Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help an excited 19 year old buy their car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 07:13 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help an excited 19 year old buy their car!

Hi, everyone! I've just turned 19 years old, and soon, I'll have the budget to buy my first car. Exciting, right? Weeeeeeell, I wanted something reasonably sporty, but reliable enough that I won't be living beyond my means by constantly trying to keep the damn thing running. Reasonable gas mileage is nice, but not really a big concern in my life. I usually just save my money, and if I do spend, it's mostly on video games and car stuff, so I've never really been bothered by high gas prices. Right now, my beat up Jeep gets about 10 mpg, so if I can even just double that, I'd feel awesome. Practicality doesn't really matter to me either.

With these thoughts in mind, a budget of about $5500-$6500 and an average monthly salary of about $1700-$2500, I've narrowed my choices down to two vehicles - two of favorite cars on top of that.

A MK II MR2 or an SC400. I joined this forum mainly to learn as much as I could about the SC400, as I was DEAD-SET on buying one. However, recently, I've looked at MR2s and realized how much I love them. You can find both these cars in reasonably decent condition for what I have to spend, from what I've seen.

So, help me decide between these two and weigh pros and cons of both. I realize, as this is a Lexus forum, everyone will probably be biased towards the SC, but still.

Edit - And yes, I realize completely that there will be plenty of problems that come with buying 15-20 year old sports cars with around 120,xxx-140,xxx miles on them, and that I'll most likely spend about $1000 in maintenance/repair to get whatever vehicle I decide to buy running properly.

Last edited by LunaVyohr; 05-29-11 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 07:21 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

You will definitely have to drive both cars to get the feel of which one you like.. Check the classified section here and you will find SC300/400 cars pretty clean for your budget. GL in your search..
Old 05-29-11, 07:40 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Mmm, yes, but I would like to get an idea for what I'm in store for with either vehicle based on the experiences of others.

And thank you.
Old 05-29-11, 08:56 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd choose the SC400 for two reasons: It's easier to work on the motor of the SC (MKII has a small engine bay = expensive repairs) and insurance is a little cheaper on the SC from what i remember. Both are pretty reliable cars, but the MR2 is a lot of fun to drive however, definitely more fun than the SC400. Drive both and i'm sure you'll love the MR2's sportiness. It depends on what you want really in the end.

At 19 i'm pretty sure an MR2 will be the car you want after you drive it, if the other things like small engine bay don't bother you

Have you checked insurance rates on both? Depending on your past history it might vary quite a bit there too.
Old 05-29-11, 08:57 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quite a bit depends on what the previous owner(s) has done for maintenance. When looking at SC's plan to replace suspension bushings, possibly steering as well. You will want to make sure the timing belt/water pump was done at 90-100k. Cluster/LCD display will have dead bulbs, but you get used to that. Read up in the SC forum for more little things Im missing. That $1k repair budget can get eaten up rather quickly. Either of the repairs I noted will cost around that for parts/labor at a shop.

Both the 300 and 400 will be pig slow stock. Dont buy it thinking its a sports car because you'll be disappointed when a v6 altima sedan whizzes past you. If you plan to keep the car and mod it go with the 300, much more potential for going fast.
Old 05-29-11, 09:06 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Matador
Quite a bit depends on what the previous owner(s) has done for maintenance. When looking at SC's plan to replace suspension bushings, possibly steering as well. You will want to make sure the timing belt/water pump was done at 90-100k. Cluster/LCD display will have dead bulbs, but you get used to that. Read up in the SC forum for more little things Im missing. That $1k repair budget can get eaten up rather quickly. Either of the repairs I noted will cost around that for parts/labor at a shop.

Both the 300 and 400 will be pig slow stock. Dont buy it thinking its a sports car because you'll be disappointed when a v6 altima sedan whizzes past you. If you plan to keep the car and mod it go with the 300, much more potential for going fast.
You could buy my SC and you won't have to worry about any of the maintenance stuff! It's all been done :}
Old 05-29-11, 09:27 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

There's a few in the classifieds as we speak...
Old 05-29-11, 09:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

