Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 05:45 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

http://twitter.com/#!/Toyota

The 2012 Yaris will debut at Lollapalooza this weekend, giving away headbands. Sweet, sweet headbands
Old 08-04-11, 11:15 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
That is awesome news
Old 08-09-11, 02:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lollapalooza findings (Cars.com write up)

Originally Posted by GFerg
http://twitter.com/#!/Toyota

The 2012 Yaris will debut at Lollapalooza this weekend, giving away headbands. Sweet, sweet headbands
Generally, we don’t get up close with a new model before it is officially announced. But thanks to marketing miracles, we bring you the first look at the 2012 Toyota Yaris from the rock spectacle known as Lollapalooza 2011.

The three-day festival in Chicago’s Grant Park is a perfect target market for Toyota. That’s probably why the brand wanted to get the redesigned Yaris in front of those eyeballs ahead of the media.

Fortunately, Cars.com editor Joe Bruzek is attending Lollapalooza this weekend, and on his day off he filed a full report, including information from spec sheets being handed out to interested concert-goers.

According to the sheet, for the LE model on display, the Yaris comes equipped with a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine, like the current model. It says 2012 mileage with an automatic is expected to be 30/35 mpg city/highway compared with the 2011’s 29/35 mpg. The manual will get 30/38 mpg versus the 2011's 29/36 mpg.

The four-door hatchback on display also comes with air conditioning, tilt steering wheel with audio controls, power windows with auto-down on the driver’s side, CD stereo with USB input and iPod capability, Bluetooth phone connectivity and audio streaming, 15-inch steel wheels, and nine airbags. There will be a base L trim level, LE and top of the line SE.

Bruzek noted that the proportions of the car seem a little "off" with the dominant front end overwhelming an otherwise very small car. He also approved of Toyota ridding the Yaris of the center-mounted gauge cluster. It now resides in front of the steering wheel as is typical. And while there may be some traditional traits, Bruzek thought the design is much more interesting than the previous Yaris and is more Scion-like. The interior materials are softer to the touch he says and a big improvement.

The Yaris will go on sale in early September/late October. We'll have much more information on pricing, trim levels and equipment later this month.
Looks like the same engine, same old 4-speed auto, and only a 1 mpg bump. Pretty disappointing when some competitors are boasting 40 mpg highway, 6-speeds, and much more power.
Old 08-09-11, 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Looks like the same engine, same old 4-speed auto, and only a 1 mpg bump. Pretty disappointing when some competitors are boasting 40 mpg highway, 6-speeds, and much more power.
indeed... manual is decent though.

problem with USDM yaris is strong yen and japanese production. Yen went up 20% against dollar in past 3 years while won went down 30% against usd.

the pricing ends up being fine because they are keeping 1NZ engine and 4AT.

at least interior this time around is same quality as in euro version...
Old 08-09-11, 03:19 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Why can't the US Yaris get the CVT that most other regions are getting? I don't get it. Does CVT really cost that much more than a 4-speed auto?
Old 08-09-11, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Why can't the US Yaris get the CVT that most other regions are getting? I don't get it. Does CVT really cost that much more than a 4-speed auto?
because rest of the regions have local Yaris production and yen has appreciated 20-30% in past 3 years.

meaning that it costs them 20-30% more to sell Japanese Yaris in US market.

In fact, i would not be surprised if next gen Corolla is very similarly priced in US compared to Yaris.
Old 08-09-11, 03:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

found some good quality european shots:

Probably what SE will look like... too bad they didnt put 1.8l inside for the same price :-)
Old 08-09-11, 04:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Utterly pathetic on Toyota's part. I hope the competitors clean the floor with them in this segment. This is such an improvement in so many key areas, yet they totally drop the ball on power train and transmission, when so much better (6spd, CVT) is available in other smaller markets. For Pete's sake, that 1.5 is ANCIENT now, and I'm sure the 1.6L ZR is ripe to be placed in other platforms. WTF Toyota.. really?

**sigh**
Old 08-09-11, 05:28 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Utterly pathetic on Toyota's part. I hope the competitors clean the floor with them in this segment. This is such an improvement in so many key areas, yet they totally drop the ball on power train and transmission, when so much better (6spd, CVT) is available in other smaller markets. For Pete's sake, that 1.5 is ANCIENT now, and I'm sure the 1.6L ZR is ripe to be placed in other platforms. WTF Toyota.. really?

**sigh**
We can always count on Toyota to get things wrong
Old 08-09-11, 05:42 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

do I see one wiper on the windshield?
Old 08-09-11, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
**sigh**
Originally Posted by JessePS
We can always count on Toyota to get things wrong
jesseps, i assume you're being sarcastic in response to MR_F1?

either way, i guess this is part of toyota's new longer life platform strategy... the car will be out like this for 3 years, then get all new drivetrains and other tweaks to make it last another 3 years.
Old 08-09-11, 06:43 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh thank heavens no center-mount dash.
Old 08-10-11, 05:08 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
either way, i guess this is part of toyota's new longer life platform strategy... the car will be out like this for 3 years, then get all new drivetrains and other tweaks to make it last another 3 years.

That's not good enough. They could just the same put the 6spd/cvt and the ZR engine, and then add Valvematic and start/stop (optimum drive) a few years down the line, or at the very least, update the NZ engine. The competition has cars with 130+ hp AND 40mpg. I think this is complacent on their part and unacceptable. I'm one of the first to always defend Toyota's product, but I have to call it like I see it.

I could understand a move like this for the JDM where the Vitz and NZ engine has tons of aftermarket support, and is well loved by tuners, but it makes no sense anywhere else.
Old 08-10-11, 05:31 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

As much as I hate to say it, it's time for Toyota to move production of the Yaris out of Japan if they can't compete because of cost.

I have a Yaris and love it. It's a manual and has adequate power. But the new one needed to step it up in light of the new Accent, Fiesta, Sonic, ect...
Old 08-10-11, 05:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

As much as I hate to say it, it's time for Toyota to move production of the Yaris out of Japan if they can't compete because of cost.

I have a Yaris and love it. It's a manual and has adequate power. But the new one needed to step it up in light of the new Accent, Fiesta, Sonic, ect...
problem is that there is not enough sales for subcompact like Yaris to have it produced in US.

Unlike Corolla, which gets brand new factory in the US this year...

And USD is down vs EUR as well, so they cant export it from France.

Only thing they could do is produce it in Thailand or China and then export to the states, which they dont want to do. Unfortunately that makes Yaris a collateral victim.

I bet next gen Corolla will have more equipment than Yaris SE, for same price.

Quick Reply: Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)