Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 01:55 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More pics including the interior, which shows a non-centered instrument cluster. There are 4 grades in total for the JDM: the base version L, the loaded version U (which you can tell from the projector headlights), the female-oriented Jewela (but I personally think the new Yaris/Vitz has lost its cuteness and will probably lose a lot of female support) and RS (sport version). Engine options include the 71hp 1.0L, 95hp 1.33L and 110hp 1.5L, mated to to either CVT or 5-speed manual.

Auto start-stop system included:

I don't like the tail lights. Actually I don't like the front either. I think only the sport version looks better than the last-gen. The regular versions look worse.

The RS version:

Source

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-15-10 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 11:17 PM
WAES300
Driver

I like it. Hopefully the sedan will remain pretty similar- I think the styling will work well on a 4-door as well. As for the center mounted gauges, it's just a matter of getting used to it... My mom has a Prius and after she let me drive it a few times, it was just second nature.

Edit: I didn't see the smart stop feature! I hope they spread it across the board on all their cars!
Old 10-16-10, 01:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

smart stop is on 1.33l engine, already on some cars in europe for quite a while now... also 1.33l engine has 6 speed transmission. For Japan, i am also sure there will be 4AT transmissions as well.
Old 10-16-10, 01:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The only exterior variable is the bumpers and wheels. The US market probably won't see the most aggressive silver one posted. Although, it may very well be the "S" model. We'll get the conservative version in base form.

The current Yaris is pretty much the same worldwide outside of trim and engine differences. Same lights and everything.
After looking at more pics, the car looks better than I initially thought. I will wait for high quality pictures before making further judgement.

It still however looks to me like more of a facelift (in the exterior) than a full redesign. Will have to see the dimensions to be sure. The interior thought is definitely a full redesign and a nice improvement.

Originally Posted by spwolf
just cost of things...
Valvematic was first introduced in 2007 in Japan. It has slowly spread across more models and economies of scale have improved the cost.

Also competition is strong. Toyota confirmed with some future models they would be taking a short-term profit hit to increase competitiveness.

That is what Toyota needs to do IMHO. Spreading Valvematic across most of the lineup would introduce a short-term profit hit, but that would quickly improve as economies of scale would take effect.

If next-gen North American Toyota models or Lexus models don't have Valvematic, or at the very least increased use of VVT-iE, I would be very disappointed.

Toyota needs to become a clear leader in many market segments once again, and spreading Valvematic across the lineup would be one way of doing that (the other way being to spread the use of VVT-iE and introduce Dual VVT-iE).
Old 10-16-10, 03:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
After looking at more pics, the car looks better than I initially thought. I will wait for high quality pictures before making further judgement.

It still however looks to me like more of a facelift (in the exterior) than a full redesign. Will have to see the dimensions to be sure. The interior thought is definitely a full redesign and a nice improvement
It's definitely a 100% redesign from the ground up.

A "facelift" consists of one or more of the following changes (typically): restyled headlights or taillights, new grill, modified bumpers, and maybe some new trim pieces. Sometimes companies take it a step further with interior changes (usually only when they screwed up the first time).

A redesign, which this is, is a different size, has all new body panels, completely new interior, new drivetrain, and everything. Only the Yaris name is carried over.

For example, even the new Ford Fusion isn't a redesign regardless of it's significant changes.

If you want to identify what a real redesign is at a quick glance, all you need to do is look at the cab shape. If that's different even in the slightest, then the car is a 100% redesign.
Old 10-16-10, 07:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The exterior looked to me to be the same shape and size as the current model, but I guess I'm wrong. Must be the poor quality pictures we have so far.

And yes, I am aware of the differences with a facelift and redesign .
Old 10-16-10, 07:30 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The exterior looked to me to be the same shape and size as the current model, but I guess I'm wrong. Must be the poor quality pictures we have so far.

And yes, I am aware of the differences with a facelift and redesign .
My analysis of facelifts and redesigns wasn't directed at you.

Just seems that I constantly read posts of those who confuse the difference or don't recognize any change.

One of the key design differences you'll notice is the rear pillar. Personally, I prefer the current model's rearward flowing pillar. This new design mirrors the shape of the Nissan Versa hatch's forward facing kink. Not to mention the increased width of the vehicle.
Old 10-16-10, 07:46 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hooray for no more center-mounted gauges.

