Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Urgent leasing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 06:29 PM
somatic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if there was a special rate involved, it does NOT MATTER if you put a deposit down at the time. Unless a lease contract is drawned up, signed, submitted, and approved within the timeframe of the special, the dealership can not secure the rate. When I was selling Toyotas I had to deal with this all the time: someone wants 0%, but the cars gonna take three weeks to get there. If the special rate wasn't renewed by Toyota for the next month, then the dealership AND the customer were S.O.L.

P.S. The reason a dealer can't just send the documents off is that there's no telling what the VIN will be. They may try to get the car from another dealer, but if that other dealer says no, they'd have to redo all of the contracts. As it took 7weeks, they most likely were just waiting for their nxt allocation

Last edited by somatic; 06-07-11 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 06:31 PM
somatic
Rookie

Originally Posted by acheparev
You don't want to put any money down on a lease. If you drive off the lot, and get into an accident and the car is totaled, you just lost the money you put down.
a lot of lease specials are required by the manufacturer to have money down. it just depends on if it IS a lease special, or just a regular lease
Old 06-07-11, 06:42 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by acheparev
You don't want to put any money down on a lease. If you drive off the lot, and get into an accident and the car is totaled, you just lost the money you put down.
If your worried about losing money, you would not lease
Old 06-07-11, 06:50 PM
somatic
Rookie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
lol so true
Old 06-07-11, 08:41 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They slowly came down to within $5 of original deal as i raised hell with the manager. Unfortunately my gf really liked the car and really can't be without a car due to work. So she took the deal. It was still a very good price. $275/month with $2800 total out of pocket for the gls Awd model. That includes all dealer and dmv fees. I didn't want to do it but she just wanted the car. Ugh. Not professional at all.
Old 06-07-11, 08:43 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Eh. She likes leases as she wants a new car every few years. Eventually i need to wean her off leases and join me in buying everything cash money. LOL.
Old 06-07-11, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
They slowly came down to within $5 of original deal as i raised hell with the manager. Unfortunately my gf really liked the car and really can't be without a car due to work. So she took the deal. It was still a very good price. $275/month with $2800 total out of pocket for the gls Awd model. That includes all dealer and dmv fees. I didn't want to do it but she just wanted the car. Ugh. Not professional at all.
Congragulations on the new car. The original deal, you said, was for $269 a month. IMO, a mere $6 a month more is nothing...especially if it's the car/ options/color she wants.

Break-ins are not as critical now as they once were, but, for the first 500-1000 miles, it's still a good idea to take it easy on the engine, keep the RPMs below 4000, vary the engine speed, and don't brake or accelerate full-force. Consider an oil change, too, after the first couple of thousand miles or so....the first oil change is usually the most important one. Even if she is only going to keep it a few years, you don't want it to end up being an oil-burner.
Old 06-08-11, 02:27 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations on the new car. The original deal, you said, was for $269 a month. IMO, a mere $6 a month more is nothing...especially if it's the car/ options/color she wants.

Break-ins are not as critical now as they once were, but, for the first 500-1000 miles, it's still a good idea to take it easy on the engine, keep the RPMs below 4000, vary the engine speed, and don't brake or accelerate full-force. Consider an oil change, too, after the first couple of thousand miles or so....the first oil change is usually the most important one. Even if she is only going to keep it a few years, you don't want it to end up being an oil-burner.
Very true. I gave in and put aside my anger and frustration over the ordeal with the dealer. In the end it was still a very good deal for the car, she had been waiting for this exact option/color/car combo for the longest time, really loves the new Tucson, and was in need of a car ASAP as we had returned the prior lease the day before. I guess in my mind I rounded the $269 up to $270 to appease my subconscious, LOL. Yes $6 is really nothing.

Been doing this for awhile, and I've been reading your excellent reviews and car care advice for a long time! I definitely know to keep the revs low and vary the speed in the beginning. I plan on doing the first oil and filter change at the 1k mark, then following the severe oil change schedule from then on out. Did that on the SC300 back in 1993 (wow), on my MB, and the FJ. Even if this is only a lease, I take care of my cars.

Thanks for all the comments and advice eventhough I went against the majority advice (and my initial gut instinct), in the end, a good car at a great price, and a happy little lady (which is all that really matters in the end, cause when she's happy, I'm happy... when she's upset, I'm miserable. LOL)
Old 06-08-11, 03:41 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

They can lock you into a deal, until the car is ready. I worked in a leasing company and we needed all you're info with credit approval and deposit to lock you into a deal. They just trying to make extra $1000 profit from you.
Old 06-08-11, 08:58 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Very true. I gave in and put aside my anger and frustration over the ordeal with the dealer. In the end it was still a very good deal for the car, she had been waiting for this exact option/color/car combo for the longest time, really loves the new Tucson, and was in need of a car ASAP as we had returned the prior lease the day before. I guess in my mind I rounded the $269 up to $270 to appease my subconscious, LOL. Yes $6 is really nothing.

Been doing this for awhile, and I've been reading your excellent reviews and car care advice for a long time! I definitely know to keep the revs low and vary the speed in the beginning. I plan on doing the first oil and filter change at the 1k mark, then following the severe oil change schedule from then on out. Did that on the SC300 back in 1993 (wow), on my MB, and the FJ. Even if this is only a lease, I take care of my cars.

Thanks for all the comments and advice eventhough I went against the majority advice (and my initial gut instinct), in the end, a good car at a great price, and a happy little lady (which is all that really matters in the end, cause when she's happy, I'm happy... when she's upset, I'm miserable. LOL)
You made a right decision. Live happily......
Old 06-08-11, 09:27 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Lessons learned from all this:

Original price you settle on at the time of a deposit is only valid for up to 30 days... after which expect to have to renegotiate.

If you wait for 7 weeks for a particular option/color, ball is in their court.

If you threaten to demand your deposit back and are intent on walking out, dealers will start flailing and throwing numbers out at you. Ball back in your court.

Keep the significant other in your life happy. LOL
Old 06-08-11, 10:58 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you like the car. Ask for a few free oil changes for having to wait 7 weeks for the car.
Old 06-08-11, 11:30 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?
Old 06-08-11, 12:17 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's ridiculous. Many well-off people lease, be it for persona preference or business reasons. Look at the lease take rates for BMW (M) and Mercedes (AMG) compared to purchase and you'll be very surprised. No matter how wealthy you are, nobody likes losing several thousand dollars instantly for no good reason.
Old 06-08-11, 01:31 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
How on earth did you come to that conclusion?
Originally Posted by RX_330
That's ridiculous. Many well-off people lease, be it for persona preference or business reasons. Look at the lease take rates for BMW (M) and Mercedes (AMG) compared to purchase and you'll be very surprised. No matter how wealthy you are, nobody likes losing several thousand dollars instantly for no good reason.
I guess you guys leased leasing is for a select few, leasing a hyundai while working a 9-5 with no end in sight is not what I would call setting yourself up with a comfortable retirement, leasing is just a monthly payment on a car you should never have even looked at

Im not against leasing, Im against people convincing themselves to lease just cause

The M and AMG are leased by people who can't truly afford them, when returned, bald tires, oil has never been changed, rough engines running on some cheap mixture of regular and premium

Quick Reply: Urgent leasing question