Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Civic Hybrid tests Honda's new strategy

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 07:59 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up with the Civic HF? Just thinner tires and a lower riding height?
Old 07-13-11, 08:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I'm going to agree with mmarshall on this one. I think the Prius sells more b/c it's image/publicity machine. I really doubt most Prius owner know anything about the 4 things you listed above but I bet they can tell you what movie star drives a Prius. IMO I think both cars are a waste. I want something that either uses no gas or I'll just purchase a cheap 4 cylinder car and call it a day.
thats crap... Prius drivers are highly educated about their cars.

it is also quite silly to say that people dont know when one car is more spacious than another or has twice the trunk space, or gets 20% better mpg, etc, etc.
Old 07-13-11, 08:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IceSC
This goes back to the reason why hybrids will never replace gasoline engines. Why would someone pay an almost 10 grand markup on a civic hybrid to save a few dollars in gas each week?
10k if you compare fully specced hybrid with nav to base 4cly with nothing inside.

otherwise, hybrids lately get such good resale values that it pays for itself, lol.
Old 07-13-11, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
otherwise, hybrids lately get such good resale values that it pays for itself, lol.
If hybrids, though, become too pricey in the used-car market, than a lot of potyential buyers might say the hell with it, just go ahead and buy a new one, even with (possible) supply-limitations and almost-certain dealer mark-ups. Why buy used for X number of $$$$$, if and when you can buy new for virtually the same money? I'm not sure of this (?) but I don't think that a used-hybrid purchase qualifies for tax-credits like a new one does either.
Old 07-13-11, 09:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If hybrids, though, become too pricey in the used-car market, than a lot of potyential buyers might say the hell with it, just go ahead and buy a new one, even with (possible) supply-limitations and almost-certain dealer mark-ups. Why buy used for X number of $$$$$, if and when you can buy new for virtually the same money? I'm not sure of this (?) but I don't think that a used-hybrid purchase qualifies for tax-credits like a new one does either.
why people do things they do? who knows... but plenty of people sold their 2 year old Prius's for price of new ones in the past 2 months.

But this whole idea of recovering your cost while taking ONLY cost of fuel into equation is ridicilous.... by that measurement, nobody would ever buy an V6 Camry, because it costs 15k more than 4cly. And then you spend more gas too.

While Prius isnt faster than 1.8l Corolla or 2.5l Camry, there is novelty feel-good factor in there, it is just not speed.

On the other hand, Camry Hybrid and GSh are also faster as well as more economical. But their main problem was poor trunk space which effectively makes them city cars and which apparently has been solved in 2012 Camry.
Old 07-13-11, 09:36 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The new Civic hybrid will continue to be a sales failure. I don't get why Honda is having such a difficult time at least matching the Prius. If you can't match the Prius, don't bother building a half assed attempt [Insight]. That's why no other company has tried either - because they can't do it and do it for $23K like Toyota. Others are entering the market with a different approach (Volt, Leaf, ect.). Nobody's going to pay $41K for the Volt that offers little advantage to the $23K Prius.

I know how mmarshal feels about the Prius' build quality but IMO it is the most well built Prius to date and it is significantly more upscale than either the Civic or Insight which are very plasticy economy cars compared to the Prius.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 07-13-11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-13-11, 10:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

You need to have someone willing to pay for it over a new one first...that's going to be difficult. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Again...even a 5-6k grand markup for a few dollars worth of savings per month over an already high MPG gas civic is a poor value proposition.

If I recall, one of the heads of Toyota was quoted as saying how their Hybrid's don't make sense in terms economic savings. If people are looking at environmental benefits, hybrids are horrible to the environment in terms of mining for their batteries. Many of the areas they get the batteries from are virtually uninhabitable due to environmental impact and are highly susceptible to acid rain. The very people that should be boycotting hybrids because of this, are the people that pay a premium for them.
Hybrids aren't the answer. So far diesel and maybe hydrogen very long term are the only realistic replacements for petrol engines.
you are completely wrong in everything you wrote.

Toyota sold over 3 million hybrids.
Batteries are 100% recyclable.
Same materials that go into hybrid batteries go to your laptop, remote, children toys, phones, tablets, etc. There is no difference there except that those sell a ton more than hybrid vehicle and in most world countries are not going to be recycled at all.
Old 07-13-11, 10:46 AM
LexFather

Its stunning to think Honda continues to fail with their hybrids or assist cars. Insight, Civic, CR-Z...You would think they would have then sown up by now.

I do have to say if they get the hydrogen car right though, mahn they are going to be way ahead of most everyone.

