Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think women are attracted to what men drive?
Definitely yes!
62.07%
Not really.
37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 12:19 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Pretty sure most people who will reply to this thread will be anecdotal evidence.

I hope you're not buying a car to impress women because I think most women who are impressed by a fancy car will likely not be into you for you.
and that's the moral of the story...

if she's interested in my car, she better be able to give me a good history on it (the model/brand) as well as how she's able to turn a wrench or two. her just saying, "you have a nice car" or "I like your ride" is only going to get a thank you from myself and i'm keeping it moving.
Old 11-29-12, 12:50 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In college, one summer my roommate left his Austin-Healey 100 with me while he went back to the East Coast.

Great car for picking up girls, but I quickly learned they were good for only one date. After that, it was "Why don't you drive your car (an ancient 2-door 1952 Dodge)?" While classic English roadsters look great and are a lot of fun, they aren't comfortable. If she wasn't an enthusiast, the glitter of a "sports car" wore off quickly amid the noise, clatter, pounding of your backside, and exposure to the elements. Entry and exit were never graceful, so showing up with this in the valet line wasn't going to make you popular with your lady. If it rained, forget it. Constructing the top framework and stretching the canvas over it, then mounting the sidecurtains was as easy and as erecting a pup tent in a hurricane.

Two cars that got the most attention were that Dodge after I did a complete restoration on it, that always amazed people because it looked NEW. The other was my first GIANT 3/4-ton, fire-engine red, 4X4 Suburban that made women swoon and strong men weep with envy. About two years later the SUV craze kicked in. I like to think I had something to do with that.

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-29-12 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 08:24 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
A minivan could be a sign of manhood. It means you had to give up your dream car and get a minivan to haul your kids around.
Agreed! A minivan embodies the ultimate sign of a dating success. A woman found the guy desirable enough to have his children.
Old 11-30-12, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
In college, one summer my roommate left his Austin-Healey 100 with me while he went back to the East Coast.

Great car for picking up girls, but I quickly learned they were good for only one date.
Not only that, but it would be quite embarassing, on that date, if the hoses/seals burst and sprayed fluid out all over the place, or the Lucas electrical system decided to short out or fry, as old British sports-cars were notorious for. Or, even if the car did
hold together in one piece, having a red-face from from constantly grinding the gears from lack of synchros until you mastered the art of heel/toe or double-clutching.
Old 12-06-12, 12:50 PM
Hulk311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted "No". Driving a sports car you are far more likely to attract the cops and teenage boys than women.
Old 12-06-12, 12:51 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

so if i drive a Lexus does that mean I tend to attract old people?
Old 12-06-12, 01:24 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got more women when I drove a Nissan Sentra than any other guy I know. Maybe cars help some guys but women still, and always will like men who behave like men. Confident and strong. The female psyche is programmed to be attracted to provider/protector type guys. After that there are other characteristics that can seal the deal, in this order:
Good hygiene
Grooming
Good sex
Looks

A woman who is with you because of your car is not the type to be with, short or long term. Unless you are just using her....and we good guys never do that.
Old 12-06-12, 01:56 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X

Your Suburban is/was a pretty sweet ride. +1!
Old 12-06-12, 07:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Men drive sport cars for attention plain and simple. Attracting women is just sometimes one of the benefits
Old 12-06-12, 08:28 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Men drive sport cars for attention plain and simple. Attracting women is just sometimes one of the benefits
I drive sport cars, but I have a very cold corolla I will use when on dates and such. I actually dislike attention, it is why my main car is the IS350 which is understated in Socal. But I drive a sports car to take to the track.... I doubt I would have fun tracking a corolla.
Old 12-06-12, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not me....
Old 12-06-12, 09:54 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

I believe this to be true for the majority of men. I believe that manufacturers design their cars to attract folks. Sports cars attract women because they were designed for that purpose. Kind of like cologne.
Old 12-06-12, 10:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Can't believe we're five pages in and haven't mentioned the pickup truck. In the south, southwest, midwest, more rural areas, girls go nuts for a man with a nice truck.

When I say nice, it doesn't have to be anything real flashy. Granted big lifted diesel trucks show you've got $$$$, but just a nice, clean 1/2 ton will get you all kinds of attention with the right crowd. Now women are smart and can tell if its the "white work truck" or a beat to hell construction truck though. 2wd Tacomas(4wd and prerunners that sit up high are cool), any sort of Ranger, Chevy Colorado, or S10 shows that you're a major cheapskate or broke.
Old 12-06-12, 11:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
I drive sport cars, but I have a very cold corolla I will use when on dates and such. I actually dislike attention, it is why my main car is the IS350 which is understated in Socal. But I drive a sports car to take to the track.... I doubt I would have fun tracking a corolla.
Nothing gets a lady hotter than a cold corolla
Old 12-07-12, 07:11 AM
LexFather

Nothing gets a lady hotter than a cold corolla
lmfao...

"girl, did you hear, Hoovey sold his IS and got a new cold corolla....I think I'm going to give me my number"

Quick Reply: Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study