Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rule of Thumb For Buying Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 12:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Rules of thumb I've learned from 30+ years of car shopping:

- When shopping for new cars, don't walk inside when you first arrive. Go to the new car row and look at the window stickers. If they have supplemental stickers with paint protection, pinstripes, etc. get back in your car and shop elsewhere. In my experience, this is a big red flag that the dealership will try all kinds of other ploys get you to overpay. I've regretted every time I stayed at one of these dealerships.
This cannot be more true. No one should support any dealer that pulls these old school sleeze tactics. These added on garbage pieces usually come with a 300-500% mark up over their cost. It's pure profit and padding the dealer's pockets. Poor, undeducated souls who walk in not having a clue will be the victims who are suckered in. Nothing makes me more upset than a dealer who stocks all their cars with these added items. Basically ruins the entire inventory. My local Lexus dealer is like this and they've missed my business twice now.
Old 06-11-11, 09:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah,those add on item sticker prices are a joke.
I've seen wheels and tire accessories for a couple of thousand dollars or more.
They keep the OEM wheels and tires and you can get the same add on wheel and tires much cheaper yourself and have the original wheels and tires to sell or use in winter.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-11-11 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-11-11, 10:48 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yeah,those add on item sticker prices are a joke.
I've seen wheels and tire accessories for a couple of thousand dollars or more.
They keep the OEM wheels and tires and you can get the same add on wheel and tires much cheaper yourself and have the original wheels and tires to sell or use in winter.
They never subtract for the OEM wheels/tires, then add the new price ontop never understood that
Old 06-11-11, 12:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

don't ya just love those 'dealer protection packages' already tacked on, supposed rust proofing, scotch guarding, maybe initial oil changes included, etc., for some $600 or so. saw this at toyota dealer on every car there.
Old 06-11-11, 12:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

buy towards the end of the month
talk to a internet fleet manager and get a price over the phone before even stepping foot in a dealer. I would never go to a dealer then start talking price, you just did half the work for them by showing up to the dealer. Make them work to get you to the dealer.
Old 06-11-11, 01:38 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just research whichever car i'm in the market for and always negotiate for the simple fact that asking simple questions may save you thousands, it did for me including my sc
Old 06-11-11, 01:52 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

I'm most likely going to purchase next July. Hopefully there can be a special on the veloster. The only reason why I want to buy is cause of the 100k warranty. Someone mentioned on how they were able to double the warranty, and if I can do the same, I would definitely buy.
Old 06-11-11, 02:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
The only reason why I want to buy is cause of the 100k warranty.
how many miles on average do you drive a year?
Old 06-11-11, 04:26 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The warranty has a number of limitations.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/...-warranty.aspx

I would make sure the CAR is something I really want to keep for that long regardless of the warranty.
Old 06-11-11, 04:27 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how many miles on average do you drive a year?
I average at 15k, I once drove close to 18k. I got my LS in september, I already put 12k miles on it; summer might put another 2-3k. The high miles is cause of the commute to work (55 miles total per workday) mostly. I do plan to drive less this summer, no summer school and I plan to ride my bike as often as I can (exercise).
Old 06-11-11, 08:42 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

My rule that I tell people who are shopping...

Spend 3-6 months researching, shopping, and test driving everything you possibly can. Don't limit yourself on brands or models, only limit yourself on price range. Spend as much time as you can looking for reviews and reliability information to make an intelligent decision.

After all, buying a car is the second biggest purchase of most people's lives... Put some effort into it!
Old 06-11-11, 09:56 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incredible
I'm most likely going to purchase next July. Hopefully there can be a special on the veloster. The only reason why I want to buy is cause of the 100k warranty. Someone mentioned on how they were able to double the warranty, and if I can do the same, I would definitely buy.
Depends on the dealership, here in GA many Honda, Toyota and other dealers offer 100k bumper to bumper or powertrain warranties, if you buy from them
Old 06-12-11, 02:44 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't buy for a warranty. That's simply an insurance policy against catastrophic failure, and you can buy those much cheaper by shopping the aftermarket for extended warranty coverage. Like buying a car, shop around for these . . . performance doesn't always equal price.

