Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rule of Thumb For Buying Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 06:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
I'm most likely going to purchase next July. Hopefully there can be a special on the veloster. The only reason why I want to buy is cause of the 100k warranty. Someone mentioned on how they were able to double the warranty, and if I can do the same, I would definitely buy.
buddy there wont be a special on brand new car... if you have hots for brand new cars, prepare to pay more.

i suggest you take an tool at Mazda3 - it is awesome car, and I bet you will be able to get a deal on it!
Old 06-12-11, 10:07 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I partially, but don't totally agree, Lil. There are reasons why used cars, even CPO's, depreciate......it's not just a free lunch. There is usually an element of risk involved in buying one, though the amount of risk, depending on the car's build-quality, reliability-record, service/accident history, level of owner-care, and the owner's driving habits, can vary from minimal to buying a complete lemon. Of course, some brand-new cars, especially German makes, can also have problems.
. . . and that's why we do our research, including CarFax, and a good mechanic's evaluation before purchase. After all, a three y/o car isn't particularly likely to require $20K worth of repair in the next three years - the equivalent of the depreciation on many models. For anyone concerned about that, that's why there are extended warranties available.
Old 06-13-11, 09:28 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait till the end of the year. Prices are crazy and inflated now. Tr to get msrp new and as loooooow as possible used PRIVATE PARTY.
Old 06-14-11, 10:17 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
One general rule that way to many people don't follow is negotiate the price of the car, not the payment. Salesmen are quick to get people into a "Payment" and "how much a month can you afford" which works to their advantage. Don't go that route, talk the price of the car first.
It only works to their advantage for people who don't understand the payment and how the dealer comes up with the payment. I can do the math and have no problem talking payment as long as I can negotiate the terms

Too many people don't understand financing and only look at the payment. If you don't understand the financing and look at the price of the car alone they can still take advantage of you with the interest rate or terms. People financing must understand it and double check the paperwork.
Old 06-14-11, 11:48 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
It only works to their advantage for people who don't understand the payment and how the dealer comes up with the payment. I can do the math and have no problem talking payment as long as I can negotiate the terms

Too many people don't understand financing and only look at the payment. If you don't understand the financing and look at the price of the car alone they can still take advantage of you with the interest rate or terms. People financing must understand it and double check the paperwork.
Yes, agreed 100%, next thing you know you have a 96 month term with a balloon payment