Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Lexus IS250C Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11 | 07:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great review Mike!

Being a previous owner of an IS350 and SC430, I was quite interested in the IS350C.

I loved my SC430. But it was getting long in the tooth: inefficient V8 (in today's standards), 5-speed tranny (pre-'06 models), cassette deck, archaic navigation, telescoping antenna (I think the IS-C has it too), no push button start, quite heavy (it was about 3600 lbs, which is the same weight as my Rav4), 18 mpg on average, not too sporty, laughable back seat (I have used it though, mostly for emergencies or very short trips), run flat tires with no spare/donut, and my biggest quirk of all: odd engineering for maintenance. For example, to change the headlight bulb, you need to remove the front bumper, front fender liners, and the headlight housing to change the light bulb. Time to change a headlight bulb = 2 hours!!!

The IS-C was a good way to address the desire for a hardtop vert while addressing the shortcomings of the SC430. Sure, it didn't have the panache and classiness of the SC430, but it did address most of what I mentioned above, along with a more approachable price point.

For most IS-C consumers, people may only need a small efficient 2.5L V6 instead of a gas-guzzling powerhouse of a V8 found on the GS and LS. Perhaps the next generation SC (if and when it arrives) will address the need for a sportier and true sports car that Lexus so desperately needs, and let the IS-C be a relaxed mobile tanning booth that most people will be happy with.

For what it is, I think Lexus has done a good job with the IS-C. People need to realize that people who buy convertibles want convertibles; they don't cross-shop the sedan with the convertible and complain about the convertible's shortcomings and higher price.

A convertible is an emotional purchase, not a logical one.

And honestly, the IS-C rear seat, as tight as it is, isn't as bad as the SC430. It could have been worse...

SC430:

IS-C:
Old 06-13-11 | 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Great review Mike!
Thanks, Phil.

The IS-C was a good way to address the desire for a hardtop vert while addressing the shortcomings of the SC430. Sure, it didn't have the panache and classiness of the SC430, but it did address most of what I mentioned above, along with a more approachable price point.
As I stated in the review, perhaps the biggest SC shortcoming was lack of a less-expensive V6 SC350 version. The price of SC430 admission, brand-new, was almost as high as for an LS.

For most IS-C consumers, people may only need a small efficient 2.5L V6 instead of a gas-guzzling powerhouse of a V8 found on the GS and LS.
I totally agree. The 250C automatic would be the version I myself would choose....but, as addressed and discussed in some previous posts, I'd miss the AWD....this designed-for-the-elements convertible, unlike some others, could probably use it.

Perhaps the next generation SC (if and when it arrives) will address the need for a sportier and true sports car that Lexus so desperately needs, and let the IS-C be a relaxed mobile tanning booth that most people will be happy with.
There are 1Gen SC owners who are still holding on to them, even at their advanced age and mileage (some of them have 200K+), because it was such a stunning and beautiful design, much more so than the Audi-TT-look-alike 2Gen model. As you note, we'll have to wait and see what the 3Gen model looks like.

For what it is, I think Lexus has done a good job with the IS-C.
Yes...it's reasonably good-looking, even with the top up, and generally pleasant to drive.

People need to realize that people who buy convertibles want convertibles; they don't cross-shop the sedan with the convertible and complain about the convertible's shortcomings and higher price.
Well, to some extent, they do complain, but, to them, the drop-top is worth the extra money, even though they go home with a substantially thinner wallet. It's like the people who buy an LS when an less-expensiv ES, IS, or GS would do.

A convertible is an emotional purchase, not a logical one.
Agreed.

And honestly, the IS-C rear seat, as tight as it is, isn't as bad as the SC430. It could have been worse...
True.....but I consider both of them to be little more than just a package shelf. With very few exceptions (maybe the Chrysler Sebring and the now-discontinued Toyota Solara convertibles), there is no such thing, today, as a even reasonably roomy convertible back seat. Nor, since the Lincoln Continental of the mid-1960s, have any 4-door production convertibles been sold in the American market.
Old 06-13-11 | 09:43 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Great review MMarshall.

I was also looking at this also prior to getting my NSX, but it didn't grab my attention and gave me that "wow" factor.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
quite heavy (it was about 3600 lbs, which is the same weight as my Rav4)

laughable back seat

well, the damn SL is easily over 4000 pounds, but that's another story.

I was quite amazed at how much room the rear seats were as compared to the SC

If lexus can redesign the back portion for a facelift/2nd gen., they should be able to sell alot more.
Old 06-13-11 | 11:25 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks MMarshall for the review.

I dont think they were to popular, were they? Dont even remember seeing one at the dealership.
Old 06-13-11 | 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Great review MMarshall.
Thanks.

I was also looking at this also prior to getting my NSX, but it didn't grab my attention and gave me that "wow" factor.
Of course it's not an NSX, but, nontheless, still fun to drive on a nice day.

I was quite amazed at how much room the rear seats were as compared to the SC
Yes, a little roomier than the SC's rear reat, but still, IMO, virtually useless for adults.
Old 06-13-11 | 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Sure, lamar...anytime.

