Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus CEO contemplates sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 02:52 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotus CEO contemplates sale

Whether you're a fan of Lotus' transformation under the leadership of Dany Bahar or not, it's happening, and it may soon take a much more drastic path. According to reports from a roundtable last week, Bahar is considering a partnership with a larger car maker or possibly spinning the brand off from current corporate owner Proton to be publicly traded.

The reasoning for either move is clear enough: given Lotus' size and sales volume, it doesn't have the resources to develop cars to U.S. and EU standards for crash and emissions testing. Partnering up with a larger company would potentially open the doors to the resources necessary, though at what cost to Lotus' engineering and performance reputations is anyone's guess.

Aiming for sales volumes of 8,000 cars by 2015 or so, Bahar is positioning Lotus as a Porsche competitor. Porsche is part of the VW Group and definitely manages to build cars that set benchmarks in their respective segments, so it's not impossible to conceive of a partnership even with, say, Toyota, Lotus' long-time engine partner, as being productive while remaining relatively true to the brand.

At the same time, Porsche has leveraged a great deal of its recent advances on the back of platforms and vehicles shared with the larger VW Group, specifically the Panamera and Cayenne. The recently announced five-model lineup for Lotus is build around four sports cars, which don't sell in the volumes of the larger, more general-purpose vehicles. The lone sedan/four-door coupe, the Eterne, won't be able to ameliorate the small-volume issue due to its $188,000 price tag.

Worse still for Lotus is the use of advanced technologies and materials developed through its engineering arm. Bonded aluminum tubs, for example, don't lend themselves to the cross-platform sharing and volume production of the more common steel-and-aluminum unibody.

To circumvent this somewhat, Lotus has developed its new range to share heavily between models, with at least 50 percent of the components common to all, according to InsideLine. At even 8,000 units per year, however, the savings brought by volume will still be small.

Does Bahar's vision for the future of Lotus sit any better with you given this new context? Let us know in the comments below.
(Courtesy of Motor Authority)

Toyota buy Lotus
Old 05-31-11, 03:32 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Toyota. Do it. Doooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt.

Juuuu keeenn dooooo eeeeeeeeeeettttt. Buy it's frikken stock offffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-11, 03:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Toyota. Do it. Doooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt.

Juuuu keeenn dooooo eeeeeeeeeeettttt. Buy it's frikken stock offffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE TOYOTA!!!

Going to send serious note to them....BUY BUY BUY!!

Old 05-31-11, 04:27 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Com'on Toyota!!!

We should start a petition for Toyota hah maybe they'll get the hint!!
Old 05-31-11, 05:29 PM
LexFather

They could then invest and make Lotus the sporty/luxy brand and keep Lexus as the luxury/sport brand.

In another world I guess

Old 06-01-11, 08:52 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think Lotus are fine along the path they are going. I don't think they need a company to turn them into "x" division or whatever. What they can benefit from, is Toyota/Lexus expertise in QUALITY interiors, both material and fit and finishing. This is what they need the most to take the fight to Porsche. No more need to sweat the details about engines, CAFE, emissions. DI motors up in that mother lover.

Toyota will benefit from Lotus' engineering resources and expertise. They just have so much on their plate and need the extra man power (part of the reason why they are collaborating on Subaru with the FT-86). It would be great if they could help them with the suspension tuning of their regular cars as well, matching sporty and feed back filled with supple and compliant. lotus are MASTERS at this, nobody does excellent handling with great ride together like they do. Not Ferrari, not Porsche, not BMW.

We all benefit as customers, and I'm sure the tuners out there would love to have access to Lotus' tuned versions of the ECUs for more power.

win-win-win-win Situation. What are you guys waiting for? Match made in heaven.

p.d. Bonus. You have a back door into F1 should the need arise (i.e. New engine formula coming up, and you know RBR is going to rebrand their renault engines to infiniti... You can't let them get away with that, can you?)

**edit**

oh, and the Elite would make an exquisite platform mate for the next generation SC

Last edited by MR_F1; 06-01-11 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 09:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think Lotus are fine along the path they are going. I don't think they need a company to turn them into "x" division or whatever. What they can benefit from, is Toyota/Lexus expertise in QUALITY interiors, both material and fit and finishing. This is what they need the most to take the fight to Porsche. No more need to sweat the details about engines, CAFE, emissions. DI motors up in that mother lover.

Toyota will benefit from Lotus' engineering resources and expertise. They just have so much on their plate and need the extra man power (part of the reason why they are collaborating on Subaru with the FT-86). It would be great if they could help them with the suspension tuning of their regular cars as well, matching sporty and feed back filled with supple and compliant. lotus are MASTERS at this, nobody does excellent handling with great ride together like they do. Not Ferrari, not Porsche, not BMW.

We all benefit as customers, and I'm sure the tuners out there would love to have access to Lotus' tuned versions of the ECUs for more power.

win-win-win-win Situation. What are you guys waiting for? Match made in heaven.

p.d. Bonus. You have a back door into F1 should the need arise (i.e. New engine formula coming up, and you know RBR is going to rebrand their renault engines to infiniti... You can't let them get away with that, can you?)

**edit**

oh, and the Elite would make an exquisite platform mate for the next generation SC
Great post, I agree with it. Lotus does need volume though and being attached to Toyota can mean platform/part sharing and a way to increase volume as well.

Old 06-01-11, 01:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They already use Toyota engines and Toyota could use the infusion of sportiness. I think its a good business decision and would be great for the image of both companies. Lotus is coming out with a number of new models soon. I know they were thinking about a supercharged Toyota V8 for the new Esprit but they axed it. Maybe if Toyots buys them the SC v8 will be back.