Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Urgent leasing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 11:26 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Urgent leasing question

My girlfriend is leasing a Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD and settled on a price of $269/month with $2700 out of pocket at signing. With that agreement, she put down a $500 deposit. She was waiting for 7 weeks for them to get one in the color she wanted. Now it is time to pick up the car and they are stating that was a promotional price and that the monthly payment will have to be $295/month.

I realize this is pretty sleazy on their part. When she signed the original agreement, there was a promotional deal going on, but not on the particular trim she requested. Is there anything binding on the paperwork? I'm pretty pissed off. I will definitely be posting up the name of the dealership if we don't end up getting the car. But after waiting for so long, it is very underhanded of them to try and change the pricing of the original agreement.

Do I have any recourse? Or is it basically a take it or leave it proposition on my end? Quick reply is appreciated since we are heading to the dealership this afternoon around 5pm. Thanks guys.
Old 06-07-11, 11:31 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't like the terms and haven't committed to anything, then don't sign and walk away. If she is looking for a rare color or trim that is not available at any of your local dealers, then it doesn't sound that far fetched to me for them to want a higher price.

The promotion would have said what was included or excluded in terms of trim levels.
Old 06-07-11, 11:39 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

I know, just upsets me that they had us waiting for 7 weeks and now at the time of pickup, they want to change the terms of the lease. Like a bait and swap, but with the price... The promotion was for the same car, but different options (no AWD) so would not have been part of the promotional pricing. Trust me, we will be walking away of they don't adhere to original agreement.
Old 06-07-11, 11:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Another question to ask yourself is if you want to give business to a dealer that uses shady tactics. Any dealer that tells me I should act quickly because someone else has their eyes on the same car will get a handshake and a good luck selling it to them comment
Old 06-07-11, 11:58 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But they may not have been shady. Sounds like she wanted a specific color that wasn't available and the first one that became available has AWD as an option. So it's up to you to decide how much that color means to your girlfriend.

I don't see any reason why if she wanted a more available color they wouldn't honor the original promotion adhering to its terms.

To ask the dealer to take a $30 a month hit by giving you AWD for free is a bit much.
Old 06-07-11, 12:02 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty sleazy (although common unfortunately) move by the dealer. I would just move on - I wouldn't be able to trust continuing any sort of business on the sales side with this dealer after this. I also think putting money down out of pocket for a lease is a bad idea in itself.
Old 06-07-11, 12:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think it all depends on what the agreement was about. was there a time line, what's the fine print? if it says all the details, no time line, and dealer needs to honor the price, etc... then you either get that price or you take the deposit back and walk. period. if not all details are mentioned, then it's really your problem with the dealership.

my bottom line is, if i think dealership is in the wrong, and i can get my money back, i will take the money and leave. i don't care if it's a hard to find color. i need to make sure i spend my money happily
Old 06-07-11, 12:17 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Its definitely a take it or leave it, you can file complainst to BBB, consumer affair, & etc. <-- That's up to you, won't do you any good but will hurt the dealer & the hyundai brand.

Its AWD so it cost more, I think they gave you the option to move-up or leave it as they can't get one with your option. Don't like it??? Move on & they lose a sale. I'm 100% sure they won't comply with the original $269 for a AWD & there's no point to sale a car that don't generate profit. I found this to be a normal case, nothing shady about it.

Of course, if they want you to pay more for one with exact same spec, then its a different story
Old 06-07-11, 01:13 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

No. The original deal was for the Tucson gls Awd. We agreed on a price and put the deposit down. They said they would get the car in the color she requested. We waited 7 weeks and they told us cast was in and then agreed on today to pick it up. This morning they called and stayed they were increasing the price on the monthly. This was not part of a promotion or anything like that. Just upset. Shady dealer.
Old 06-07-11, 01:17 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T0ked
No. The original deal was for the Tucson gls Awd. We agreed on a price and put the deposit down. They said they would get the car in the color she requested. We waited 7 weeks and they told us cast was in and then agreed on today to pick it up. This morning they called and stayed they were increasing the price on the monthly. This was not part of a promotion or anything like that. Just upset. Shady dealer.
Did the terms of the financing change? I've not known dealers to lock an interest rate like they would a mortgage.

When you say "promotional" you most likely refer to a special rate. If you don't finalize the deal before that promotional rate expires, then you don't get that rate.

There is nothing shady or sleazy about this sort of practice one bit.
Old 06-07-11, 02:00 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Did the terms of the financing change? I've not known dealers to lock an interest rate like they would a mortgage.

When you say "promotional" you most likely refer to a special rate. If you don't finalize the deal before that promotional rate expires, then you don't get that rate.

There is nothing shady or sleazy about this sort of practice one bit.
Are you kidding me??? you call this not shady

not sure about mortgage, but when you paid deposit for a house, its not legal for seller to raise the price on the day of closing. Its call "breach contract"

Although it may not legally apply to car sale, its definitelty a shady move by the dealer!! You don;t paid deposit until the final price is settle
Old 06-07-11, 03:57 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you signed the deal for the specific car/options and obviously color, for the promotional price, then the 7 weeks does not matter, they are trying to screw you, walk away, go to another dealer.

The whole point of signing the deal, which says your agreeing to the price is so they keep you as a customer
Old 06-07-11, 04:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just walk... simple enough right?
Old 06-07-11, 05:30 PM
LexFather

Hyundai dealer is shady.....not news

Old 06-07-11, 06:01 PM
acheparev
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't want to put any money down on a lease. If you drive off the lot, and get into an accident and the car is totaled, you just lost the money you put down.

Quick Reply: Urgent leasing question