Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rant: NASCAR - most boring motorsport I've ever seen

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 11:06 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jypMGm80Qfs
Old 06-17-11, 11:12 PM
05EX
Pole Position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnDY3JjYBp0
Old 06-17-11, 11:37 PM
05EX
Pole Position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo0YYpVysXY
though i can agree with some of the OP's statements. These guys race non aero cars that are very limited to tech the forula one and many othe racing sanctions enjoy. Most of the time these guys esp towards the end of the race are overdriving there cars at 10 or 11/10ths there limited by grip and downforce and are literally driving by the seats of there **** with no electronic aids or doo dads. Now I admit if i watch a race i can get bored at times. But these guys work there **** off hustling these 3500 or 3600 lb cars around a track in in car temps of well over a hundred degrees mere inches away from each other. Would i like to see more road tracks, yes i would. But If you watched speed lately you will see that Tony Stewart didnt do to bad in a Mclaren F1 car this past week and he drives Nascar and he was no slouch.
Old 06-18-11, 02:17 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to strongly disagree. There is NOTHING boring about being inches away from someone's bumper at almost 200 MPH (on the super-high-speed tracks like Daytona), buffeting and drafting in wind turbulence, or running through the banks/turns at 3 or even 4 abreast, where even one small tap (as Tony Stewart has shown so many times) could mean a spin-out leading to a crash involving literally dozens of cars. If you think I'm kidding, try it yourself sometime. Driving on NASCAR tracks (and even watching it) has to be one of the most hair-raising experiences in motorsports. That's one reason why it is so popular in America.
I do understand and respect your opinion. However, I would have to humbly disagree as well.

It just gets frustrating to hear the idiocy of comments like "NASCAR as the pinnacle of automobile racing", "best motorsport in America" and "30,000+ combined horsepower bla bla bla".

Pinnacle of automobile racing my ***. Them rednecks and hillbillies just have no sense of taste

There's more to racing than seeing cars going around oval tracks over and over again. Heh, if those NASCAR drivers think they're superb drivers, then why don't they prove it on "REAL" racing tracks with actual technical turns and corners like Suzuka's 130R or Istanbul Circuit Turn # 8 or the La Rascasse and the Nouvelle Chicane at Monaco.

I agree with I8ABMR on this. If all you're doing is just making left turns and rely on slipstream all that time, then I can't fathom why some people label NASCAR as the pinnacle of automobile racing

P.S.
On a funny note though:

They say there is only one strategy to win in NASCAR: "Just drive fast"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O37IObEyMM[/youtube]

Last edited by Blackraven; 06-18-11 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-18-11, 09:09 PM
jimmyz330
Driver School Candidate

You would have to go to a race to really see it up close to appriciate it, also it was better in the Old days when a chevy looked chevy a ford a ford a dodge a dodge etc...AND the manufacturers HAD to make at least 500 of them for sale to the public. Now they all look the same to me fake headlights fiberglass bodies etc.. those old dudes were hard core man! and people really pulled for their favorite brand AND driver

Last edited by jimmyz330; 06-18-11 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-18-11, 10:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

A lot of car enthusiast/racing snobs tend to dismiss NASCAR as just dumb rednecks watching dumb rednecks going in a circle but that is not the case if you actually have paid attention to NASCAR and even follow other racing venues. It is just a different type of racing and does not deserve to be scoffed at by people who don't know much about. There is much more to stock car racing then just driving in a circle especially when you have so many cars that close to each other going so fast and when there are so many crashes in a race. While I don't find the more current cars that interesting the drivers and rivalries and close racing/crashes is what has made NASCAR so popular. It is not just popular with rednecks either, most educated white collar people from the suburbs I work with, know, or have known follow NASCAR to some degree. Many businesses/companies in the US sponsor or are involved with NASCAR which is one of the reasons it is so popular around the country.

The beginning/history of NASCAR is pretty interesting in that it mainly started from moonshiners who would modify stock cars to evade the police and get the moonshine to where it needed to go quickly, afterwards exhibition races between those cars started becoming more popular in the south and it took off from there. The footage Donnie Allison and Cale Yarborough battling, taking each other out and crashing then fighting in the late 70's made NASCAR much more popular. The rivalries in the 80's and 90's between Dale Earnhardt, Rusty Wallace, Bill Elliot,Richard Petty, etc were legendary. Jeff Gordon's rise and domination in the 90's also drew huge crowds to NASCAR.

Even though I like watching F1, Lemans, GT, and others and find the cars much more interesting that racing tends to get boring to me after a while especially when the cars are so far apart and hardly ever pass/crash. Many open wheel drivers try to get into and go into NASCAR because that is where the popularity/money is. F1 drivers like Juan Pablo Montoya, Patrick Carpentier, and Dario Franchitti have gone into NASCAR, Danica Patrick has expressed interest in NASCAR. Indy Car racing is predominately on oval tracks too, the Indy 500 is on a oval track so it is not just NASCAR that goes around in a circle.

Watching a NASCAR race in full surround stereo on a HDtv is pretty exciting, going to a race is even more exciting. If you pick a driver you like, follow them a little, and root for them most will start to enjoy NASCAR to some degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eHrV...eature=related

The last few laps of a NASCAR race are not close to be boring, they are some of the most exciting/thrilling moments in any kind of racing period.

