domestic interior, especially from the 70s-2008ish when they finally started getting a hint.
Old 06-09-11, 07:12 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
With the properly torqued head bolts at 72 ft lbs, the 7M is a very reliable motor, as reliable as the previous M series engines.
I would be extremely wary of if the previous owner actually did that properly. When a MK. III was suggested to me earlier in the thread, I went on the MKIII Supra forums, or one of them, and looked to see how common the head gasket issue was, and literally almost EVERYONE had dealt with it before it seemed.

If I was persuaded to buy one, I'd probably try to swap a 1UZ-FE into it like RedPheonix did.

Last edited by LunaVyohr; 06-09-11 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-09-11, 07:29 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

THe interior issue is a relative thing anyway. Depends on the taste of the owner. Maybe it's because i grew up with American cars, so i've been used to their interiors(and actually like them). To be honest, out of the imports we HAVE owned, this is the only one with an interior that I like(although the dash is a little dated).
Old 06-09-11, 08:07 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reason why I never owned an MR-2 :Snap Oversteer
There's more vids on YouTube but here are 2 examples. I've also seen this happen in person as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnhiFucXoVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5j_w...eature=related

Last edited by suislide; 06-09-11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-09-11, 08:35 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Oh wow. That's... definitely not a good thing. Haha. I could hardly watch the second video - not because of the crash, but because of the idiot holding the camera. "I GOT THA WHOLE THING ON VIDEO, BROOO"

But, I've been seriously considering how annoying the lack of a back seat would be, and how much it would cost to own one insurance wise and such. Although I've never gotten any speeding tickets, I was once caught doing doughnuts in an empty dirt parking in the middle of the night, and was charged with reckless driving. Because of that, my insurance rates for any car would be through the roof, especially something like an MR2.

I might consider a MK3 if I could find one that had the head gasket service done and had been properly maintained. I've heard that those cars can have tons of problems, though.
Old 06-09-11, 12:22 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Supposedly the 93+ MR2's have an improved suspension geometry which aren't as tail swappy as the earlier models. But my memory is fuzzy on that as I haven't been an MR2 guy in quite some time (over a decade).

Either way it's something to consider if you are mainly experienced with RWD and you like to drive like a teenager.

I'm over 30, and I like to drive like a teenager.

For the record, I absolutely love my SC3, had it for 7 years now and the passion is still there. Best car purchase I've ever made in my life. Rock solid reliable and very little repairs needed thru the years, even at double the HP and torque.

I'd go SC3 myself. 5-speed. The 5-speeds are fun cars for what they are, even stock.

But you have a point, a nicely set up SC4 with a properly done exhaust is a damn fine ride as well.
Old 06-09-11, 02:15 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

If you decide to go with the MR2, I assume it will be a manual transmission. If that's the case, I recommend taking it on a relatively long test drive, getting it on the highway, and getting it up to normal, day-to-day operating temperature. The reason I say this is I learned a hard lesson when I bought my AE86 years ago. The car was clean and drove fine around the Hollywood city blocks, so I agreed to buy it. After I paid for it and drove it most of the way home, I discovered that the synchro between first and second gears was not healthy. It would be fine if the transmission was not completely warmed up, but once it got warmed up, it would grind and lash. Over the years, I dealt with it by shifting slowly or double clutching on 1-2 shifts. What a PITA, though. It's all been rebuilt now and I need to stuff the engine and trans back in the car. It's better if you can avoid these types of issues, though.
Old 06-10-11, 05:15 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Supposedly the 93+ MR2's have an improved suspension geometry which aren't as tail swappy as the earlier models. But my memory is fuzzy on that as I haven't been an MR2 guy in quite some time (over a decade).

Either way it's something to consider if you are mainly experienced with RWD and you like to drive like a teenager.

I'm over 30, and I like to drive like a teenager.

For the record, I absolutely love my SC3, had it for 7 years now and the passion is still there. Best car purchase I've ever made in my life. Rock solid reliable and very little repairs needed thru the years, even at double the HP and torque.

I'd go SC3 myself. 5-speed. The 5-speeds are fun cars for what they are, even stock.

But you have a point, a nicely set up SC4 with a properly done exhaust is a damn fine ride as well.
was wondering whether you still have your incredible sc, nice too know you still appreciate it after so many years of ownership. loved your cleansc video sure motivates me to keep/enjoy my sc