Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Engineering Amazing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 07:44 PM
LexFather

Sorry but adding turbos isn't rocket science, its simply an old method that has been trendy as of late. Quite frankly I find performance to be good in SOME cases, not all and MPG improvement is negligible at best. Some of us don't care for forced induction. I started a thread about how the Toyota Supra nearly 20 years ago had 320hp with a 3.0 tt. Today people are beating off to the 335 with the same thing? 18 years later. Really? The Supra TT made 400hp easily with some BPU mods. Toyota did this nearly 2 decades ago.

Hybrids are the most technologically advanced cars in the world, PERIOD. They are not all the same like all petrol versions are not the same. You can get a Prius or a Active Hybrid X6. The technology in those cars far surpasses any other road car. Sadly b/c people love to hate hybrids, they don't want to acknowledge this.

Besides, Germans are experimenting with hybrids+diesels.

Now what in the flying hell is wrong with the RX based on the Camry? Shall I name every car based on something else? A 70k M56 shares its platform with a 30k 370Z. Oh its cool b/c its RWD?

What about the fact that most A8's sold in the U.K are FWD? Yes FWD. Lets not pick and chose to crap on one brand and gloss over FWD offered in an executive D-class Audi sedan. Shall we say its "Sad' the A8 is really FWD with AWD slapped on? What about the 5 series now based on the bigger heavier 7 series. Its a porker now. The E39 was lightest in class, today its heaviest.

More double standards towards Lexus. This thread is supposed to be about Lexus: Engineering Amazing.

It is CRYSTAL CLEAR in most cases people don't give a **** about the platform. Hell the Boxster and 911 in the 1990s (996) shared 60% of its parts. THE FRONT WAS THE SAME. Guess what, Porsche never sold better!

Its old and tired and redundant that it seems perfectly fine for Germans to share and sell FWD and go downmarket but Lexus and the Japanese brands are picked apart at every turn for doing the SAME THING.

Quite frankly these redundant discussions are old and tiring and I tire of it after ten years.

edit

Let me say Autounion is a good guy and we have some good history so I'm not replying to him. I'm speaking in general.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-14-11 at 07:50 PM.

Old 06-14-11, 08:10 PM
emad2007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-15-11, 12:03 AM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Not to sound like a jerk, but what have they been doing recently to move the industry forward? Their whole lineup is almost stale at this point (except LF-A, IS, RX, CT) and they've been lagging horribly. It's a slap in the face to Lexus that BUICK is selling more than them.

I really don't see any sort of new technology and high-end engineering (save for the LF-A) that sets them apart from the rest any longer, which is sad because Toyota has always been an engineering powerhouse.
You don't sound like a jerk at all. Your opinions are just that...opinions...

First of all Buick is not tier one and I don't consider it in the same class as Lexus. I will include Cadillac a direct competitor to Lexus but not Buick. Buick is a tweener just like Mercury which died in June of 2010. Buick should be dead too. Let GM focus on Cadillac as being their one and only luxury brand and stop wasting time, money and effort on Buick.

You didn't pay attention to these commercials. It was about the engineering that Lexus/Toyota has accomplished such as creating their own carbon fiber weaving loom for use in the LFA, recyclable plastics used in the CTh and HSh. The process of using a vaccum in the production of metal parts instead of pouring hot molten metal into a cast that could have air bubble in it that could weaken a metal component of an engine part. Last but not least Lexus/Toyota leads the way at hybrid technology...you can research that yourself.

You state that the Lexus line-up is stale, I agree with you. Lexus is on a longer cycle now before they revamp/renew their whole model line-up. Remember this commercial was about the Lexus engineering and not the asthetics/looks/appearance that you so desire.

Last edited by Trexus; 06-15-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-15-11, 12:12 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Just gotta wait for all that engineering prowess that went into the LFA to trickle down to the rest of the Lexus lineup in the next gen models.
Old 06-15-11, 01:46 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Very cool videos, good job Lexus . That last video needs to be heavily pushed on internet and TV to rub it in the faces of competitors for once .

Not to sound like a jerk, but what have they been doing recently to move the industry forward? Their whole lineup is almost stale at this point (except LF-A, IS, RX, CT) and they've been lagging horribly. It's a slap in the face to Lexus that BUICK is selling more than them.

