Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 03:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well touch and go has no apps at all currently, and in any case it will have to be connected through your phone, so i suspect it is same system at the base.

not sure why would google be better than bing for usa though, just because it is google?
Have you ever used Google and Bing both? Wait...you just said Bing isn't as savvy in Europe. Google is a bit more advanced than Bing even here in the US.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Toyota officially in their press release said that Entune is upgradeable via smartphone so that it won't get outdated. That also means the capability is there to upgrade apps, or add more apps. How do you know Toyota won't add more apps in the future to Entune? These are just the initial apps Entune will start with, according to Toyota themselves.
I'm sure they will add more apps in the future...but with Toyota's forged alliance with Microsoft (see here) it kind of makes it a bit confusing why they went with Google for Europe. We'll see what happens...I really think Toyota should have partnered with Google instead. I tried out Entune in Detroit when it was launched in December and wasn't really impressed. Although some of the apps and functions are cool...its very limited compared to what BMW and Hyundai recently launched at the NY Auto Show.
Old 06-17-11, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Have you ever used Google and Bing both? Wait...you just said Bing isn't as savvy in Europe. Google is a bit more advanced than Bing even here in the US.

I'm sure they will add more apps in the future...but with Toyota's forged alliance with Microsoft (see here) it kind of makes it a bit confusing why they went with Google for Europe. We'll see what happens...I really think Toyota should have partnered with Google instead. I tried out Entune in Detroit when it was launched in December and wasn't really impressed. Although some of the apps and functions are cool...its very limited compared to what BMW and Hyundai recently launched at the NY Auto Show.
we are talking about local search for POIs here, not internet search.

What exactly is more impressive in Hyundai's system? I believe it works in same way.

It seems you are also mis-reading their Microsoft partnership, it is for cloud services. Toyota uses linux based OS for Entune.
Old 06-17-11, 03:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

in fact, i just checked it, and company named ATX is doing QNX (linux) based telematics for Toyota, Hyundai and BMW. But they are differently integrated, Bluelink is more like OnStar or Toyota's Safety Connect where you pay monthly fee... while with Entune, you connect via your phone and your phones already existing data plan (ie it is free).
Old 06-17-11, 03:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

we are talking about local search for POIs here, not internet search.
Google's database of POI's are very comprehensive and my opinion a lot better than Bing's mapping and poi data. Google and Bing rely on an internet search for POI's. Its one reason why I prefer using my iPhone's google app over my already outdated slim POI entries in my ISF.

What exactly is more impressive in Hyundai's system? I believe it works in same way.
Hyundai's Blue Link is a bit more advanced. They are similar as far as basic user/app interfaces but Hyundai offers a lot more including a remote start/stop feature, web vehicle diagnostics and etc. Check it: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/bluelink/index.aspx

It seems you are also mis-reading their Microsoft partnership, it is for cloud services. Toyota uses linux based OS for Entune.
I believe you have it confused. Salesforce and Toyota are in partnership for cloud computing. Microsoft is in partnership with Toyota for their global telematics.

Don't believe me?

Here's the official PR for Salesforce/Toyota on new social network: http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...al+network.htm

Here's the official PR for Microsoft/Toyota partnership for next generation global telematics:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...rticle_id=2961

Last edited by flipside909; 06-17-11 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-17-11, 03:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

BMW, Hyundai and Toyota, whose connected vehicle (or telematics) programs are each provided by ATX Group, were recognized for excellence with best-in-class awards presented by Telematics Update at the publication's annual Telematics Awards Ceremony & Gala.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090303/ATXLOGO)

BMW's ConnectedDrive program was a co-winner of the Global OEM Infotainment Solution Award. Hyundai and Toyota were co-winners for Best Cloud-based In-Car Application Award. Hyundai's Blue Link™ program shared honors as Best Industry Newcomer Award.

"We've partnered with some of the most visionary and innovative car companies in the industry," said Tom Metzger, senior vice president and general manager of Connected Vehicle Services at ATX. "We're honored to be working with each of these award winners in helping them achieve their unique vision of the connected vehicle ownership experience."

http://www.istockanalyst.com/busines...ematics-awards
Old 06-17-11, 03:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. Windows Azure is cloud platform, it is not Windows OS... it is also used by Hyundai.

There are major differences between Entune and Bluelink, in fact, they are probably not even competition. Bluelink is like SafetyConnect or Lexus Enform. You gotta pay for it via monthly bill.

