Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The stupid plate tricks of Florida motorists

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11 | 11:47 PM
RXSF

ive always wondered about electronic tolls and new cars without plates on them...
Old 06-04-11 | 04:39 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
I'm still amazed Toll roads still exist in this country. You would have thought they would have been tossed out along with all the British...
It seems all states are looking at alternative road income schemes including hiring private companies to take over stretches of interstate highways and run them as toll roads. Many states have a flat tax on gasoline and diesel fuel. As the price goes up, the tax collected goes down as people drive less, buy higher MPG cars, or go electric.
Old 06-04-11 | 04:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

In Miami especially, we have seen roads that previously were free become toll roads, especially in southern Dade County. The new rule is that if you pass by a toll sensor and you don't have a Sunpass, they toll by plate, which means a slightly higher than normal charge (administrative fee they call it) that you will get in the mail or will be applied to your registration fee (if you haven't paid by then), as I understand it.

Certain stretches of road I could understand, but some of them don't make sense and given that we got a lot of federal money for roads, it seems these tolls are just another form of taxation.
Old 06-04-11 | 04:12 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I would just buy the tricplate and be done with it. Just flip a switch and no more visible license plate.
Old 06-04-11 | 06:20 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
In Miami especially, we have seen roads that previously were free become toll roads, especially in southern Dade County. The new rule is that if you pass by a toll sensor and you don't have a Sunpass, they toll by plate, which means a slightly higher than normal charge (administrative fee they call it) that you will get in the mail or will be applied to your registration fee (if you haven't paid by then), as I understand it.

Certain stretches of road I could understand, but some of them don't make sense and given that we got a lot of federal money for roads, it seems these tolls are just another form of taxation.
if u dont pay the toll by plate u get another fee added... as in ur bill comes for 40 dolars that month in a breakdown of like $1, $1.50, $1.25, etc. and if u dont pay it on time each one turns into $25.00. so ur new bill comes out to $25, $25, $25, $25, $25 etc. i hope i explained myself good... lol... i think even i am lost but watever it happened to me from now on i will pay it on time... lol problem is sometimes u dont even receive a paper for it. lady told me thats ur problem u want to be responsible get a sunpass or call weekly we are no responsible for the papers if they get lost in the mail.
Old 06-06-11 | 08:36 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I wish CA would make that legal. The plate number is still visible. Cops need everything clear and unobstructed.
It's not legal in NY either and just screams at cops to pull you over. No part of a NY plate can be covered, not even by the decorative dealer frame.
Old 06-06-11 | 09:43 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Man i would never try anything like that in CA. Cops bust you quick for passing thru the tolls here!

and lol @ the last pick of the Ford pick up truck with the "FastAzFuK" license plate frame
Old 06-06-11 | 10:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still amazed Toll roads still exist in this country. You would have thought they would have been tossed out along with all the British...
if the free option (free in the sense that its not out of pocket) sucks enough people would actually pay to use the privately owned one in spite of a free option. No different than private school vs public school.
Old 06-06-11 | 11:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

what? what do the british have to do with this?

anyway, i like toll roads like our florida turnpike because there's no tractor trailers on it, and it's in great shape and the service stops are MUCH nicer than interstates.
Old 06-06-11 | 02:15 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what? what do the british have to do with this?

Anyway, in all seriousness, to me Toll roads are "Un-American". You have to pay money to go from point A to point B, a tax on your freedom.
Old 06-06-11 | 02:20 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Florida's toll roads aren't THAT expensive. It ranges from about $.50 to $1.00, in my personal experience.

However, drive that daily, and I'm sure it adds up.

In some cases, you can take local roads around some of the tolls.

Turby
Old 06-06-11 | 05:04 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Turbinator
Florida's toll roads aren't THAT expensive. It ranges from about $.50 to $1.00, in my personal experience.

However, drive that daily, and I'm sure it adds up.

In some cases, you can take local roads around some of the tolls.

Turby
it does add up my old job which isnt that far used to cost me 85 dollars a month to get there... subtract that from ur pay check, it makes a difference . thats gas money! but atleast here in miami u can see ur tax dollars at work. like every higway i can think of is under contruction rigt now. suks for the car now but great for it later. smooth sailin'
Old 06-08-11 | 07:40 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Our cheapest tolls are 25 cents. It's really no big deal. Go surface streets if you don't like it.

We also have I95 Express which is a special lane on I95 that you can choose to take or not. The toll on it VARIES, depending on how bad the traffic is on the untolled lanes.

So if I95 is a parking lot, you have the option to take the escape route if you deem the variable toll (which is posted on electric signs) worth it.

I think that option is great to have. Better than choosing gridlock or gridlock.
Old 06-08-11 | 12:12 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

The motorcycle leg kick up is genius
Old 06-08-11 | 12:18 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bighitbike
The motorcycle leg kick up is genius
i used to do that on my bike till once i kicked off the license plate LMFAO! epic failure wish i had pics so u guys could laugh at my expence. thats wat happens wen ur a cheap ***. i deserved it!

note: my plate was on a custom cbr hinge attached to the rear swing arm next to the wheel.

Quick Reply: The stupid plate tricks of Florida motorists