Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 09:54 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
To be honest, I was hoping for something a bit more dramatic in terms of styling. This looks 90% like the existing model and I wonder if the American public (Yaris) will take note without a more updated look.
I too was hoping for a bigger step into the future than this. This car will only seem fresh for about 2 years after it comes out with everyone else moving so fast (Hyundai, Ford, ect.). I am glad they got rid of some of the quirkiness of the current model (ie. tall happy headlights, center gauges, dash mounted cup holders, ect.).

Sales have really slid in the last year or two. Partly because of low gas prices but also because of an influx of new competition. This new model may not help gain much market share.
Old 12-22-10, 10:00 AM
LexFather

Really MIke? Seems more edgy and sharp to me. Interior seems very different than most and a nice upgrade.

Old 12-22-10, 11:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I too was hoping for a bigger step into the future than this. This car will only seem fresh for about 2 years after it comes out with everyone else moving so fast (Hyundai, Ford, ect.). I am glad they got rid of some of the quirkiness of the current model (ie. tall happy headlights, center gauges, dash mounted cup holders, ect.).

Sales have really slid in the last year or two. Partly because of low gas prices but also because of an influx of new competition. This new model may not help gain much market share.
Agree 100%!
Old 12-22-10, 04:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Ugly. I think the current Yaris looks far better.

Old 12-22-10, 05:24 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

The front reminds me of the CT. anyone else?
Old 12-22-10, 10:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I would have liked a bigger step as well in terms of the exterior. However, interior is a big improvement over the current one and the exterior while only a slight change it looks much better than the current model. I can confidently say this after looking at high quality pictures. Definitely looks better than when the blurry spy shots appeared.

The Germans do it all the time, barely changing the exteriors of their vehicles and they often get praised for it. I guess Toyota is trying to go for more brand loyalty (by less alienation) and a family look to certain models and vehicles.

The only thing that I'm actually surprised about is no new Valvematic engines for this. Then again, this is a model below the Corolla and even without Valvematic there has been a nice improvement in fuel economy.

In the US, this should get EPA ratings of 30-31 mpg city and high 30s highway. Even with new competition, this should achieve class-leading city mpg I believe. The new Ford Fiesta only matches the current dated Yaris in city fuel economy; it doesn't beat it.
Old 12-27-10, 09:51 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The only thing that I'm actually surprised about is no new Valvematic engines for this. Then again, this is a model below the Corolla and even without Valvematic there has been a nice improvement in fuel economy.
It is beyond me why this car still will use the 1NZ 1.5, when the far better 1.6 ZR engine (with valvematic) and 1.33 NR engine are being introduced while the NZ is being fazed out? Why go on the back foot Toyota? Just Why?

What about a 1.5L variant of the NR engine? With valvematic?

Old 12-28-10, 06:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^In typical Toyota fashion, two steps forward and one step back.
Old 12-28-10, 07:54 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that, eventually, the new 3rd-generation Yaris for North America will be built in Mexico. For more on my line of thinking, here's what I wrote for the Kaizen Factor blog:

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...t-in-mexico-2/
Old 12-28-10, 08:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
It is beyond me why this car still will use the 1NZ 1.5, when the far better 1.6 ZR engine (with valvematic) and 1.33 NR engine are being introduced while the NZ is being fazed out? Why go on the back foot Toyota? Just Why?

What about a 1.5L variant of the NR engine? With valvematic?

Reminds me of the old 2.4 in the HS instead of the new 2.5

Old 12-28-10, 10:14 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jruhi4
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that, eventually, the new 3rd-generation Yaris for North America will be built in Mexico. For more on my line of thinking, here's what I wrote for the Kaizen Factor blog:

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...t-in-mexico-2/
Thanks for the article. A lot of good info there.
Old 12-28-10, 10:29 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Thanks for the article. A lot of good info there.
Happy to oblige.
Old 12-28-10, 10:36 AM
LexFather

Toyota needs to make a true sport version of every car they make. Drop a bigger engine, tune the suspension, make things interesting. A hot rod Yaris would give it a one up on the lil **** and the Versa as well as Fiesta etc

Old 12-28-10, 10:49 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota needs to make a true sport version of every car they make. Drop a bigger engine, tune the suspension, make things interesting. A hot rod Yaris would give it a one up on the lil **** and the Versa as well as Fiesta etc
I definitely agree, and I suspect Europe might get this, but I'm not particularly optimistic regarding North America, seeing how Toyota just killed the Corolla XRS...
Old 12-30-10, 02:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
To be honest, I was hoping for something a bit more dramatic in terms of styling. This looks 90% like the existing model and I wonder if the American public (Yaris) will take note without a more updated look.
Yaris sold very well worldwide, and there is no reason to change it that much... to my european eyes, it looks very very good.

I think they went a bit too safe with interior, but i like upgraded quality (dash covered with soft plastic), more interior space and most importantly a lot larger trunk space with 14.5cm deeper trunk.

I didnt think they would do anything else to the engines, whole lineup was refreshed just year ago for Europe anyway... 1.5l NZ continues to trunk on, but that engine is not even sold in Europe. NR is latest generation engine with smart stop and dual vvti.

Quick Reply: Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)