I really don't see any sort of new technology and high-end engineering (save for the LF-A) that sets them apart from the rest any longer, which is sad because Toyota has always been an engineering powerhouse.
Wait until the product onslaught of next-gen Lexus models begins. Obviously Lexus isn't doing much excluding a few models because this is a slow time before their big next-gen roll out of new models. The LFA does quite a lot to push the industry forward, and you'll see soon enough how the next-gen Lexus models push the industry forward.

Don't underestimate Toyota. They have big things coming.
Old 06-15-11, 05:00 PM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Buick is a tweener just like Mercury which died in June of 2010. Buick should be dead too. Let GM focus on Cadillac as being their one and only luxury brand and stop wasting time, money and effort on Buick.
Toyota/Lexus should create an in-between division to compete with Buick and the aforementioned Mercury.

Let's call this division Twexus (Toyota, tweener, Lexus)

Models will be be names as oppose to alpha-numeric designations:

Tregal
Trucerne
TraCrosse
Trenclave

No orgininality and I'm kidding of course unless Toyota/Lexus sees this as feasible and a logical idea...
Old 06-15-11, 05:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

People here make it seem like Hybrid technology is such a huge feat for Lexus and it is, but that's the only trump card they have compared to the Germans. They have diesels, plus many other technologies that people here overlook and like to ignore and not acknowledge just because Lexus doesn't have it.

BMW shares only the MINI engines with PSA. MB shares with Renault, but I don't see Mercedes using Renault engines. They wouldn't be caught dead using them.
Next generation A and B class will use Renault engines...

I dont know if you can call largest technological achievement in past few decades "only trump card"... how many do you need to have? Most of the other stuff comes from the outsourcing and whoever pays gets them too.

Obviously ES, IS, GS, LS are all old models now due to be replaced soon.

BMW had huge issues with turbos, MB has reached Lexus levels in V6 after 6-7 years and Audi... well did Audi reach it with their V6's? I dont think so.

M5 makes those numbers with two turbos. LFA makes them in naturally aspirated engine.

Honestly, I could care less about GS-F that will sell 5k across its lifetime, if lucky.

I want ones that I buy to have good tech and good engines.... and GR V6 engine with dual injection is probably still the engine to beat, after 6 years of its introduction.
Old 06-17-11, 07:58 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say Lexus has got to be among the most hated brands on the internets! Check out the comments in this link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/17/a...-future-proof/
Old 06-17-11, 08:27 PM
USMCgs3
Driver

Originally Posted by emad2007
I hope that was a joke...
Old 06-18-11, 03:04 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I must say Lexus has got to be among the most hated brands on the internets! Check out the comments in this link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/17/a...-future-proof/
Toyota & Lexus could find a cure for AIDS and the nimrod fanboy haters on Autoblog would still trash them.

These commericals were downright awesome, and it's great to see Lexus give a big "eff you" in the last commericial. I also agree wholeheartidly with the posts by 1SICKLEX & TRDFantasy.
Old 06-18-11, 11:32 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Hybrid technology is a lot bigger feat than adding turbos and then having catastrophic fuel pump failures.

RX sells well because it is good car, period. BMW now shares engines with PSA and MB shares engines with Renaults, both low cost brands.

Engine sharing is not going anywhere.

Renault makes good engines.

In fact the new diesel engine available in the Infiniti M was co-developed between Renault and Nissan with most of the engineering design and input coming from, you guessed it, Renault.

Don't forget that Renault can create superb high-performance engines. Their racing heritage in F1 and rally sports is proof of this as well as some of their legendary roadgoing performance cars like the Alpine Renaults, Renault 5 Turbo, Clio V6, Megane RS and so forth.
Old 06-18-11, 11:36 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
BMW had huge issues with turbos, MB has reached Lexus levels in V6 after 6-7 years and Audi... well did Audi reach it with their V6's? I dont think so.
A weak argument.

Audi and Mercedes could have easily extracted over 300-horsepower from their "old" V6s ages ago.

They simply didn't.

Why they didn't is a question I nor you or anyone else here cannot answer. We can theorize all we want, but all the major luxury manufacturers are pretty much on par when it comes to technological leadership and capabilities if you ask me.
Old 10-24-11, 07:43 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Lexus Engineering Amazing" on IAC

anyone watching it now? pretty amazing!
Old 10-24-11, 10:42 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

is this a segment? any different from the engineering amazing commercials Lexus has released?
Old 10-25-11, 01:06 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Default beat me....

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
anyone watching it now? pretty amazing!
^^^^hahahah..beat me to it...i was about to post about the channel....lol

Quick Reply: Lexus: Engineering Amazing