Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars twith features that you dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 03:11 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Seats that are half power and half manual (exception to coupes and convertibles) either make it all power, or all manual. i know it seems stupid, but it bugs me. and space saves, if you have a spare, it should be a full size
Old 06-11-11, 03:52 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Seats that are half power and half manual (exception to coupes and convertibles) either make it all power, or all manual. i know it seems stupid, but it bugs me. and space saves, if you have a spare, it should be a full size
I'm glad you mentioned that. That is probably the one feature that annoys me the most in luxury cars: electric seats.

It's much quicker to adjust the seat manually than "wait for ages" until the electric seats are in the position you want them to be. Yeah, I dislike electric seats intensely.
Old 06-11-11, 09:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

^^
Remember those automatic shoulder belts of the 80's and 90's? We had an '87 Maxima with those, but they didn't seem as bad as the press said they were.
Old 06-11-11, 09:49 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blue lights of any kind. Inside or outside. They're blurry and annoying and piercing especially at night.

+1 with the half power, half manual seats. If the seats are powered I think memory should be mandatory. Manual seats are much faster.
Old 06-11-11, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Stiff rides.
Wind/road noise.
Underhood components hidden with covers instead of exposed.
Cheap plastic interior materials.
Manual hood prop-rods.
Lack of a real traditional spare tire.
Lack of body-side mouldings.
Humpback-whale rooflines.
Aero/Jelly-bean body-styling.
Dull or ugly paint colors.
Squeaks/rattles.
Tinny-closing doors.
Unreliability.
I-Drive/MMI-type dash/video controllers.
Overly-complex dash controls.
Low ground clearance.
Digital instruments instead of analog.
Center-dash gauges instead of behind the steering-wheel where they belong.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-11-11 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 03:22 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
center guages (e.g., prius)
This is mine as well. I specifically have left certain cars off my short list just because of the center mounted gauges.
Old 06-12-11, 09:09 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

I'll start with the stuff I don't like on my cars

2007 Odyssey

1. Seatbelt chime
2. Trip "A" automatically resets to zero when you start pumping gas.
3. The Pax runflat tires and wheels that came with the van. Dealer only can change, lasts only barely 30k miles, $1400

Can't think of a feature I don't like on the GX really

Other stuff

Digital gauges
analog clocks (infiniti)

and this is about a feature. When I ask someone if their sports/sporty car is an auto or manual and the say its a manual when its really an auto with like paddle shifters or something..
Old 06-12-11, 08:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My dislikes, in approximately most-disliked to least-disliked order:

A sea of buttons, with little or no distinction between buttons for the climate control system and the infotainment system: I prefer a clear distinction between the two sets of controls to avoid confusion, which means -- PLEASE -- no large central **** that I cannot tell at a glance what its function is -- climate control or audio volume.

Infotainment display monitor too low, requiring a time-consuming turn and dip of the head to see: This is typically not a problem with Toyota or Honda vehicles but it still is in certain VW models.

Infotainment and/or climate control dials/switches that are too low, requiring a time-consuming turn-and-dip of the head to see

Infotainment system controls split, some above the climate control, some below: Honda does this. I prefer all infotainment controls (navigation system controls (if available) and audio system controls, including CD/DVD slot) all clustered together in one area.

Did I mention the Space Shuttle-like sea of buttons?

Digital instruments - I prefer traditional analog dial gauges.

Split / 2-tier instrument panel: I think this is merely a gimmick, a over-done attempt at being different.

Seat-height adjustment that raises the rear of the seat but does not raise the front of the seat: I prefer to sit high, especially in current-model cars that have a high beltline (my wife likes to also because she is shorter) AND I also like good thigh support (I find it helps to avoid slouching in the seat) but current manual seat-adjustment Toyotas do not have the separate front and rear seat-height adjustment. My wife does not mind sitting on a cushion but I do not, being afraid that I will slip off the cushion at the most inappropriate time.

Clock that is too low on the central stack: My current Corolla is guilty of this.

Electroluminescent (i.e. Optitron) panel lighting that assumes that full headlights will ONLY be turned on after dark, i.e. the panel lighting dims to a very low level if full headlights are switched on during normal daylight: My 2006 Camry's Optitron lighting was controlled by the ambient light sensor so would only dim if the ambient light was low. My current 2010 Corolla's Optitron lighting, however, dims to a very low level if I switch on full headlights during normal (high) ambient lighting conditions.