Entune is multimedia interface completely free of charge to use.
Old 06-17-11, 04:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

p.s. Windows Azure is cloud platform, it is not Windows OS... it is also used by Hyundai.
We're not even discussing platform here. We're talking about the use of Bing here in North America and the use of Google in Europe. Microsoft's partnership with Toyota is for the next generation of telematics for global Toyota in the near future. Since Bing and Google are competitors, theres a good chance we wont see the use of Google mapping or POI for Toyota North America.

There are major differences between Entune and Bluelink, in fact, they are probably not even competition. Bluelink is like SafetyConnect or Lexus Enform. You gotta pay for it via monthly bill.

Entune is multimedia interface completely free of charge to use.
Entune is not entirely free. Its a monthly subscription based service. The only free part is iheartradio which is streaming radio channels of ONLY Clear Channel Communications. I'm pretty sure you will hear countless commercials like they already do with their iphone/blackberry/android app.
Old 06-17-11, 04:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

We're not even discussing platform here. We're talking about the use of Bing here in North America and the use of Google in Europe. Microsoft's partnership with Toyota is for the next generation of telematics for global Toyota in the near future. Since Bing and Google are competitors, theres a good chance we wont see the use of Google mapping or POI for Toyota North America.

Entune is not entirely free. Its a monthly subscription based service. The only free part is iheartradio which is streaming radio channels of ONLY Clear Channel Communications. I'm pretty sure you will hear countless commercials like they already do with their iphone/blackberry/android app.
Hm. You got pretty much everything wrong :-).

1. Entune is free. Not all apps might be free (like subs like pandora), but system is free. You do not pay to use entune. There is no monthly charge.

2. Microsoft collaboration with Toyota has to do with cloud platform not OS. It is same thing that Hyundai is doing with Microsoft. It is for storing user data. Again, has nothing to do with telematics OS or anything like that.

3. BlueLink is like SafetyConnect and Enform. It is not same as Entune. It is also per month payment for service for POIs and voice recognition etc, unlike Entune which uses your mobile phone. Just like Enform.
Old 06-17-11, 05:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Hyundai BlueLink (again, it is like Lexus Enform or Onstar, NOT Entune).

most expensive package with POI and weather:

On the high end, Hyundai owners can opt for the Assurance, Essentials & Guidance package, which adds turn-by-turn navigation, POI search by voice, traffic updates, gas locator with pricing, restaurant ratings and weather, for an annual fee of $279. OnStar’s Directions & Connections package, their most comparable, charges $299 annually.

Entune, which is basically an multimedia interface first and foremost, is FREE.

Most attractive is the lack of monthly fees, as the Entune service will be provided for three years with each new Toyota.
http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/01/...ouncement.html

I sure as hell know i wont pay for enform or entune or bluelink or onstar at price of $300 per year.

Yes, Entune does require mobile phone, which is what I have anyway (data plan).
Old 06-17-11, 05:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yes, Entune does require mobile phone, which is what I have anyway (data plan).
Entune is not available in Europe so it wouldn't apply to you anyway.
Old 06-17-11, 05:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Entune is not available in Europe so it wouldn't apply to you anyway.
it is the same thing :-).

Just slightly different packaging, and the fact that for us, there is no unified market, so there is no easy way to book your movie ticket or dinner across europe.

but we will get map updates, poi's, weather, etc.

You are going to get it in many models in the USA as well... just like EU versions.
Old 06-17-11, 05:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Hm. You got pretty much everything wrong :-).

1. Entune is free. Not all apps might be free (like subs like pandora), but system is free. You do not pay to use entune. There is no monthly charge.
Entune is the name of Toyota's latest multimedia telematics system. Enform is the name of Lexus' multimedia telematics system. Entune's features are far more advanced than Enform. It should have been the other way around.

2. Microsoft collaboration with Toyota has to do with cloud platform not OS. It is same thing that Hyundai is doing with Microsoft. It is for storing user data. Again, has nothing to do with telematics OS or anything like that.
I'm saying that Bing (Microsoft's search engine formerly MSN Search/Live Search) is used in NA where Google is used for Touch & Go. I'm not talking about OS for each product. I'm talking about the main search engine brand.