Butt reminds me of a Scion xD.
Old 10-17-10, 11:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

It still however looks to me like more of a facelift (in the exterior) than a full redesign. Will have to see the dimensions to be sure. The interior thought is definitely a full redesign and a nice improvement.

Valvematic was first introduced in 2007 in Japan. It has slowly spread across more models and economies of scale have improved the cost.

Also competition is strong. Toyota confirmed with some future models they would be taking a short-term profit hit to increase competitiveness.

That is what Toyota needs to do IMHO. Spreading Valvematic across most of the lineup would introduce a short-term profit hit, but that would quickly improve as economies of scale would take effect.

If next-gen North American Toyota models or Lexus models don't have Valvematic, or at the very least increased use of VVT-iE, I would be very disappointed.

Toyota needs to become a clear leader in many market segments once again, and spreading Valvematic across the lineup would be one way of doing that (the other way being to spread the use of VVT-iE and introduce Dual VVT-iE).
they use Valvematic engines mostly in Europe, where CO2 values are important. I doubt there are some big differences in economies of scale when you produce over 1 million of something.

It is same reason you still have 4 speed AT's in USA, while in Europe except for 1.0l 3cly and Prado, all other vehicles and engines have 6 speed manuals, automatic, robotized manuals and CVT with 7 virtual gears and thats probably over 50 different combinations, at least.

Yet in Europe they are losing money, in US they are making money...
Old 10-17-10, 11:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just seems that I constantly read posts of those who confuse the difference or don't recognize any change.

One of the key design differences you'll notice is the rear pillar. Personally, I prefer the current model's rearward flowing pillar. This new design mirrors the shape of the Nissan Versa hatch's forward facing kink. Not to mention the increased width of the vehicle.
Yeah I agree, a lot of people do confuse the two.

You're right, the rear pillar is a big change. I actually prefer this rear pillar as combined with the new headlights makes it look more aggressive/sporty. The current flowing pillar is nice too.

they use Valvematic engines mostly in Europe, where CO2 values are important. I doubt there are some big differences in economies of scale when you produce over 1 million of something.

It is same reason you still have 4 speed AT's in USA, while in Europe except for 1.0l 3cly and Prado, all other vehicles and engines have 6 speed manuals, automatic, robotized manuals and CVT with 7 virtual gears and thats probably over 50 different combinations, at least.

Yet in Europe they are losing money, in US they are making money...
Toyota is not a top 3 automaker in Europe though, so they are trying to penetrate the market more. I would assume that's why they are losing money in Europe.

4ATs are becoming rare in Toyotas here in the US. I expect all models soon to have at minimum 5 or 6ATs.

They also use Valvematic engines in Japan. The key point about Valvematic is not just CO2 values. The key is that it improves BOTH horsepower and fuel economy at the same time. It gives a 10-14% improvement in both fuel economy and HP.

If Toyota can make all their engines class-leading without using Valvematic that would be amazing. I think though that they would probably need either Valvematic or Dual VVT-iE to be clear engine leaders in many classes.

Well producing say 4 million versus 1 million I would think there is definitely a difference in economies of scale.

Also if we use this logic, then US Toyotas wouldn't even have Dual VVT-i right now.

Sometimes Toyota needs to become a class leader at the cost of profits. It took years for the Prius project to become profitable, and Toyota spent billions on R&D for the Prius project back when no other automakers were really interested in hybrids. Look where Toyota is now with hybrids.

There is nothing wrong with a short-term cut in profit if it leads to longer-term gain.

Toyota historically has always been a very long-term thinking company.
Old 10-18-10, 01:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

only engines that currently have valvematic are 1.6l and 1.8l, you guys do not use 1.6l, so it is only in 1.8l... rest of them have completely new ZR block with dual vvti and you guys get that in the usa.

on 1.6l you could see big difference between old ZZ and new ZR valvematic, on larger engines difference is not as noticeable... Who knows, maybe new Yaris will have 1.6l engine instead of 1.5l?
Old 10-19-10, 01:56 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

only engines that currently have valvematic are 1.6l and 1.8l, you guys do not use 1.6l, so it is only in 1.8l... rest of them have completely new ZR block with dual vvti and you guys get that in the usa.

on 1.6l you could see big difference between old ZZ and new ZR valvematic, on larger engines difference is not as noticeable... Who knows, maybe new Yaris will have 1.6l engine instead of 1.5l?
Dual VVT-i was first introduced on a 2.0L engine and then spread to bigger engines.