Old 07-13-11, 10:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

They have gotten their hydrogen car right. The only thing stopping them is the limited amount of fueling station. If Prius owners are overjoyed by the fact that they're leaving a small carbon footprint, then I can't imagine how wet they'll get when they drive around in a Honda FCX.
Old 07-13-11, 11:08 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats crap... Prius drivers are highly educated about their cars.

it is also quite silly to say that people dont know when one car is more spacious than another or has twice the trunk space, or gets 20% better mpg, etc, etc.
Sure they are! etc, etc
IMO just hype. It's a image car, maybe one day I'll purchase one. Nothing against the Prius or Insight I just don't think either car is a smart car to purchase to save money on gas.

Last edited by rogers2; 07-13-11 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-13-11, 11:10 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Civic Hybrid fails on every level. I cannot understand why anyone would pick one over the prius.

Smaller
weaker
Less MPG
More expensive
Not a "Full Hybrid"

I mean ... just looking at the facts shows the prius is a better value for your money.
Old 07-13-11, 11:38 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't think either car is a smart car to purchase to save money on gas.
Funniest post in this thread.
Old 07-13-11, 12:14 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

You need to have someone willing to pay for it over a new one first...that's going to be difficult. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Again...even a 5-6k grand markup for a few dollars worth of savings per month over an already high MPG gas civic is a poor value proposition.

If I recall, one of the heads of Toyota was quoted as saying how their Hybrid's don't make sense in terms economic savings. If people are looking at environmental benefits, hybrids are horrible to the environment in terms of mining for their batteries. Many of the areas they get the batteries from are virtually uninhabitable due to environmental impact and are highly susceptible to acid rain. The very people that should be boycotting hybrids because of this, are the people that pay a premium for them.
Hybrids aren't the answer. So far diesel and maybe hydrogen very long term are the only realistic replacements for petrol engines.
OK. What is your next argument -- that the Hummer is more environmentally friendly than the Prius? That whole argument is SOOO old and has already been debunked.

Allow me to address JUST the nickel-metal hydride battery issue.

YES, nickel is mined in Sudbury, Canada. YES, 30/40 years ago it was a wasteland, but it has since been cleaned up and Sudbury has won awards for what they have done to bring back the local area. The pictures published to support the Hummer-is-more-environmentally-friendly-than-a-Prius argument are ancient photos; you would not recognize Sudbury now if all you had seen were those photos.

NO, nickel is not JUST used for the hybrid battery in the Prius. It was used for ALL hybrid batteries (Toyota/Lexus, Ford, Honda, etc.) until recently. It was used for years in cellphone and other rechargeable batteries for years. Remember the NiCd batteries?

Nickel is also used in chrome plating (the real stuff, not the plastic stuff). Do you have any chrome on your car? Remember those big chrome bumpers on those huge American cars of yesteryear? Nickel was in there.

Nickel is also used in stainless steel. You rely on stainless steel every day. Stainless steel exhaust systems don't rust out in 2 or 3 years. Stainless steel is in the pots and pans you use every day. Stainless steel is in the knives, forks and spoons you use every day.

Diesels are not the answer. The exhaust is filthy. The urea scrubbers only take care of the NOX emissions. And what if you forget to refill the urea tank? There is still the particulate emissions that can be really dangerous to those with breathing problems.

If you were really concerned about the environment, you would not be driving; you would not be riding in diesel buses; you would not even be riding metal bicycles; you would be walking.
Old 07-13-11, 02:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Sure they are! etc, etc
IMO just hype. It's a image car, maybe one day I'll purchase one. Nothing against the Prius or Insight I just don't think either car is a smart car to purchase to save money on gas.
The Prius isn't just hype and image. Well over 2 million units sold is hardly "hype". Sure, there's some who purchase a Prius without cracking the numbers, but most do and still buy knowing it's not the most economic choice. There's a lot more to the Prius than economics alone.

Those wanting purely economic transportation, buy a Yaris in the Toyota lineup. Many, however, do not want an economy car, but still want stellar fuel economy. That is where the Prius comes in. Is this so hard to understand?

If you take away the hybrid components of a Prius, you're still left with a $20K class car, and one that would probably only be good for 35 mpg. A few grand more gets you 50. Point is, is that the Prius isn't a $23K economy car, but rather a Camry class alternative, and therefore very much worth its price. A Prius IV or V, not so much.
Old 07-14-11, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its stunning to think Honda continues to fail with their hybrids or assist cars. Insight, Civic, CR-Z...You would think they would have then sown up by now.

I do have to say if they get the hydrogen car right though, man they are going to be way ahead of most everyone.
Honda is not necessarily ahead of Mercedes on hydrogen/fuel-cell cars. M-B has been working on fuel-cell A and B-Class models for several years......we just haven't seen them here in the U.S. yet. M-B management continues to stubbornly resist bringing ANY of the A or B-Class models to the U.S.....including the fuel-cells.

Quick Reply: Civic Hybrid tests Honda's new strategy