We in the US get stuck with Bing. Since Google is the main mapping/poi app for Touch & Go in Europe...it will most likely get phased out with Bing with Microsoft's future partnership with Toyota for next generation global telematics. Good thing? Not sure. Google leads the search engine wars. Microsoft may have the money to beef up Bing, but they're behind.

3. BlueLink is like SafetyConnect and Enform. It is not same as Entune. It is also per month payment for service for POIs and voice recognition etc, unlike Entune which uses your mobile phone. Just like Enform.
Bluelink is an advanced GM Onstar and encompasses most of Lexus Enform and Toyota Entune. Bluelink does more things than all the other 3 systems combined.

The whole point I brought up was that Google for Touch & Go is superior to Bing for Enform. Google > Bing. In the end these are features that are to be available in the econobox Yaris.
Old 06-17-11, 05:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Entune is the name of Toyota's latest multimedia telematics system. Enform is the name of Lexus' multimedia telematics system. Entune's features are far more advanced than Enform. It should have been the other way around.

I'm saying that Bing (Microsoft's search engine formerly MSN Search/Live Search) is used in NA where Google is used for Touch & Go. I'm not talking about OS for each product. I'm talking about the main search engine brand.

We in the US get stuck with Bing. Since Google is the main mapping/poi app for Touch & Go in Europe...it will most likely get phased out with Bing with Microsoft's future partnership with Toyota for next generation global telematics. Good thing? Not sure. Google leads the search engine wars. Microsoft may have the money to beef up Bing, but they're behind.

Bluelink is an advanced GM Onstar and encompasses most of Lexus Enform and Toyota Entune. Bluelink does more things than all the other 3 systems combined.

The whole point I brought up was that Google for Touch & Go is superior to Bing for Enform. Google > Bing. In the end these are features that are to be available in the econobox Yaris.
you are still getting it wrong.

Entune is not an telematics service at all. It is multimedia interface. Sure as such it has some Safety Connect features included, but thats not what Entune is.

Once again, global telematics with Microsoft has to do with Microsoft Azure cloud platform, not bing.

Hyundai BlueLink is an telematics service like Enform... has no multimedia features at all, and is going to be integrated into systems like basic CD player with one line text display.

It apsolutly doesnt do half of the features that Entune does because it is just telematics platform. Yes, some Navigation unit in some more expensive model will have USB Ipod integration in Hyundai and it will also have BlueLink, but that doesnt mean those are connected.

Entune and Touch are next generation multimedia interfaces from Toyota that first and foremost give you more multimedia features.

Here is how it works:

The Toyota Touch is making its debut on the Verso-S, a compact minivan that is launching now in Europe. It features a 6.1-inch, full colour, touch screen multimedia system, AM/FM radio, a CD/MP3 player, Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity, a USB port for the connection of portable music players, a trip information screen and a rear view camera.
So 95% of Yaris models will have this 6.1" multimedia interface screen, which is pretty great.

Now if you pay up for nav module ($500), you also get:
navigation, maps, pois, weather, sms, fuel prices and other apps like pandora and such.

I understand what you say about Bing vs Google, I am telling you that BlueLink and Entune have nothing to do with each other. And that Microsoft with telematics has nothing to do with Bing at all but their cloud platform which is where they will store user data.

Toyota next gen systems use QNX, which is linux variant (both Entune and Touch and Go).
Old 06-17-11, 06:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

so basically in 2-3 years, 90% of all European Toyota's will have better than best current Lexus multimedia interface with large 6.1" screen, touch screen, multimedia playback, ipod/usb integration, phone integration, rearview camera and trip info (but nav and apps will have to be paid extra for).

so yeah, thats cool... i bet Lexus will get that, just with better resolution screen as all reviewers pointed how basic Entune and Touch screens had poor resolution, while their premium interfaces had much better resolution and graphics. For instance, Camry LE might get basic one while Camry XLE will get full Entune with apps and navigation.

Honestly, apps and nav is side feature for me, i want that "basic" multimedia interface in my car :-).
Old 06-17-11, 06:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

basically Microsoft won a lot of contracts with its Azure with SQL cloud based platform.
Companies do not want to have to build and maintain their own solutions so buying into existing platform is safe choice.

It doesnt change anything when it comes to anything else on those devices.

Cloud is cool name right now but it is just an hosted service in the end. It is what they would get an 3rd party company to provide for them in the past as well.

Quick Reply: Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)