Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: 2015 Ford Mustang to get 2.3-liter EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Rumormill: 2015 Ford Mustang to get 2.3-liter EcoBoost

Rumormill: 2015 Ford Mustang to get 2.3-liter EcoBoost

It's that time of year again, kids. There are no auto shows on the horizon and most automakers have squirreled away all of their big announcements for later in the year in anticipation of the summer vacation season. What's an enterprising auto journo to do but rustle up some tasty vintage rumors for the web to feast upon? The crew at Motor Authority has taken to citing unnamed sources as saying that a 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine is slated to find its way into the engine bay of the 2015 Ford Mustang.

This, of course, recalls the much-celebrated (but slow-selling) Mustang SVO of the '80s. It, too, rocked a 2.3-liter forced-induction engine, which makes this particular rumor sound so sweet it makes sugar taste just like salt. MA doesn't stop with the four-pot, though. The article goes on to say that an EcoBoost V6 will also show up in the pony car around the same time, and that the 5.0-liter V8 currently tucked behind the coupe's grill will also stay along for the ride.

We hate to be the Debbie Downers of the interwebs, but we don't necessarily see a turbo four sliding into the Mustang lineup anytime soon. For starters, Ford wouldn't need to bore out the block to 2.3 liters to make solid power. The EcoBoost 2.0 already spits out 247 horsepower in the Focus ST – more than enough for a bottom-rung model.

Aside from that little tidbit, MA maintains that the rumored small 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 will power the also oft-rumored next-gen Ford Ranger successor in the States, a model we believe to be deader than the current news cycle.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/01/2...iter-ecoboost/
Old 06-01-11, 03:10 PM
Hoovey689

I see this as very plausible. With the decreasing amount of 4 cylinder turbo cars on the market, tuners would love to get their hands on a sporty car to tune hah
Old 06-01-11, 03:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could see a 2.5L Ecoboost being more realistic.
Old 06-01-11, 03:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my doubts about this engine in future Mustang.
Old 06-01-11, 03:48 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ It's hard to say. Turbos are very popular among tuners, but this takes away from the v8 growl. I could easily see the mustang crowd split over all motor or boost
Old 06-01-11, 04:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jadu
^^ It's hard to say. Turbos are very popular among tuners, but this takes away from the v8 growl. I could easily see the mustang crowd split over all motor or boost
Pretty much my thoughts. In all honesty the V6 already splits the crowd between sport and muscle (V6 Stang vs 370z, V8 Stang vs Camaro SS). And like I mentioned in my post above the decreasing amount of turbo 4's in cars would only make this offering that much sweeter for tuners. Considering there's still a few more years before the next generation Mustang comes out, only time will tell what direction Ford, Consumers, and Fuel Economy mandates will dictate. Till then, this gets tossed into the rumormill. Speculation is fun though
Old 06-01-11, 05:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Speculation is fun, especially when it comes to a pony car like the Mustang.
Old 06-01-11, 06:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

2015?

Lets go through 2012 first

:-)
Old 06-01-11, 06:53 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I want my Mustang to have 5.0 written on it.
Old 06-01-11, 08:25 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the pinto days are back!
Old 07-12-11, 08:41 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

New Ford Mustang set for world debut
Ford to bring legendary muscle car to UK showrooms for first time, dealers already being briefed ahead of its arrival

To coincide with the muscle car’s 50th anniversary in 2014, Ford will launch it across the world, and in right-hand drive for the first time.

Sources have revealed that dealers are being told to prepare for its arrival. The newcomer will sit at the top of the range alongside regular models such as the Fiesta and Focus in dealerships. It will be the most European-friendly version of the coupé ever – but will still be a proper Mustang, with V8s for the fastest models.

The company’s ‘One Ford’ strategy is behind the Mustang’s migration. To cut costs and reduce the number of models (and platforms) the firm makes globally, the all-new model will be a ‘world car’, sold in different markets virtually unchanged.

The Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo already follow this approach, and it means there is a business case for producing right-hand-drive Mustangs in the States and shipping them to Europe. But the UK won’t be the only right-hand-drive market the car is offered in; Australia and Japan will take the car, too.

An insider revealed: “The design studios in Europe and Australia are working on it, as well as those in America. It will be smaller and closer in spirit to the original 1964 Mustang.”

Our illustrations give you a good idea of how the new ‘pony’ car will look. It’s leaner and ever so slightly smaller, but still very mean, and packs all the visual aggression for which the legendary model has been famous. This includes recessed headlamps, a traditional C-pillar and triple lens tail-lights.

Yet while it harks back to Sixties Mustangs, the new car will be the most technically advanced version ever. It will be far lighter than the current model, for improved fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions.

Plus, for the first time, it’s set to feature independent rear suspension. As on the Chevrolet Camaro, this set-up replaces the decades-old live rear axle of the current car, and should mean better ride comfort and traction.

Power will come from a new 2.5-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost turbo with around 300bhp, while a range-topping 500bhp 5.4-litre V8 will be available, too. Six-speed manual and auto transmissions are likely to be offered with torque vectoring to keep the performance in check, while the handling is expected to be tuned by Jost Capito and his team at Ford’s Global Performance Vehicles arm.

We will see...
Old 07-12-11, 10:16 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That rear end for some reason reminds me of a Lotus design. I wanna say Elise ish? Maybe it's the slope of the trunk lid?
Old 07-12-11, 10:35 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Style= big

Dare I even speak of something below 3.0 <gulp>... but most defintely 2.3 ECO=

It's a MUSTANG

Butt Head: "Speculation is cool"
Old 07-12-11, 10:49 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver