Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think women are attracted to what men drive?
Definitely yes!
62.07%
Not really.
37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Men drive sport cars for attention plain and simple. Attracting women is just sometimes one of the benefits
I think that's an oversimplification. Some guys just like the way sports cars drive. They want power, handling, agility, and braking, and don't mind the stiff ride, noise, cramped interiors, lack of cargo-space, and general level of unrefinement that a lot of sports cars bring. Me (women or not), I'd rather have something that drives with some comfort.
Old 12-07-12, 09:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Well we can make excuses all we want sure, and although I'd believe your reasons (modesty, actual love for cars - not trying to flaunt it, love for driving yada yada), when it comes to the psychology of our subconscious, our primal instinct to show off and attract a mate is hardwired into us. It's like trying to escape a nuclear explosion with only a few minutes warning - you can't.
Old 12-07-12, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well we can make excuses all we want sure, and although I'd believe your reasons (modesty, actual love for cars - not trying to flaunt it, love for driving yada yada), when it comes to the psychology of our subconscious, our primal instinct to show off and attract a mate is hardwired into us. It's like trying to escape a nuclear explosion with only a few minutes warning - you can't.
Guys in high school and college, if they want to attract a pretty girl, are probably better off being on the school's football team (especially the first-string team) than driving a sports or high-powered-car. Football, in today's America, has become like idolatry (yes, even more-so than CAR-CHAT and cars). People go nuts over it.
Old 12-07-12, 10:01 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using a sports car to attract girls in my opinion at least is like trying to display wealth. I personally dislike doing so. When I just began college, I went to the bank to open up a new c/d account. The banker was extremely physically attractive, but what killed it was her seeing my bank accounts and asking "Is this all your money" and kept asking questions like if I was single blah blah, she even stalled and got me to open a new account, which I did not mind. Afterwards she even walked me out to my car (she wanted to see what I drove I suppose) and she handed me her business card with her personal cell number on the back. Needless to say, I did not think twice and just threw it out.
Old 12-07-12, 10:13 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

I should have my notepad out and be taking notes... how else does one go about attracting females...
Old 12-07-12, 10:51 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT !? I thought getting a sports car is for making up for the small ***** size...
Damn I got my sports car for the wrong reason.
Old 12-07-12, 10:52 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Driving for pleasure isn't what it used to be, considering the long straight slabs of concrete that are our freeways and Interstates and the traffic congestion that makes any kind of "spirited" driving extremely dangerous. If somewhere near you there is a winding country road through beautiful scenery with little traffic on a Saturday, one where you can open the windows and drop the top for a morning's romp with apexes and off-camber corners through patches of dappled shade, then you are most fortunate.

This is where you take your "impractical" weekend car, a vintage Morgan, Healey, or Alfa out for a stretch - if no more than to remind you why you fell in love with "motoring" in the first place. It's not for the faint of heart - it can leave you stranded among driblets of oil and a rising steam cloud, but it's worth it.

The rising and falling wail of the exhaust echoes off the canyon walls, snapping and burbling on the overrun, the clatter of the valvetrain and the faint scent of Castrol blends with the damp morning air. It's not about speed - it's about sensations you'd never experience in a new Ferrari or McLaren that have been bred for ultimate performance rather than the experience of motoring. Real sensory inputs - manual steering, brakes, and a slightly notchy shifter take you far from the bumper to bumper crawl you execute every weekday in your leather-lined luxobarge cocoon that plays Mozart rather than Borla. Me, I'm all for commuting in my cocoon during the week, but let me out on the weekends to DRIVE.
Old 12-07-12, 04:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
WHAT !? I thought getting a sports car is for making up for the small ***** size...
Damn I got my sports car for the wrong reason.
You're thinking of big full ton pick ups with lifts and duallies
Old 12-07-12, 07:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Guys in high school and college, if they want to attract a pretty girl, are probably better off being on the school's football team (especially the first-string team) than driving a sports or high-powered-car. Football, in today's America, has become like idolatry (yes, even more-so than CAR-CHAT and cars). People go nuts over it.
Completely agree. Football, then basketball players will get more attention from girls than a nobody with a nice car.
Having a car will garner some attention though.
Having a hot car willget a little more.
Girls will always take a look at a guy who can spend some cash on them....thats what having the car signifies. I'll bet if the guy is shallow, the girls won't last. Substance always wins out.

At my collge, remember there were standards or levels.
If you could buy a girl something to eat, you could pull an average to below average looking girl.
If you could buy something to eat and take her there you got an average to slightly above average looking girl.
If you had the car, the money and were popular you definitely got above average looking girls, maybe even a hot girl.
Football players got good looking girls..with the starters getting hot girs.

Last edited by Ice350; 12-07-12 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 10:28 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my sports car attracts more attention from younger males than any girl or woman, and I know I'm not gay, so I don't drive a sports car to attract any women. In fact, I try to hide the fact I have a nice sports car when I meet a new date. I usually take out my beater Camry.
Old 12-08-12, 10:24 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
Completely agree. Football, then basketball players will get more attention from girls than a nobody with a nice car.
Having a car will garner some attention though.
Having a hot car willget a little more.
Girls will always take a look at a guy who can spend some cash on them....thats what having the car signifies. I'll bet if the guy is shallow, the girls won't last. Substance always wins out.

At my collge, remember there were standards or levels.
If you could buy a girl something to eat, you could pull an average to below average looking girl.
If you could buy something to eat and take her there you got an average to slightly above average looking girl.
If you had the car, the money and were popular you definitely got above average looking girls, maybe even a hot girl.
Football players got good looking girls..with the starters getting hot girs.

I think it comes down to physical looks first beyond anything else, especially at a juvenville age. Then it comes down to reputation, sports, image, etc. I was never in sports, but girls, especially back in high school were all over me. I was told I could model and it did help also that I had a reputation as a highschool badass (do not know how that came to be). In fact I never had to try one bit, girls would ask me out or ask me to go out with her friend Even girls from other highschools I did not know had crushes on me. Girls said I pretty much could have had any girl I wanted. My friends even got annoyed about it . Many of my ex-girl friends were models or become models part-time. Well my point is sports or nice cars and such is not the only key to hot girls back in highschool.
Old 12-08-12, 11:03 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that's an oversimplification. Some guys just like the way sports cars drive. They want power, handling, agility, and braking, and don't mind the stiff ride, noise, cramped interiors, lack of cargo-space, and general level of unrefinement that a lot of sports cars bring. Me (women or not), I'd rather have something that drives with some comfort.
I agree! I didn't buy my sports car to attract women. I just want something sporty and fun to drive. If I ever was to go out on a date, I'd drive my Yaris or truck.
Old 12-08-12, 11:12 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can think of 2 sides to the issue.

The women attracted to the sports cars are usually shallow or trashy gold diggers, not the kind of women you want to be with for the long haul.

and a douchebag in a sports car is still a douchebag.
Old 12-08-12, 11:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

hmm, attract women? Maybe 15 years ago... now maybe it shows that you are (possibly) successful but thats about it.