Last edited by UDel; 06-18-11 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-18-11, 11:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
LOL so many ignorant statements. I'm betting most that have nothing good to say about NASCAR has ever been to a real race. NASCAR is not my all-time favorite racing circuit, but I do respect the skills and talent it takes to keep the team running. Its more than just left turn racing...its a cognitive endurance run at 180+ mph. Its a lot harder than it looks. There's a reason why a lot of open wheel race car drivers made the transition including former F1 driver Juan Pablo Montoya. Money.
LOL. I live in Phoenix. I have been to a NASCAR race. Some of us do make statements after actually going to a race. Cool to hear the engines roar but it got boring pretty quickly
Old 06-19-11, 01:37 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 423 Likes on 347 Posts

I always liked NASCAR, but then again, I rarely watch it for more than ten minutes at a time. I did like that NASCAR cartoon from ten years ago if that counts. If it were like the cartoon was, it would be a lot more fun.
Old 06-19-11, 05:40 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I do understand and respect your opinion. However, I would have to humbly disagree as well.

It just gets frustrating to hear the idiocy of comments like "NASCAR as the pinnacle of automobile racing", "best motorsport in America" and "30,000+ combined horsepower bla bla bla".

Pinnacle of automobile racing my ***. Them rednecks and hillbillies just have no sense of taste

There's more to racing than seeing cars going around oval tracks over and over again. Heh, if those NASCAR drivers think they're superb drivers, then why don't they prove it on "REAL" racing tracks with actual technical turns and corners like Suzuka's 130R or Istanbul Circuit Turn # 8 or the La Rascasse and the Nouvelle Chicane at Monaco.

I agree with I8ABMR on this. If all you're doing is just making left turns and rely on slipstream all that time, then I can't fathom why some people label NASCAR as the pinnacle of automobile racing
Oh you want to see NASCAR at Suzuka ?? Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA17e...eature=related

Oh and the guy in the blue #1 car is "KT" Kinici Tsychica, the drift king !!

Look if You prefer F1 and other motorsports, I totally understand that , and if I was in charge of NASCAR, there would be alot of road courses like Laguna Seca, Indy F1 course, street courses etc..

Again I am not asking you to be a fan, but to take back "Most boring Motorsport ever", quote (did you watch any of the posted videos ?) or at least concede it is not boring on proper road courses. Here are some examples and as you can see these drivers have talent..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Ozjkr9yCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRWj248s93E
Old 06-20-11, 07:13 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I've heard of those as well.......but unfortunately, those are exhibition races. If they held those races permanently, then they I believe that would change people's negative perceptions of NASCAR.

I mean take a look at Indycar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_IndyCar_Series_season

10 out of 17 races are held on road courses and street circuits (or any track/circuit/course with technical turns). Only 7 are held on boring oval tracks.

Btw, it was supposed to be 9 but they made it 10 when the Honda/Mobilityland Corporation decided to use the road course instead of the oval track at Twin Ring Motegi motorsports complex due to the 2011 tsunami.

In fact, they should just stick with the road course for the only Indycar race outside America.

Anyways point being, the only way I see myself enjoying NASCAR would be on road courses...........which in the case of NASCAR Sprint Cup, there are only two (Infineon Raceway in California and Watkins Glen circuit in New York).

So yeah, out of 30+ races, I would only find two races interesting........while the rest are redundant oval track boredom.

A start........but definitely not good enough IMHO
Old 06-20-11, 11:06 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know that Ferrari arcade game that has actual stick shift and clutch pedal? It gauges pretty well how hard it is to drive a car 150+ mph in a easy looking oval. Although I agree NASCAR gets repetitive real fast, it DOES take skill and technique to not spin out and to not crash into anyone else who is a mere inches from you.

Old 06-21-11, 12:07 AM
Boyracer40
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MelF1fan
In terms of money and earning power in American racing series, Nascar is the top of the heap. More so than Indy Car currently and any other American racing series.

I don't know what the average or bottom feeder Nascar driver makes but at the top they pale in comparison to the top guys. In any given year on say Forbes top paid atheletes, an F1 driver can be regularly found in the top 10. Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso are current examples. Though a bottom team F1 driver may make a couple million a year salary.

Again, it is underestimated the talent both Nascar drivers and teams/crew chiefs need to be competitive let alone winners. Seems like driving at top speed through a never ending high speed corner at the edge of the tires grip while keeping consisten lap times.
I'm pretty sure the F1 drivers earnings in Forbes are based off what they make in salary plus endorsements. What a lot of Americans don't realize is that F1 drivers around the globe are famous on the level of what Michael Jordan was here, and the endorsement money is big for the top F1 guys.
Old 06-21-11, 12:49 AM
Boyracer40
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blackraven

P.S.
On a funny note though:

They say there is only one strategy to win in NASCAR: "Just drive fast"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O37IObEyMM[/youtube]
here's the thing, tho.

juan pablo Montoya - CART champion, F3000 Champ, winner of the 24 hours of Daytona, Indy 500 and one of the top 50 F1 drivers of all time.

Pretty accomplished, right?

Since 2007 his average finish in NASCAR has been 19th and he has only 2 wins in his career.

if we were to employ your logic, then why can't Juan Pablo beat Jimmy Johnson.

Don't get me wrong, i love F1, Rolex, and American LeMans, but the NASCAR drivers are world class, and not every driver can do what they do.

There's a lot more skill to oval racing than you think.