If maintenance is a concern for you, I don't think either car would be wise. The MR2 is a sports car and has likely been driven as such. The SC, while generally reliable, can be costly to fix if things break. It's a luxury car. The common Accords, Civics, Camrys, and Corollas would be more solid, money-speaking. But of course if you are a car person and want some pizzazz, those aren't going to cut it.
Old 05-29-11, 10:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would go with the SC but in the end I dont think you can go wrong with either
Old 05-29-11, 10:41 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between those, I'd choose the mr2. I'm actually looking for one right now lol. Nothing wrong with the sc, I just really like the sw20's.
Old 05-30-11, 12:47 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I'd choose the SC400 for two reasons: It's easier to work on the motor of the SC (MKII has a small engine bay = expensive repairs) and insurance is a little cheaper on the SC from what i remember. Both are pretty reliable cars, but the MR2 is a lot of fun to drive however, definitely more fun than the SC400. Drive both and i'm sure you'll love the MR2's sportiness. It depends on what you want really in the end.

At 19 i'm pretty sure an MR2 will be the car you want after you drive it, if the other things like small engine bay don't bother you

Have you checked insurance rates on both? Depending on your past history it might vary quite a bit there too.
I haven't checked the insurance rates just yet, but that's a big factor in my budget.

Small engine bays are annoying as hell, but I'm sure if I really connected with the way the MR2 feels, I'd be able to deal with it.

Originally Posted by Matador

If I a bought an SC, it would only be the 400. I don't dislike the 300, but I'm a much bigger fan of the 1UZ-FE. With that being said, from what I've seen, there's not much support for the V8, even if a market for it is starting to grow. So, parts will most likely cost more than the MR2's parts, but I'm not sure on that.

Originally Posted by FireCode
You could buy my SC and you won't have to worry about any of the maintenance stuff! It's all been done :}
Hehe. I'd definitely look into buying from a CL member if I could. There's not many examples of either cars I want in my area.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If maintenance is a concern for you, I don't think either car would be wise. The MR2 is a sports car and has likely been driven as such. The SC, while generally reliable, can be costly to fix if things break. It's a luxury car. The common Accords, Civics, Camrys, and Corollas would be more solid, money-speaking. But of course if you are a car person and want some pizzazz, those aren't going to cut it.
Pretty much. I realize the cars you mentioned are the "wisest" choices... but, I'm just not going to bother driving a car that I have no passion for, and it doesn't excite me.
Old 05-30-11, 12:54 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Based on what I know about the SC, I think I'm going to end up going with an MR2. I love the SC, but I know that they can be expensive to fix, and it can be a nightmare actually trying to figure out what's wrong with them because of the complicated ECU system in the cars.

I also don't want a "sporty" car that I have to put a lot of money into just to make it feel like it's not a pig. Haha.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-30-11, 01:14 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Based on what I know about the SC, I think I'm going to end up going with an MR2. I love the SC, but I know that they can be expensive to fix, and it can be a nightmare actually trying to figure out what's wrong with them because of the complicated ECU system in the cars.

I also don't want a "sporty" car that I have to put a lot of money into just to make it feel like it's not a pig. Haha.

Thanks guys.
I too would choose the MR2. The MR2 was brand new during my teenage years so it is a car I've always wanted but couldn't afford new back then. You will love driving a mid engine car. Those who know me or my posts about mid engine cars know how much I love them.

I had an SC400 before, and unless you turbocharge the SC300, or spend tons of money on a Super charger/turbo for the SC400, it will always feel like a pig. It is a heavy car. I noticed that right away when I had mine and I always felt its heft when driving it. SC's are getting old too, so you will probably have to spend a lot of money on upkeep and mods to keep you happy. For me, I would be happier spending money on an MR2 than on an SC, but that is for you to decide.
Old 05-30-11, 03:58 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love both cars as well both are beautiful in their own way, but they are 2 totally different cars behind the wheel. i would go with the MR2, for your price range you can get a good condition turbo model if you wait and look around long enough.

If you go NA gas mileage will be great compared to the SC but a decrease going turbo. SC is not that expensive to maintain if you do the work your self both cars are very reliable. Both are fun, RWD and kind of quick, the SC is heavy compared to the MR2 and feels like tank/boat but still has power, the Mr2 feels sportier because its mid engine design and close to 1000 pounds lighter but it lacks power if NA.

If you do go with a turbo model MR2, this being your first car….drive safely! and congrats for what you find and go with let us know on what you got.

Last edited by Joey-E; 05-30-11 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-30-11, 07:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First choice: get a motorcycle instead.

Second choice: I'd go for the MR2...

Quick Reply: Help an excited 19 year old buy their car!