Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think women are attracted to what men drive?
Definitely yes!
62.07%
Not really.
37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 05:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bummer. I drive a sports car but it seems to attract and get more attention from teenage boys/younger men than women.
Old 06-17-11, 05:32 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Bummer. I drive a sports car but it seems to attract and get more attention from teenage boys/younger men than women.
... and Cops. ha ha
I think guys buy cars for their own gratification and the fun they can have with them but if female attention comes as an added benefit there's no complaints there. I've been flashed by a group of drunk women (bachelorette party) who were in a limo while I had the top off in the Vette. Definitely enjoyed that one. ha ha
Old 06-17-11, 06:13 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
women are attracted to security. In todays society money is what gives us financial security , therefore the car will attract women. Its not the power and speed as much as the price I would think.

If you think of it from a animal behavior perspective its pretty clear. The same applies to your home. Also a good job ( Dr, lawyer, business, etc)
Based on my personal experience I'd say this is spot on. None of the sports cars that I've owned attracted as much attention from women as my Benz did. I've also gotten a lot of attention from bank tellers over the years. I'm happily married so I never pursued any of them, but these women did not strike me as shallow. I think it was just an initial attraction, no different from when a guy sees a girl with pretty face and a great body.
Old 06-17-11, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study
My opinion may be in the minority here, but I don't buy that theory, for several reasons. First, sex is not necessarily (or not always) a part of dating, and vice-versa....many people, especially social-conservatives, date without having sex. Second, many women aren't that interested in sports cars.....or, at least, what most of us here on CAR CHAT would call sports cars....they like more practical vehicles, especially if they have kids. Third, many of the women who are sports-car fans don't have to be picked up by a man to ride in one.....they often have sports cars of their own, especially lower-priced ones. I often see women, for example, driving Miatas, although its widely-touted image of being a "Chick Car", like most other automotive stereotypes, is overdone.....a fair number of men drive Miatas, too.
Old 06-17-11, 11:44 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GS wanted
I think guys buy cars for their own gratification and the fun they can have with them but if female attention comes as an added benefit there's no complaints there. I've been flashed by a group of drunk women (bachelorette party) who were in a limo while I had the top off in the Vette. Definitely enjoyed that one. ha ha
The perks with ownership! Gotta love it!
Old 06-18-11, 11:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I figured a car like the 7 series BMW or Lexus LS would be a mark of manhood. It's worlds above a Civic and it's rare to see a kid driving one of these.
you haven't seen the price of these luxobarge plummet?
they're cheaper than new civics

all these kids who are getting are throwing all kinds of cheap crap mods on them.
Plus, you can't tell if these things have over 100k miles anyways.

Originally Posted by Kira X
A minivan could be a sign of manhood. It means you had to give up your dream car and get a minivan to haul your kids around.
I guess I still have my manhood. I have a minivan (a sporty one I should add) and a sports car

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
yeah, we're driving the wrong one Chris

Originally Posted by MissLexus
I was totally going to start a thread similar to this in the club house forum! Being a woman I can tell you first hand that having a nice car is definitely attractive. Even more so for a car enthusiast like myself! One of the things that really bothers me is when a guy doesnt take care of his car. It doesnt have to be a flashy sports car or something expensive, at least take care of it and keep it clean! I had an ex that had a very expensive car and it was just trashed. It had junk mail, food wrappers and empty bottles (water and soda not alcohol lol) and dirt all over the carpets etc. It was a total turn off! I think it is a major reflection on someones overall cleanliness and lifestyle...

thats my 2 cents :-)
That's so true. To me, they way you keep/ maintain your car is a reflection of your habit/cleaniliness.
Somehow, I see it worst when the females driving beaters and trashing it

Originally Posted by rominl
regarding to this topic though, very interesting. i do think women in general are attracted to nice cars. i mean, come on, i don't care if it's men or women, i rather get in a nice new clean car, rather than a old, rough running, rusted car with stained seats. it's just nature for everyone.
unless that guy is putting a front (highly doubt it), you know, one of those test to see if his date is a shallow female

yeah, that old rusted beat up cars does simply generally say you're an unambitious slob. If anyone can find that attractive, then your standard is waaaaaay too low
Old 06-18-11, 12:17 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as Dave Chappelle said, "Gotcha *****!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8vZ...eature=related
Old 06-19-11, 12:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
you haven't seen the price of these luxobarge plummet?
they're cheaper than new civics

all these kids who are getting are throwing all kinds of cheap crap mods on them.
Plus, you can't tell if these things have over 100k miles anyways.

I guess I still have my manhood. I have a minivan (a sporty one I should add) and a sports car

That's so true. To me, they way you keep/ maintain your car is a reflection of your habit/cleaniliness.
Somehow, I see it worst when the females driving beaters and trashing it
That's very true about them being cheaper than Civics. I've seen nice Lexus', Mercedes', and BMW's go for less than the price of a new Civic. It's the reason I got a Lexus.

That's good that you kept a sports car and got a minivan. You get the best of both worlds.

The way you maintain a car is pretty important. I see a lot of people with nice cars, but they don't take care of it. It's even worse with girls because everyone I meet doesn't take care of their car no matter how nice it is. It's a shame because they expect guys to have nice cars, yet they drive beat up pieces of junk.
Old 06-19-11, 02:53 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

"Sports cars will get you through times without women better than women will get you through times without sports cars."
Old 06-19-11, 03:18 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

If guys buy nice cars to attract women, it's all the fault of women anyway.

See, e.g., "The Science of Sex Appeal" generally, but also specifically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoKA-a5vEEc

Last edited by gengar; 06-19-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-19-11, 05:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

What if you really just like cars? I dont know one girl who would be interested in the 1980's porsches and triumph convertibles that i am haha
Old 06-19-11, 06:13 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

It took a study to figure this out?
Old 06-19-11, 09:08 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

A nice car is always a plus, and a rotting old econobox is usually a minus.

But any decent car that is clean and well cared for is a sign of a responsible person. That kind of person would generally find reasonable attraction from the opposite sex. It isn't just women being attracted to men; if I met a young female to find her late-model Lexus looking like an unsupervised 5-year-old's bedroom, it would be a major turn-off.
Old 06-19-11, 09:15 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Well, somebody got a government grant, I'm sure. They write them every day for the studies of such esoterica as cow flatulence and its contribution to global warming.
Old 06-19-11, 09:41 PM
Roid Rage
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
ditto. It's like it takes a study to find out that the sky is blue

Quick Reply: Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study