Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM CEO: Lincoln is Over

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Hahaha, from the company that can't make a decent interior for squat.
Actually, GM's latest interiors ARE decent. In fact, some of them are more than decent, and, IMO, border on superb.....the same can't be said for Ford, even with the improved quality of some of Ford's newer products.

A new MKZ is coming, which I think will be very good for Ford. The MKZ hybrid is doing well, selling 569 units in May (compared to Caddy's only hybrid, the Escalade, 89 units in May). Sure, Lincoln may not have a V lineup, but they certainly have a nice balance of luxury, power, and efficieny going right now.
I agree that the lack of a Lincoln performance-division is not a significant matter. In fact, the Cadillac V-line doesn't seem to be selling that well, eother.
Old 06-07-11, 09:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Regardless what the GM CEO says (sales/marketing talk) the competition is good for car buying consumers.

Caddy appears to be going after a different dempographic than Lincoln, but in the end they'll both end up making better cars.
Old 06-07-11, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Caddy appears to be going after a different dempographic than Lincoln, but in the end they'll both end up making better cars.
I'm not sure one is after a different demographic than the other.. Both companies have either dropped, or are about to drop, their classic plush, soft-riding, luxo-cruisers in favor of smaller, more stiffly-sprung, more sport-oriented vehicles. Before the end of 2011, the big American soft-riding luxury-car will, unfortunately, be history. One nice thing, though, is that, despite the loss of ride-comfort, these new Caddies and Lincolns will have the useful AWD options that their predecessors lacked.
Old 06-07-11, 09:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

well i dont like how they try to bash everyone even if they are not doing so well... but at the end, he is right... cant compare caddy and Lincoln or even Buick.
Old 06-07-11, 11:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts

They both need to step their game up in my opinion. GM needs to work on better interiors for their cars and all of the Lincolns need to be redesigned.
Old 06-07-11, 01:58 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting sick of GM's trash talk as of late. Kind of full of themselves for a company that was an inch away from eternity just a couple of years ago.
Old 06-07-11, 09:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
They both need to step their game up in my opinion. GM needs to work on better interiors for their cars and all of the Lincolns need to be redesigned.
They ARE doing better interiors now....in some cases, MUCH better. Check out almost any new latest-generation GM model with the version it is replacing.....I think you'll see for yourself.

Sadly, however, the new Volt's interior, IMO, is ridiculous...it is one of the rare exceptions (I just reviewed a Volt a couple of weeks ago).
Old 06-07-11, 09:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
all of the Lincolns need to be redesigned.
Well, when I look at their grilles, I can't disagree

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-07-11 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 02:52 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In terms of marketing, when I think Caddy, I actually think of MB, BMW, Audi. When I think of Lincoln, I think more of the older Caddys and Buick. Cadillac has done a good job or reestablishing the company's reputation. Lincoln is still confused as to where they want to belong, traditional American luxury or world class autobahn burner. Caddy has chosen the latter and Buick represents the former. Where does Lincoln want to be?
Old 06-08-11, 08:04 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

What's with this guy lately? Claiming Lincoln is dead, there needs to be a dollar gas tax, the deficit is too big, GM is a long-term buy...

This guy is a joke, in a position he is in no way qualified for. GM shareholders, if there really are any, should be very scared.
Old 06-08-11, 10:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meanwhile, today...

"General Motors CEO Dan Akerson asserts that Cadillac’s upcoming ATS and XTS sedans will be 'competitive' in the luxury-car segment and will outperform Ford’s Lincoln but won’t be likely to beat its foremost rivals..."
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/cadillacs...f-says-gm-ceo/

So, you trash talk Lincoln, then say that your own next generation products are sub par? Very classy sir, very classy.
Old 06-08-11, 10:43 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I hope one day Cadillac becomes its own brand and not be part of GM anymore.
Old 06-08-11, 10:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

very classy gm

why don't you worry about your own product and not worry about someone else's

I'll support Ford any day over gm.
Old 06-08-11, 10:47 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2

I agree. It appears that the age demographic is about the same but Cadillac seems to be going after a mature audience in search of recapturing their youth. Lincoln, on the other hand seems to be going after a mature audience, period.
Old 06-08-11, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
In terms of marketing, when I think Caddy, I actually think of MB, BMW, Audi. When I think of Lincoln, I think more of the older Caddys and Buick. Cadillac has done a good job or reestablishing the company's reputation. Lincoln is still confused as to where they want to belong, traditional American luxury or world class autobahn burner. Caddy has chosen the latter and Buick represents the former. Where does Lincoln want to be?
I don't totally agree that Buick still represents the former....most Buicks are simply not Buicks any more, except for the Lucerne. In fact, their latest addition, the Regal, is pretty much a rebadged sport-oriented German Opel Insignia.

IMO, once the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS are gone next year, there will be NO vehicles left representing traditional American Luxury. Sadly, it will be extinct. Those who want a true luxury car beneath the Rolls/Bentley/Maybach class will have to look at a Lexus LS460, Mercedes S550, or Hyundai Equus.....non-American nameplates.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-11 at 08:33 PM.