Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 06:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

ah, here is US review of Prius V which pretty much explains the same thing as what Touch and Touch and Go is in Europe:

'll write-up a more in-depth piece on Toyota's new Entune system soon, but Toyota's new audio systems are definitely worth covering even without mentioning Entune. The Prius v will come base configured with what they call the Display Audio system. It is a 6.1" touch screen audio system with integrated backup camera, single CD player with MP3/WMA playback, AUX jack, USB port with iPod integration, Bluetooth audio and hands-free phone capabilities. No XM Radio option on the base audio system. The Prius v Three adds Navigation, Entune, XM Radio, and HD Radio. The Prius v Five upgrades the audio system to the Premium Navigation system with Entune and JBL. That includes a 7-inch higher-resolution screen, Denso's next generation navigation system (hard drive based), and JBL GreenEdge Technology. The GreenEdge Technology system from JBL includes a new amplifier that puts out 600 equivalent watts of power, but only uses 120 watts. It weighs one-third less than the current Prius system, and reduces power consumption by 50%.

Overall, all of the audio systems sound pretty good, though I probably listened more to the Premium Navigation system in the Prius v Five. The JBL system on the Premium Navigation system sounded great. The screen on the Premium Navigation is definitely a resolution upgrade, and it includes a few nice features like a split-screen navigation screen. The current Prius navigation system can split the navigation screen between two map views, or one map view and one view showing upcoming interstate exits. This new system in the Prius v can split that navigation screen into half map view, half audio view… Or, half map view, half energy consumption view… on and on… It's a really nice feature; I'm sure once you play around with it enough to set it exactly how you want, it will prove to be handy.

The LCD screens that come with the Display Audio systems are of a fairly low resolution, though, and that is disappointing. It almost makes the Navigation and Entune features not worth using. Text on the maps is hard to read, images look ugly, etc. When a company like Barnes & Noble can sell a 7-inch e-reader with a beautiful, high-res screen for $299, I don't see any reason why Toyota can't up their screen technology without breaking the bank. All that said, it is a step forward for Toyota and small things like on-screen album art are a welcome addition to a Toyota audio lineup that was quickly starting to fall behind the competition.
Old 06-17-11, 06:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

so even in the US, you will have similar to European Touch and Touch and Go.

1. "Display Audio" system - 6.1" multimedia interface - It is a 6.1" touch screen audio system with integrated backup camera, single CD player with MP3/WMA playback, AUX jack, USB port with iPod integration, Bluetooth audio and hands-free phone capabilities. This comes on BASE Prius V.
2. Display Audio + nav is called Entune.
3. Entune Premium with much better screen and HDD/SD cards for base nav.

In Europe:
1. Toyota Touch 6.1" multimedia system
2. Toyota Touch 6.1" + nav box ($500) is Toyota Touch and Go
3. Toyota Touch and Go premium will be nav option like before with faster nav, premium audio and $2k price :-).

For me, this "Display Audio" or "Toyota Touch" is the star of the show. I hate those 1 liner LCD's in 30k-50k cars without nav... now even the cheapest Toyota's (or at least 2nd cheapest) will have 6.1" multimedia screen!
Old 06-17-11, 06:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. i feel what that writer calls bad resolution is probably better than 6th gen lexus navs :-)
Old 06-18-11, 01:35 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much better really is Hyundai's Bluelink? It compares to both Entune and Toyota's Safety Connect. Things like web diagnostics seems more like a gimmick than a useful practical feature. Remote-start is a useful feature though. Also keep in mind many of these things for Bluelink can add up and cost extra. If you load up all the features in Bluelink, how much more would that cost compared to Entune plus Safety Connect? I'm betting quite a bit more.

Seems like Toyota partnered with Microsoft for the US, and Google for Europe. Who knows why Toyota chose this the way they did? I'm sure they had their reasons why they chose to do it this way.
Old 06-18-11, 06:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
How much better really is Hyundai's Bluelink? It compares to both Entune and Toyota's Safety Connect. Things like web diagnostics seems more like a gimmick than a useful practical feature. Remote-start is a useful feature though. Also keep in mind many of these things for Bluelink can add up and cost extra. If you load up all the features in Bluelink, how much more would that cost compared to Entune plus Safety Connect? I'm betting quite a bit more.

Seems like Toyota partnered with Microsoft for the US, and Google for Europe. Who knows why Toyota chose this the way they did? I'm sure they had their reasons why they chose to do it this way.
safety connect does not provide same features like bluelink... it is really just the basic assistance telematics... bluelink has a lot more features but it is also up to $300 per year.

