Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

PR: Lexus 2011 LS 460 Touring Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 03:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there are new lexuses coming up and catchup game will begin again.
There is nothing new from Lexus is exciting anymore, all I see is disappointment since 2007 when the GS460 only had 342 hp. The up and coming GS-F don't sounds anything exciting at all. Not to mention all the quality issues all the Toyota products have now.

Offering more options in LS (like Sport or this Touring) is major break for Lexus.
I do appreciate Lexus is trying to offer more sporty versions, but they are just not getting it. The LS460 sport still got high ride height, same as the regular version ultra conservative offset wheels, don't have wider wheels/tires in the back......etc. Just disappointing. Even the Equus got staggered wheels/tires and much better stance.

Previously there was only a single version... now you have a lot of them.
On the LS430, there was regular, modern luxury, custom luxury, ultra luxury and sport.
Old 06-21-11, 04:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
another disappointing edition of the LS imho.
No kidding, cost cutting to pay for all the warranty recalls, lawsuits or all the money they are losing on the LFA? What's the deal?

the add on body kits is quite sad (i don't want to use a more negative word).
It looks like a huge Corolla S, is that a more negative word?

the interior trim is different i guess, but if it was me, i would rather have aluminum trim if it's about "sport". matte looking wood piece, it's just a bit too weird to me.
Agreed 100%, I would like aluminum much more. I guess BMW got it, Lexus don't.

also, either this touring or sport version, if it's really about sport, why not some increased power
Well in Lexus defense, this is only a sport package, not a performance package. All the AMG/M-Sport/S-line packages on the S550/750i/A8 don't come with increased power either. Only the AMG performance package on the S63 come with increased power, but that is a performance package on top of a performance version, and it is boosted so is easy to change the ECU map for a bit more power.
Old 06-21-11, 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
There is nothing new from Lexus is exciting anymore, all I see is disappointment since 2007 when the GS460 only had 342 hp. The up and coming GS-F don't sounds anything exciting at all. Not to mention all the quality issues all the Toyota products have now.

I dont agree at all - IS F and LFA are plenty exciting:

New LS compared to old:
+ LWB version
+ Hybrid version
+ AWD version
+ Sport version

I think they added plenty.

As to the quality issues - compared to what car? I just read latest Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) today and their test X5 30d broke down on the road with diesel injector issues after 53k miles.

Yes, I know... mats are horrible issues!
Old 06-21-11, 05:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I dont agree at all - IS F and LFA are plenty exciting:
I REALLY appreciate Lexus going the whole F direction, but they are just not good enough.

IS-F is good by itself, but not if M3 and C63 is actually cheaper after heavy discount from their respective dealers.

LFA would be amazing.........if the MSRP is less then $180k. For $375k, there are tons of cheaper cars that are way cooler.

But then you are straightly talking about exciting products........then yes ISF and LFA is very exciting. I guess I am always looking for good value, best in class kinda thing.....both the ISF and LFA are not good value/best in class.

Exciting to me is the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec, all that for $47k.....wow.

New LS compared to old:
+ LWB version
+ Hybrid version
+ AWD version
+ Sport version

I think they added plenty.
Yes they did. We just all wish they can make a proper sport version, like an AMG S550.

As to the quality issues - compared to what car?
Compare to the last generations Lexus.

I just read latest Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) today and their test X5 30d broke down on the road with diesel injector issues after 53k miles.
Don't get me wrong, Lexus is still the best in reliability and build quality. They are just not what it used to. LS400/LS430 was legendary, bulletproof....you can't break them if you want to. LS460 is just decent and good.

Yes, I know... mats are horrible issues!
I don't even count the mats as an issue. But they now got issues that no older Lexus have.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-21-11 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 05:51 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
*sigh*

This is just essentially a toned-down Sport version. Also very disappointing that this is now the second LS model variant to have a tacked-on body kit .

Toyota, please eliminate tacked-on body kits for any and all future Lexus models. Tacked-on body kits might be okay for Toyota models, but they have no place on Lexus models IMHO. It really cheapens the look of any Lexus vehicle, especially a prestige vehicle like the LS.
By tacked on bodykit, you mean as opposed to a proper custom developed Sports bumper like BMW does on their M-Sport models? I agree, the stick on panels at the bottom of the bumper just look tacky. It's the kind of thing the kids do when they buy 5 year old Lexus cars. Not something an OEM should do to a brand new $80k car. It should have a proper aero bumper.
Old 06-21-11, 05:57 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The other thing I don't like is there is no choice of trims on these Sport edition models. I hate the black/saddle interior. Would love to see an LS460 Sport in something like the Oyster/Black trim in the 7 Series.

Old 06-21-11, 05:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Exciting to me is the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec, all that for $47k.....wow.
well get it then and let us know how it is? you will never find lexus product as affordable as hyundai.

not really sure about old ls vs new ls... as to the is-f, it is better value than germans if you calculate the equipment.
Old 06-21-11, 05:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
By tacked on bodykit, you mean as opposed to a proper custom developed Sports bumper like BMW does on their M-Sport models? I agree, the stick on panels at the bottom of the bumper just look tacky. It's the kind of thing the kids do when they buy 5 year old Lexus cars. Not something an OEM should do to a brand new $80k car. It should have a proper aero bumper.
bmw does it well with the m-sport bumper, mb does it right with the amg bumpers. lexus and the ls460 touring / sport, it's just beyond weird
Old 06-21-11, 06:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

well get it then and let us know how it is? you will never find lexus product as affordable as hyundai.

not really sure about old ls vs new ls... as to the is-f, it is better value than germans if you calculate the equipment.
German cars are good value if you pay $500 above European Delivery invoice. Pain to fly over and pick the car up though.
Old 06-21-11, 06:10 PM
LexFather

There are a growing number of people here tired of all the gotdamn negativity anytime Lexus does something here. There is constructive criticism and there is just endless crapping on Lexus and it really leaves a bad taste.

Look its a special edition, maybe yall forgot Coach editions of the past. That was even less special than this. The LS went from one engine, one size to multiple engine, RWD/AWD, SWB/LWB, Sport, hybrid in ONE GENERATION. Seriously what in the blue moon do yall want? I mean some of you are damning a GS F before it debuts and will do the same for any LS F. This is simply a quick model to do to keep things interesting as the next LS from what I've been told is pushed back so they can spread debuts. I literally am hearing another refresh might come ala IS (and I can see the *****ing coming about that too).

BMW has some chrome tacked on eye-brows on the 7 series and it can be confused with a 5.. The S-class has fender flares from a SUV. The A8 looks like an A4 from 1995. etc etc. They all have their minuses with their pluses.

We are well aware of the tacked on bodykit for the sport, no need to constantly beat a dead horse. Maybe I should post pics of stock diesel Euro D class sedans with 16" wheels to get a sense of objectivity here.

The kindness of CL in being pretty open to opposing opinions to Lexus seems to be taken advantage of by some people. This is still a Lexus forum. Clearly some people like tacked on body kits

Trust me, Lexus is fully aware of their opportunities. Quite frankly the sudden and quick kick in the brands nuts is just what the doctor ordered for them.

Old 06-21-11, 06:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I am not looking for a low price, I am looking for good value. If a $80k GS-F come with the LFA's V10 or a 600hp Twin Turbo V8, I would call that amazing.

as to the is-f, it is better value than germans if you calculate the equipment.
That is true if you only count the MSRP. But Benz/BMW have much deeper available discount then Lexus.
Old 06-21-11, 07:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, new 2012 LFA is such a disappointment. However, I see a lot of really exciting pre-2007 Lexus that you listed in your signature.
Old 06-21-11, 07:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
This looks good

Sadly though, Lexus needs to be considering putting out a new LS, not making different editions of the same car. It's sort of like the RX Coach edition, Thundercloud Edition, Pebble beach, and so on.

The new 7, A8, Xj are out. The new S should be out soon. Where's Lexus with the LS?
The Lexus LS is on a different cycle to those guys. The model has only been out 5 years. These cars tend to be on 7 year cycles.
Old 06-21-11, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW has some chrome tacked on eye-brows on the 7 series and it can be confused with a 5.. The S-class has fender flares from a SUV. The A8 looks like an A4 from 1995. etc etc. They all have their minuses with their pluses.
lol fwiw, isn't that a lot of people here do bash on the cars above on the stuff you mentioned almost every single time? i think it's a pretty fair playground. want me to bring up how everyone reacts about acura when the brand comes up? it never seems to get old

i give lexus credit for trying and putting out different things, that's good. however that doesn't mean everything is great and we should be happy that "they try" and be with it. people should still be critical about each and that's how lexus (or any other companies for that matter) to improve.

i can say it with confidence, until lexus get themselves together again and regain what they are supposed to be good at, similar topics will continue.
Old 06-22-11, 12:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The other thing I don't like is there is no choice of trims on these Sport edition models. I hate the black/saddle interior. Would love to see an LS460 Sport in something like the Oyster/Black trim in the 7 Series.

The LS already has something similar in that interior color from 07-09...its Alabaster/Dark Brown Ash Burl Wood. There's really nothing sporty about those colors.

Quick Reply: PR: Lexus 2011 LS 460 Touring Edition