Did I mention the USS Enterprise-like sea of buttons?

Last edited by Sulu; 06-12-11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
My dislikes, in approximately most-disliked to least-disliked order:

A sea of buttons, with little or no distinction between buttons for the climate control system and the infotainment system: I prefer a clear distinction between the two sets of controls to avoid confusion, which means -- PLEASE -- no large central **** that I cannot tell at a glance what its function is -- climate control or audio volume.

Did I mention the USS Enterprise-like sea of buttons?
Perhaps the best examples of this (or should I say worst?) were the Oldsmobile 88/98/Toronado of the 1990s (though some big similiar Buicks of the time were almost as confusing inside). I believe to this day that it was a major factor in the downfall of the Olds division. Olds finally realized their mistake and started doing easier-to-use controls again, but by then, much of the damage had already been done.....IMO, they waited too long.

This from the 1993 Olds 98: I remember being at the D.C. auto show that year and remarking to the Olds people there what a POS of a design all those buttons were, and how they looked at me like I was nuts. I said that if that type of dash continued, Olds wouldn't be around much longer. The rest is history.

Old 06-12-11, 09:49 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

manual door looks were a PITA back in high school and having friends ride in back (i.e. my first car 92 corolla)
Old 06-13-11, 11:35 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Multi-function control system such as I-Drive in BMW.
Old 06-13-11, 11:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
-TPMS

-Traction Control/ESP (that cant be turned completely off like in my truck)

-Drum Brakes

-Vehicles that shut off whatever headlight has the turn signal on (i think this is only Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, but not sure).

-Seat belt chimes (mine can be disabled)

-Steel wheels with hubcaps. Anything that costs over $10,000 should have REAL wheels. Sorry, but it is retarded to spend anything over $20,000 and not get wheels. JMO.
I agree with everything you said. I'll add in:

-Halogen headlights

-Tan interiors

-Factory reflective tint like the kind on the old RX300's

-Grey headliner in a car with a black interior

-Tiny spare tires on big cars

-Manual locking doors and windows

-Big cars with tiny wheels

-Paddle shifters

Last edited by Kira X; 06-13-11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-13-11, 12:57 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

A "feature" I don't like is plastic headlamp covers.

I would think that with today's technology they could offer glass headlamp covers that would be price equivilant, just as safe, and not much more heavier than plastic ones.
Old 06-13-11, 01:29 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-E-brake with the foot. I like my E-brakes in the middle so I can pull them with my hand.
-Awkwardly placed cup holders. (IS, I'm looking at you...)
-CD changer that's not in-dash (EG: in trunk or glove compartment)
-Buttons on auto shifters. I think the "gate shifters" that are on some of the newer automatics these days feel much better to shift in and out of gears. With the button lock, you have to look down and shift it to the correct gear, but with the gate shifter, you can tell what gear you are in just by feel.
-Digital gauge clusters. ESPECIALLY a digital reading of the speedometer. IMO I can't bear to live with a car that has a digital speedometer (prius, civic, among other cars). A digital display of a needle and gauge would suffice (LF-A).
-Gauge clusters in the middle of the car (Mini Cooper)

I could probably go on for days, but these are from the top of my head
Old 06-13-11, 02:01 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

GM has started with the new "feature" for their cars...I know the Jeeps and others have this.

When the owner of the car unlocks the car, it turns on some of the vehicle's exterior lights...including those white lights on the back of the car...that apparently the idiots at GM don't realize indicate on all OTHER cars that the car is in REVERSE!!!

So, you're in a parking garage and, all of a sudden, a car in front of you has it's lights come on...parking lights in the rear, and the white back-up lights. No brake lights.

What does that indicate to you?

It tells me that the car is running, with a driver behind the wheel, the car is in reverse, the driver's foot is off the brake, and the car is backing out of the space.

Nope. The car isn't even running...and the owner is putting groceries in the back seat!

Who the heck are they to decide that "Hey, let's change what these lights mean!"?

I swear I think every engineer in Detroit takes the bus to work and has simply never driven a car before. Morons...every single one of them.

Quick Reply: Cars twith features that you dislike?