Entune on the other hand is completely free. And it is more of multimedia thing that really in the end has nothing to do with Bluelink at all.
Old 06-18-11, 11:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

my head hurts...
Old 06-18-11, 11:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

I am sure NA wont get half of these, but thats because americans are not prepared to pay for 22k Yaris :-)
You are absolute correct. I would not pay that much for a yaris, no matter how fully loaded it is
Old 06-18-11, 11:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Glad you mentioned this...lets take a look...

safety connect does not provide same features like bluelink... it is really just the basic assistance telematics... bluelink has a lot more features but it is also up to $300 per year.

Entune on the other hand is completely free. And it is more of multimedia thing that really in the end has nothing to do with Bluelink at all.

Safety Connect is a seperate feature of Lexus Enform & Toyota Entune. Hyundai Bluelink simplifies it all under one hat. A full Bluelink yearly subscription is $279.

If you did this for Lexus:

Lexus Enform w/Safety Connect (e-destination/destination assist+Emergency roadside) $265/yr.

PLUS

XM NavWeather (Nav Traffic/Weather/Sat Radio) Subscription $20/mo.

That's $505/yr for Lexus Enform/Safety Connect & XM Pkg vs. Hyundai's full offering w/multimedia capabilities at @ $265/yr.

You can use Entune for free, but without a paid wireless data subscription, its technically not. If you're paying $20/mo for data on your phone to pair with, thats $240.00/yr. Unlimited data plans are going away...so streaming audio can get pricey if you use it often and you exceed the cap.

So yes you're right more features for $279...but in order to get that for Lexus Enform/XM Package...you need to spend a lot more per year.

Last edited by flipside909; 06-18-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-18-11, 11:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I'm sure Google for Europe will be phased out as Microsoft is partnering with Toyota for the next gen of telematics. I know Microsoft is going to push the integration of Bing into Touch & Go and the other Toyota systems around the world. Why would Microsoft allow Google to run a mapping system under a Microsoft based platform? Which is what I don't really agree with.
Old 06-18-11, 11:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
I'm sure Google for Europe will be phased out as Microsoft is partnering with Toyota for the next gen of telematics. I know Microsoft is going to push the integration of Bing into Touch & Go and the other Toyota systems around the world. Why would Microsoft allow Google to run a mapping system under a Microsoft based platform? Which is what I don't really agree with.
dear god, it is not microsoft platform, just azure cloud solution.

how hard is that to understand?

actual platform is QNX linus implementation.

I know that I am software guy so I understand this better, but it really is as simple as PR says.
Old 06-18-11, 11:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my head hurts...
all you need to know - no more 1 liner LCD's for audio systems in Toyota and Lexus vehicles. It is being replaced by:

1. "Display Audio" system - 6.1" multimedia interface - It is a 6.1" touch screen audio system with integrated backup camera, single CD player with MP3/WMA playback, AUX jack, USB port with iPod integration, Bluetooth audio and hands-free phone capabilities. This comes on BASE Prius V.
2. Display Audio + nav + apps is called Entune.
3. Entune Premium with much better screen and HDD/SD cards for base nav.
Old 06-18-11, 12:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

dear god, it is not microsoft platform, just azure cloud solution.

how hard is that to understand?

actual platform is QNX linus implementation.

I know that I am software guy so I understand this better, but it really is as simple as PR says.
LOL we're talking about two different things. Google > Bing (Microsoft). End of story.
Old 06-21-11, 04:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

US version testing... it looks really good in real life pics.

Another great news from Germany... pricing has been announced and base Yaris is actually €100 cheaper while getting 7 airbags, 6 speakers, steering wheel audio controls, electric pack, USB w/ipod and ESP as standard equipment and 8% lesser consumption on all 3 engines.

Optional equipment:
- Lounge pack with 8 speakers, amp, tinted windows, interior leds, part leather heated seats - €950
- Panoramic roof - €600
- apps and nav for Toyota touch - €550
- Autodimming mirror, light/rain sensors, smart key system and cruise control - €700.

Mid level spec ("normal spec") comes with 6.1" Toyota Touch, Soft plastics, Leather steering wheel/shifter, blue tooth, reverse camera and is actually $1k less than before.

So expect good performance, lots of grown up features and competitive price.
Old 06-21-11, 06:14 PM
LexFather

Proportions look great there. Toyota knows they have to really hit a home run with this gen Yaris. The connectivity option will be fantastic.

The sleeping giant is awoken....

Old 06-21-11, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

US version testing... it looks really good in real life pics.
bwaha... you said this about the new hyundai accent though

it is really affordable even if i dont like any part of design, inside/out.
i'd say it looks better but actually quite similar to that yaris!

Quick Reply: Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)