Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All New 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid to Get 47-48 City MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 06:46 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, Camry got stomped. But I can see how the Fusion and Accord are better,
Old 01-08-14, 09:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

enthusiasts get it - camry sucks. sheep still buy 'em though.
Old 01-08-14, 09:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
My parents have owned (and loved) several Camrys. They aren't "sheep". They just enjoyed the smooth, quiet, reliable ride. The Camry isn't my cup of tea, but insults of those people who own them seem unnecessary.
Old 01-09-14, 01:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ford Fusion Energi Gets A $4,000 Price Reduction To $34,700

http://insideevs.com/ford-fusion-ene...tion-to-34700/

The Ford Fusion Energi has been the quiet hit of the second half 2013. Over the last 4 months Ford has sold 3,618 of them. Put another way, that is an an average of just over 900 copies every 30 days.

Apparently, that level is not enough for Ford.

Very quietly Ford has reduced the price of the 21 mile extended range Fusion (we inadvertently stumbled on the new price listed online) by $4,000, from $38,700 to $34,700 (+$825 destination).

This price point is down from the near $40,000 price tag when the car first debuted in January.

UPDATE: We got in contact with Ford, and a spokesperson made this statement (we also expect some kind of official announcement shortly as well):

“Ford sold more plug-in vehicles in the fourth quarter of 2013 than both Toyota and Tesla, and we will remain competitive in the marketplace. The Ford Fusion Energi Plug-in Hybrid’s new starting MSRP of $34,700 does just that and is an important part of our commitment to provide customers with a range of electrified vehicles to choose from.“

At $34,700, it is also at just about the same starting price as the Volt, which was reduced over the summer to $34,185 (+810 destination).

Understanding the Chevrolet Volt has 38 miles of range versus the Fusion Energi’s 21 miles, and due to the higher federal credit given on the Volt – $7,500 vs $4,007 , we don’t expect the Fusion Energi to be passing the Volt’s monthly sales levels anytime soon, as the Chevy is effectively still $4,008 dollars cheaper.

However, the Fusion Energi is now definitely a serious competitor to the Volt, as well as to its stablemate, the C-Max Energi – which is screaming for a MSRP reduction now (currently price at $32,920), and the Toyota Prius PHV (from $29,990) as the plug-in Fusion boasts being not only a mid-size sedan, but seating for five.
Old 01-09-14, 06:43 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I have a Camry, my dad has a Camry Hybrid. You can pound sand.
Old 01-09-14, 06:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Ford Fusion Energi Gets A $4,000 Price Reduction To $34,700
Good to future buyers. Sucks for those that bought the first ones
Old 01-09-14, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My parents have owned (and loved) several Camrys. They aren't "sheep".
Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I have a Camry, my dad has a Camry Hybrid. You can pound sand.
thanks 84

JDR76, have your parents owned those camrys one after another after another? did they consider ANYTHING else? i'm glad they're very happy with them, and good for toyota, who keeps serving up the next 'distillation' of camry essence, one after another, after another.

Old 01-09-14, 08:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

thanks 84

JDR76, have your parents owned those camrys one after another after another? did they consider ANYTHING else? i'm glad they're very happy with them, and good for toyota, who keeps serving up the next 'distillation' of camry essence, one after another, after another.
Yes, they've had other cars in between, and each time they chose to go back to the Camry. It just provides exactly what they want. They have, however, since moved on to RAV4s...
Old 01-09-14, 11:44 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

thanks 84

He had a 2004 Accord EX-L V6 that replaced our '94 Camry XLE V6. We had that Accord for two years but it was totaled by a hit and runner. They actually did look at the Gen 5 Camry at the time before they bought the Accord, but they didn't like it as much as the Honda, especially my mom. When it came time to replace it, he had driven his brother's Prius and wanted a hybrid, but didn't want the Prius. This was right when the TCH just came out, the Accord was the same body style as the one he had before and the HAH didn't get anywhere near the MPG as the TCH. He also looked at the ES and IS at the time.

As for the rest of the competition, in 2007 the Fusion was nothing to write home about, the Altima was decent, the Malibu was a rental car joke, and the Avenger and Sebring was Chrysler trolling the American people.

His Camry has been trouble free and gets good gas mileage. His next car will likely be a Lexus, and I'm hoping he gets a GS.
Old 06-18-14, 07:08 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CNET Rates Ford Fusion Energi Plug-In Hybrid Sedan

While the scandal regarding Ford’s phony efficiency ratings for several of its cars may have affected the model’s on-paper characteristics, on the road, cars like the Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid do make a case for themselves, particularly for those who have a short commute to work or some other daily trip.

