Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Civic Hybrid tests Honda's new strategy

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 09:51 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceSC
You are putting words into my mouth.

1) I didn't say new hybrids aren't selling new. I just said stated the obvious that people aren't prone to purchasing used cars that are near the new value. What's the relevance to what I wrote?
2) Where did I say batteries aren't recyable?
3) Your 3rd point is true, but doesn't really apply to what I said for two reasons: 1) As you implied, the batteries that go into hybrids are huge in comparison to what goes into the others you mentioned. At least a 50-100X more lithium ion is used. There is no relevance to a comparison of the other devices you list. 2) People don't buy the other items in an effort to help the environment, they do with hybrids. Thus the size of the hybrid battery in combination with ignorant hybrid buyers paying markup solely for the environmental benefit is the reason why I mentioned that.

Overall, hybrids are a good step, but overpriced for what they offer, and not totally environmentally friendly.
Take a look at used car prices for Prius, and Tacoma's, used prices are close to new, and they continue to be priced near it because people are willing to pay for it, not just based on typical used car math

Take a look at Camry XLE vs Camry Hybrid, those two are closely matched in features, yet the price difference is less than $400

So how is a car that gets better MPG and is quicker overpriced technology?
Old 07-14-11, 09:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda is not necessarily ahead of Mercedes on hydrogen/fuel-cell cars. M-B has been working on fuel-cell A and B-Class models for several years......we just haven't seen them here in the U.S. yet. M-B management continues to stubbornly resist bringing ANY of the A or B-Class models to the U.S.....including the fuel-cells.
The thing is, the Honda FCX is practically ready to be sold. The only thing stopping it is the limited amount of fueling station. FCX is already in America so if anything, you'll most likely see a Honda hydrogen car before you see an A/B-class.

I honestly don't get turned on with full electric cars because they take forever to charge. Honda claims that the FCX tank can be refueled in 5 minutes. That's leaps and bounds ahead of most full-electric cars. It seems Honda rather dump the money into their hydrogen cars than hybrids. They're putting out cars like the Insight and CR-Z just for the sake of having a hybrid.
Old 07-14-11, 10:38 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Funniest post in this thread.
I guess it all depends on how you view hy. I don't care how many hy Toyota sells.
I can see purchasing a hy for more power but never a 4 cylinder hy to save money when it's at a premium. Save the extra 4k - 6k and purchase a 4 cylinder Yaris or Civic and call it a day. I guess it's something special about own a Prius since it's such a hit here. But I'll pass.

I don't keep cars over 3 to 4 years so I see no point.
Old 07-14-11, 05:44 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by rogers2
I guess it all depends on how you view hy. I don't care how many hy Toyota sells.
I can see purchasing a hy for more power but never a 4 cylinder hy to save money when it's at a premium. Save the extra 4k - 6k and purchase a 4 cylinder Yaris or Civic and call it a day. I guess it's something special about own a Prius since it's such a hit here. But I'll pass.

It's not just about MPG, it's about the overall car and the features and equipment the Prius has over the smaller cars that good MPG
Old 07-14-11, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I don't care how many hy Toyota sells.
it is just proof that people like hybrids... if you dont, buy something else.

With Toyota selling 700,000 hybrids this year alone (more than complete Subaru brand worldwide), people have recognized what Prius and other hybrids offer.

You are stuck in the stone age... its fine, but dont tell us how it sucks because it doesnt.
Old 07-14-11, 08:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

See my last post (32). The Prius isn't comparable to a B-segment car. It's more comparable to a Camry.

It's like saying why pay $6K more to buy a Camry over a Yaris, just get the Yaris and call it a day.

And since you don't own cars for more than 3-4 years, you're a very different demographic when it comes to economics. This practice is very expensive. A majority of people base their car purchase economics on owning the car for much longer, going 100-200K+. This is also where buying a Prius makes more sense. Many Prius owners drive much more than average, inflating the gas savings.
Old 07-15-11, 12:31 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

When they talk about "2 motor hybrids" - those are full hybrids and Honda is obviously working on them. Great!
Well, BAE Systems beat Honda to the punch about 10 years earlier in hybrid buses using a series hybrid system.
Old 07-15-11, 04:04 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is just proof that people like hybrids... if you dont, buy something else.

With Toyota selling 700,000 hybrids this year alone (more than complete Subaru brand worldwide), people have recognized what Prius and other hybrids offer.

You are stuck in the stone age... its fine, but dont tell us how it sucks because it doesnt.
No need to get personal.
I never said hybrids sucks, I just don't see the point in buying a 4 cylinder hybrid at a premium unless it offers something very special.

-J-P-L- understand what i'm saying. I don't keep cars over 3 to 4 years so a 4 cylinder hybrid is useless to me.
Old 07-15-11, 05:29 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

No need to get personal.
I never said hybrids sucks, I just don't see the point in buying a 4 cylinder hybrid at a premium unless it offers something very special.

-J-P-L- understand what i'm saying. I don't keep cars over 3 to 4 years so a 4 cylinder hybrid is useless to me.
I don't think there's any point in a hybrid unless it's a 4-cylinder.

Also, you don't have to convince me of economics, I drive a Yaris for reasons that you mention. It's all based on individual desires though.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 07-15-11 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-15-11, 07:43 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Haven't we had this discussion before? If the argument is that it is a waste to buy a hybrid vehicle at a premium price because you could get a cheaper, almost-as-efficient, smaller car for less money, we could easily and very logically extend the argument to other cars...

Why buy a LS -- why not buy a smaller, cheaper, more efficient Avalon?

Why buy a GS 350 -- why not buy a cheaper, more efficient 4-cyl Camry? We don't even need to ask about the GS 460.

Why buy an IS 250 or IS 350 -- why not buy a cheaper, much more efficient Corolla?

Why buy an RX 350 -- why not buy a cheaper, more efficient 4-cyl Venza? Actually, there is an even better option. Why not consider a 4-cyl RAV4 with the optional 3rd row? It is cheaper, more efficient, yet STILL offers more seating positions! Wow!

Why buy an ES 350 -- why not buy its cheaper, more efficient fraternal twin, the Camry? But then, why buy the V6 Camry when the 4-cyl is the same car, but more efficient and cheaper?

Oh wait, what then is the use of the Lexus brand? You could get a cheaper, more efficient (and not necessarily smaller) Toyota?
Old 07-15-11, 09:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

No need to get personal.

it is not being personal, you are like that guy that still preferred fax over email (back in 2005), and eventually even he had to use email at the end.

4cly hybrid does offer something special.... in Prius, you get novelty and luxury compared to traditional 4clys, in Camry Hybrid you get almost v6 speed, but with 36 mpg averages.

In GS450h again, you get 25mpg average car that is faster than V8 in some cases, let alone V6.

4 million people are not stupid for buying hybrid vehicles. People in general are not dumb. There is a lot of hype of Volt and yet they manage only 500 sales per month.