Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: Ford cancels seven-passenger C-Max for U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Official: Ford cancels seven-passenger C-Max for U.S.

Official: Ford cancels seven-passenger C-Max for U.S., focuses solely on Hybrid and Energi models

Turns out Americans won't be getting another crack at a Euro-style mini minivan. Ford has officially canceled plans for its seven-passenger C-Max for the United States. Fans of small-in-stature MPVs may still be able to find what they are looking for in the Mazda5, but definitely not in Ford dealerships.

The retraction of the seven-seater means the U.S. market will be left with the C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi electric vehicle. These vehicles eschew the minivan-spec sliding side doors in favor of four regularly hinged portals and a rear hatchback. The Hybrid is expected to boast better than 41 miles per gallon on the highway, while the plug-in Energi promises to boast 500 miles of driving range from its battery and gasoline engine combined, along with better fuel efficiency than the Chevrolet Volt. We look forward to verifying those claims.

Ford is keen to point out that the C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi (yep, spelled with an 'i') models will be built alongside its 2012 Ford Focus and Focus Electric at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mich. Why is that important? Assuming all goes to plan, Wayne will be the first plant in the world to produce gasoline-powered vehicles, full-electric vehicles, hybrid and plug-in hybrids under the same roof.

If you'd like, you're free to peruse the official press release after the break, which is not surprisingly focused much more on the two promised green-mobile five-seaters than on the death of the seven-seater. Now, if you'll excuse us for a moment, we're going to don our solid-black Sunday Bests and mourn the passing of Ford's planned seven-seater. Poor thing never even had a chance...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/09/f...ca-focuses-so/
Old 06-09-11, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't understand Ford's marketing here (but, with auto marketers, they often don't make sense) Even if the company keeps the electric and hybrid versions, the traditional gas version would have been an excellent, lower-cost addition to its line-up, and would also have been an excellent competitor to the Mazda5.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-09-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-09-11, 11:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ yeah I don't understand, bad decision I think. If anything they should have offered it initially and seen how sales were, then decided whether to keep it or not
Old 06-09-11, 01:37 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Ford decided that there isn't a sufficient market for a small 7-seat vehicle. I tend to agree with them. I'll be interested in seeing the 5-seat hybrid, though.
Old 06-09-11, 01:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

What is so hard to understand here? Time and time again, cars like these (wagons, and hatchbacks) are generally slow sellers or failures here in the U.S. The numbers don't lie and history is very clear here. The Mazda 5 was a total flop and the new one is also. Why would Ford want to follow along the same recipe? This was a smart move to drop it.
Old 06-09-11, 02:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What is so hard to understand here? Time and time again, cars like these (wagons, and hatchbacks) are generally slow sellers or failures here in the U.S. The numbers don't lie and history is very clear here. The Mazda 5 was a total flop and the new one is also. Why would Ford want to follow along the same recipe? This was a smart move to drop it.
they didnt drop the C-Max, they dropped 7 seat version only... you are still getting 5 seater petrol, 5 seater hybrid and 5 seater PHEV.
Old 06-09-11, 05:07 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
they didnt drop the C-Max, they dropped 7 seat version only... you are still getting 5 seater petrol, 5 seater hybrid and 5 seater PHEV.
My understanding is that in the US, Ford will only produce a 5 seat hybrid and 5 seat PHEV, but no gasser - a first for Ford.
Old 06-09-11, 05:09 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

they should have just included the 7 seater as an option. Is the mazda5 5 or 7?
Old 06-09-11, 06:44 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jadu
The Mazda 5 seats 6 in 3 rows. What's on second.
Old 06-09-11, 07:53 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Originally Posted by caddyowner
The Mazda 5 seats 6 in 3 rows. What's on second.
The Mazda5 in Canada and the USA seats 6 = 2 + 2 + 2. In the rest of the world, it seats 7 = 2 + 3 + 2, with a 2nd-row middle seat that folds away into one of the seats beside it.

I would seriously consider looking at the Mazda5 as the family wagon if it did seat 3 in the 2nd-row. I consider the 3rd-row as occasional use only but with it down (and stuff in then-enlarged cargo area), I would be left with only a 4-seater when a 5-seater would be so much more practical.

I found this interesting tidbit on Wikipedia, which I had never seen or heard about before:

In North America, due to safety regulations, the Mazda5 fits six passengers using three rows of seats, with 2 seats per row. Elsewhere, it is sold as a seven seater using Mazda's "Karakuri Seating System", which means the car has three rows of two seats, with the seventh seat a fold away jump seat in the centre of the middle row. The Mazda5 has three-point seat belts on all seven seats.
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is probably the same reason why Toyota will not offer a 7-seater Prius v wagon in North America.
Old 06-09-11, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Unless I misread the article, it didn't say that we were getting a 5-seat gas version, just the full-electric and hybrid 5-seat models. However, it does make reference to the C-Max plant being the only one to build all three versions under one roof.

Wayne will be the first plant in the world to produce gasoline-powered vehicles, full-electric vehicles, hybrid and plug-in hybrids under the same roof.
But it doesn't mention a 5-seater gas version to be sold in America:

The retraction of the seven-seater means the U.S. market will be left with the C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi electric vehicle.
Old 06-10-11, 06:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

yeah... they probably decided it would be too expensive compared to other NA vehicles so chose to sell only hybrid versions because they command price premium.
Old 06-10-11, 11:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

we're too fat for small 7 seaters...
Old 06-10-11, 04:44 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

An article in Automotive News stated that Ford decided to kill the 7-passenger version late in the product cycle because the anticipated price point would be a bit under $25K - about the same as a base Dodge Caravan. They figured it would be a tough sell.
Old 06-10-11, 05:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
An article in Automotive News stated that Ford decided to kill the 7-passenger version late in the product cycle because the anticipated price point would be a bit under $25K - about the same as a base Dodge Caravan. They figured it would be a tough sell.
i wonder how much the hybrid will be then.

Quick Reply: Official: Ford cancels seven-passenger C-Max for U.S.