I dont think they were too popular, were they? Dont even remember seeing one at the dealership.
In my area, the IS250AWD sedan is clearly the best-seller......the convertible isn't anywhere near those numbers. And, you're right...if your area is like mine, you won't see many convertibles readily in stock at dealerships. The convertible I reviewed, at the time, was the only one available at that particular Lexus shop, though one or two 350Cs may be arriving later this week. They are probably spoken for, though.
Old 06-13-11 | 06:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

Not sure what you're getting at here...... whether you agree with me or disagree. I know that not everyone, especially here at CAR CHAT, believes that side-mouldings are an issue....and I respect that. However, I see it as cheap-a**, unnecessary penny-pitching on something that could easily help preserve the car's looks (and possible resale value).
I was subtly trying to say you listed it twice in the "Minuses" section.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 06-13-11 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-13-11 | 08:05 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411

I dont think they were to popular, were they? Dont even remember seeing one at the dealership.
Initially Lexus said they were performing way past expectations and I've seen a bunch of them so I can believe it. Lexus has the IS 250/350 and F-sport and IS c special editions. Would have been interesting to see an IS F version.
Old 06-13-11 | 09:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Initially Lexus said they were performing way past expectations and I've seen a bunch of them so I can believe it. Lexus has the IS 250/350 and F-sport and IS c special editions. Would have been interesting to see an IS F version.
I asked the Lexus people about an IS-F convertible. No plans for one as of yet.
Old 06-13-11 | 09:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I was subtly trying to say you listed it twice in the "Minuses" section.
Thanks. That was a typo....I didn't notice it. I'll correct it.
Old 06-14-11 | 07:11 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 545 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...notwithstanding the fact that the first-generation (and IMO much better-looking) SC series had a highly-successful V6 330 model that, even today, is popular on the used-car market.
Would you mind elaborating on this statement? I thought the first generation SC only had the 2JZ (SC300) and 1UZ (SC400) motor options (and Japan having the 1JZ-GTE option). Am I reading this wrong?
Old 06-14-11 | 09:00 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Another great review, mmarshall! My gf was looking at the 250c for her next vehicle, and though she doesn't have any gripes with it compared to her other convertible choices (Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Corvette, and Nissan 370z), it does make for an interesting perspective on her part. She's not really into the AWD or the HP, but she did mention that it should've been offered with different colors and that the driving feel was stiffer than what she was hoping for. We're visiting the Nissan dealership again, as she has ruled out the Mustang already. She was reading this as well (one of the FEW times she chooses to read anything on the forums), and she likes your thorough review more so than car magazines and even Consumer Reports' review.
Old 06-14-11 | 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by redspencer
Would you mind elaborating on this statement? I thought the first generation SC only had the 2JZ (SC300) and 1UZ (SC400) motor options (and Japan having the 1JZ-GTE option). Am I reading this wrong?
Sorry...that was a typo on my part....and thanks for pointing that out. ....I'll correct it. I meant the 1Gen SC300 and 400. It was a gorgeous car, IMO, far better-looking than the 2Gen SC430. And, unlike the 1Gen SC300, there was no 2Gen V6 SC model to replace it....a marketing error, IMO. And that was one of the things I mentioned in the review.....that the IS350C more-or-less takes the place that a 2Gen SC350 would have if Lexus had bothered to produce one.

(I work hard on my reviews, but don't always catch every typo)
Old 06-14-11 | 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Another great review, mmarshall!
Thanks.

My gf was looking at the 250c for her next vehicle, and though she doesn't have any gripes with it compared to her other convertible choices (Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Corvette, and Nissan 370z), it does make for an interesting perspective on her part.
The IS convertible is far more polished and refined than the other cars you mention, though, of course, even with the 3.5L V6, it doesn't have the raw power that a Corvette or Mustang GT does. But it does, of course, trump their build-quality.

She's not really into the AWD or the HP, but she did mention that it should've been offered with different colors and that the driving feel was stiffer than what she was hoping for.
Yes, agreed....Lexus should offer the bright-blue on the convertibles that it does on the IS-F, but it doesn't. Have her check out the Matador Red, though, which is offered, though.......a gorgeous bright Candy-Apple-Red metallic that will knock your socks off. It is, IMO, one of Lexus's best paint-jobs.

I agree that the ride quality, though not terribly uncomfortable, is a little stiffer than I would like, too. That is due to the low-profile 45-series tires and the somewhat sport-tuned suspension even on the standard models.

We're visiting the Nissan dealership again, as she has ruled out the Mustang already. She was reading this as well (one of the FEW times she chooses to read anything on the forums), and she likes your thorough review more so than car magazines and even Consumer Reports' review.
Thanks.... Glad my reviews are of help.

Here's my 370Z review, BTW. I did it some time ago, in 2009, when the car was first introduced.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ssan-370z.html

Good luck with her car-shopping. Let us know how things turn out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-14-11 | 11:44 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought they did offer the ultrasonic blue, I am pretty certain they did last year. Maybe they dropped it? They do offer the new blue which is very nice.

Here is the current F-sport special edition

http://www.lexus.com/models/ISC/F-Sp...ion/index.html

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Lexus IS250C Convertible