CNET tried out the Fusion Energi and found nothing really wrong with it, seeing its purpose both as a self-standing model and one that is part of the larger and more diversified Fusion range.

It’s the heaviest and most expensive Fusion you can currently buy, and its characteristics don’t fit all drivers – some may be better off with the regular hybrid, while others may find even that unnecessary and just get the 1.6-liter turbo which is still pretty efficient if you have a sensible right foot.

Obviously, being a CNET review, it focuses not only on the car’s on road behavior, but also its gadgets and their level of intricacy. Here, the Fusion again fares well, but since most functions are controlled through the same MyFord Touch interface that’s known to be quite laggy, it’s probably the main letdown of the user interaction experience.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/06/cne...i-plug-in.html
Old 08-06-14, 11:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New Ford Mondeo finally headed to European dealerships in October

Click here to view more photos

Will be launched with two EcoBoost engines

Ford introduced the "all-new" Mondeo nearly two years ago but the company is finally gearing to launch the oft-delayed model.

Set to arrive at European dealerships in October, the range will initially include Trend and Titanium variants in sedan, hatchback and wagon body styles.

At launch, the Mondeo will be offered with a 1.5- and 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine. There will also be the Mondeo Hybrid which has a 2.0-liter petrol engine, an electric motor and a 1.4 kWh lithium-ion battery.

The range will be expanded in 2015 to include the entry-level Ambiente model as well as a Business Edition variant. 2015 will also usher in additional petrol and diesel engines as well as an optional all-wheel drive system.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408067...an-dealerships
Old 12-19-14, 09:15 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Magazine claims new Ford Mondeo is 279 kg heavier than company says

The vehicle weighs 1,880 kg (4,145 lbs)

According to the Swedish magazine Teknikens Värld, the new Ford Mondeo is 279 kg (615 lbs) heavier than what Ford claims.

In a recent test the magazine included the Mondeo Estate, the Volkswagen Passat estate and the Volvo V70 and found out that the curb weight of the Mondeo is 17.4% more than indicated. This means the vehicle weighs 1,880 kg (4,145 lbs).

More interestingly, if you load the car to the max, you actually commit a crime because its total gross weight is exceeded. Even worse, it can also be dangerous, according to the magazine. It also says the rear wheels scrape the wheel arches.

A month ago Teknikens Värld also discovered the same problem with the Mercedes-Benz C220 BlueTEC Estate. It weighs 245 kg (540 lbs) more than the car’s registration certificate says.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11412188...g-heavier-than
Old 12-19-14, 09:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Vh_Supra, I think before posting pieces that seem a bit like "sensational" news, you could also do a cursory search for if the company has responded.. such as this:

When reached for comment by Autoblog, Jay Ward, Senior Manager at Ford of Europe Product Communications, explained the reason for the deviation between the official numbers and the magazine's test:
"We are aware of this, but this is not an issue that relates specifically to the safety of the Mondeo, but is in fact related to the way in which the cars are tested by the authorities. We provided an Ambiente model for the testing but the car that featured in the magazine test was a Titanium model which has a different weight. We are in discussion with the Swedish Transport Agency to change the framework so the real weight of the Titanium model is reported instead of the Ambiente model which will resolve the issue."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/18/s...legally-overw/
Old 12-19-14, 10:04 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Vh_Supra, I think before posting pieces that seem a bit like "sensational" news, you could also do a cursory search for if the company has responded.. such as this:

Sorry, I don't go on to AutoBlog. I did search WCF, but they didn't have any updates or responds from Ford.
Old 12-19-14, 11:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

Thats just obfuscation from Ford. Titanium does not have heavier maximum weight allowed at all. So it can accept much less additional weight in form of passengers and cargo than base model, as evidenced by the fact that car scraped the tires when loaded with what is written as max pass+cargo.

They reported same problem with Mercedes C class weighting 245kg more than it should, and Mercedes responded that they will actually change the way the show weights, not that it is "Swedish" problem, since it isnt.

European manufacturers rarely show correct weight and fuel consumption specific for the loaded models, which weight more and consume more. It is good that someone is calling them out.

For instance, Ford states same fuel consumption for Titanium, despite weighting 280kg more than base... now imagine in what world car with 4 big passengers spends same fuel as car with no passengers.

Not to mention that magazine is testing all cars the same way, and C class and Mondeo showed these big differences, rest of the cars did not.

Quick Reply: All New 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid to Get 47-48 City MPG