Yes Valvematic is currently in 1.6L and 1.8L engines ... for now. Valvematic in more engines would help Toyota not just for competitive reasons, but also for meeting upcoming CAFE standards in the US.

Also we can look at VVT-i. It was first introduced in 1996, but very quickly spread across Toyota's lineup include to US models.

Toyota took a lot longer to spread Dual VVT-i to all of its models, but that was during a period where Toyota did not make the greatest decisions.

Hopefully this time Toyota does not wait until 2014 or 2015 to start spreading Valvematic to US vehicles.
Old 10-19-10, 06:35 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

One of my main powertrain concerns is Toyota's choice of transmission in the new Yaris.

They absolutely cannot settle for a 4-speed automatic again. Even a 5-speed won't do anymore. You always need to aim your sights on the class leader and right now that's the Ford Fiesta. It has a 6-speed and if Toyota wants to earn the title for most efficient sub-compact back, they'll need a 6-speed with a high final gear for amazing highway mpg. The Fiesta's automatic receives a 40mpg rating because of its transmission, no so much from special engine tech that no one else has. 40 is quite amazing since the current Yaris [auto] is 2nd place and sits at a 35 rating (36 for manual). Although real world, most including myself get 40-44 mpg highway even going 70mph.

If Toyota mates a 6-speed with its best engine tech, I think the Yaris could leapfrog to an EPA rating of about 42 mpg highway. Non-hybrid!
Old 10-19-10, 11:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

One of my main powertrain concerns is Toyota's choice of transmission in the new Yaris.

They absolutely cannot settle for a 4-speed automatic again. Even a 5-speed won't do anymore. You always need to aim your sights on the class leader and right now that's the Ford Fiesta. It has a 6-speed and if Toyota wants to earn the title for most efficient sub-compact back, they'll need a 6-speed with a high final gear for amazing highway mpg. The Fiesta's automatic receives a 40mpg rating because of its transmission, no so much from special engine tech that no one else has. 40 is quite amazing since the current Yaris [auto] is 2nd place and sits at a 35 rating (36 for manual). Although real world, most including myself get 40-44 mpg highway even going 70mph.

If Toyota mates a 6-speed with its best engine tech, I think the Yaris could leapfrog to an EPA rating of about 42 mpg highway. Non-hybrid!
Using Valvematic alone would give the current Yaris more power and EPA economy of roughly 32/40 mpg for the manual and 32/39 for the auto. That's with the current dated model and still sticking with the 4-speed auto .

I totally agree that the 6-speed should be standard as well. I hope we will see that. Camry 4 cyl now has 6-speed, All Venzas are 6-speed, 4-cyl Highlander is now 6-speed, and all Siennas are now 6-speed. The 2011 tC also has standard 6-speed, both auto and manual.

These are higher class cars of course than Yaris, or Corolla or Rav4. A long time ago I did remember reading Toyota had a promise to completely overhaul their transmission lineup by 2010. Of course this hasn't exactly occurred, but I would hope this happens soon.

tC though is close in class to Corolla, Rav4 and Yaris so this is a good sign I think.
Old 10-19-10, 11:35 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Using Valvematic alone would give the current Yaris more power and EPA economy of roughly 32/40 mpg for the manual and 32/39 for the auto. That's with the current dated model and still sticking with the 4-speed auto .

I totally agree that the 6-speed should be standard as well. I hope we will see that. Camry 4 cyl now has 6-speed, All Venzas are 6-speed, 4-cyl Highlander is now 6-speed, and all Siennas are now 6-speed. The 2011 tC also has standard 6-speed, both auto and manual.

These are higher class cars of course than Yaris, or Corolla or Rav4. A long time ago I did remember reading Toyota had a promise to completely overhaul their transmission lineup by 2010. Of course this hasn't exactly occurred, but I would hope this happens soon.

tC though is close in class to Corolla, Rav4 and Yaris so this is a good sign I think.
The tC uses the Camry engine and is based on the Avensis platform so 6-speed auto isn't happening to the Corolla class yet. CVT, however, is something that's already equipped on many Corolla and Yaris-class Toyota cars so that's what we can look forward to instead.

Quick Reply: Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)