Buy instead for what you NEED, vs. what you want. Why buy a little tin box off the showroom floor when with a little research and shopping, you can find a really nice car from the "pre-owned" selection that boasts low mileage and two or three years of loving care.

After 40 years of driving ONLY new cars, I got the message: you will take an enormous hit in the wallet if you trade for another new car every three or four years. That new car is only "new" for a few months, after which it is "used", if only by you. Soon you start to notice the little things you don't like and begin to see cars in the showrooms you have convinced yourself you like better.

I've had several self-employed friends who purchase a new company car, then sell it to themselves as a private sale after another three years, giving them a nice, well-maintained car for the family, cycling through automobiles every six years or so.

If business demands you drive something brand new, that's fine, but if you are careful, you can pick up a deal on something heavily depreciated after three years, then cycle that vehicle through, trading the car out of the family at nine years, at which point it's pretty well reached the end of its depreciation. If it's still reliable, it makes a good car for a kid or a college-bound student - one that you know EVERYTHING in its history, unlike something from the typical used-car lot.

I have a good friend who buys an off-lease Town Car every five or six years simply because at three years down in their lifespan they are cheap and they've taken a huge percentage of their depreciation. OK, they're thirsty as a commuter, but he only drives it on longer trips or business calls while his wife commutes and shops from her SMART. I'd perhaps reconsider the latter choice, but it works for them.

There are plenty of creative ways to preserve capital when buying a car. Anyone, who like me, who falls into that "new car" trap every few years is simply burning their paycheck.
Old 06-12-11, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Don't buy for a warranty. That's simply an insurance policy against catastrophic failure, and you can buy those much cheaper by shopping the aftermarket for extended warranty coverage. Like buying a car, shop around for these . . . performance doesn't always equal price.

Buy instead for what you NEED, vs. what you want. Why buy a little tin box off the showroom floor when with a little research and shopping, you can find a really nice car from the "pre-owned" selection that boasts low mileage and two or three years of loving care.

After 40 years of driving ONLY new cars, I got the message: you will take an enormous hit in the wallet if you trade for another new car every three or four years. That new car is only "new" for a few months, after which it is "used", if only by you. Soon you start to notice the little things you don't like and begin to see cars in the showrooms you have convinced yourself you like better.

I've had several self-employed friends who purchase a new company car, then sell it to themselves as a private sale after another three years, giving them a nice, well-maintained car for the family, cycling through automobiles every six years or so.

If business demands you drive something brand new, that's fine, but if you are careful, you can pick up a deal on something heavily depreciated after three years, then cycle that vehicle through, trading the car out of the family at nine years, at which point it's pretty well reached the end of its depreciation. If it's still reliable, it makes a good car for a kid or a college-bound student - one that you know EVERYTHING in its history, unlike something from the typical used-car lot.

I have a good friend who buys an off-lease Town Car every five or six years simply because at three years down in their lifespan they are cheap and they've taken a huge percentage of their depreciation. OK, they're thirsty as a commuter, but he only drives it on longer trips or business calls while his wife commutes and shops from her SMART. I'd perhaps reconsider the latter choice, but it works for them.

There are plenty of creative ways to preserve capital when buying a car. Anyone, who like me, who falls into that "new car" trap every few years is simply burning their paycheck.
I partially, but don't totally agree, Lil. There are reasons why used cars, even CPO's, depreciate......it's not just a free lunch. There is usually an element of risk involved in buying one, though the amount of risk, depending on the car's build-quality, reliability-record, service/accident history, level of owner-care, and the owner's driving habits, can vary from minimal to buying a complete lemon. Of course, some brand-new cars, especially German makes, can also have problems.
Old 06-12-11, 06:24 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One general rule that way to many people don't follow is negotiate the price of the car, not the payment. Salesmen are quick to get people into a "Payment" and "how much a month can you afford" which works to their advantage. Don't go that route, talk the price of the car first.

Quick Reply: Rule of Thumb For Buying Cars