Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Dodge Journey

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 09:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
On a side note, the belt was Excluded from my Chrysler Max-Care Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Normal maintenance items are not (and usually arent on any warranty) covered unless they need replacement due to a covered part that failed (For example, the waterpump or fan clutch goes and takes the belt with it, then the belt would be covered). Thats not unreasonable, I dont expect things like belts/spark plugs/brake pads to be covered under warranties.
Yes, some manufacturers (most, in fact), consider belts to be normal-wear items, and don't cover them under warranty. A few companies, however (I don't remember exactly which ones) go ahead and cover them anyway.
Old 06-21-11, 06:22 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Chrysler quality appears to be looking up:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...yslers-improve
Old 06-21-11, 06:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@mmarshall

What is the difference between this and the Grand Cherokee version of Chrysler?

Does this also have a sport/performance version (like the SRT8 variant of the GC???)

Thanks
Old 06-21-11, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@mmarshall

Does this also have a sport/performance version (like the SRT8 variant of the GC???)

Thanks
Chrysler? You mean Jeep?

As far as I know, the Journey and JGC both come from the same platform, but the Journey's upcoming R/T will use the same 3.6L V6 as the other versions, while the JGC offers the V6 and both the 5.7L and 6.4L V8s. The Journey R/T, however, will come with performance-oriented wheels/tires/suspension. One big difference, of course, between the Journey and the JGC is that Jeep doesn't recommend towing or any off-road use for the SRT-8...it's essentially a pavement-burner. The Journey has some mild off-road capability, but, being car-based, it is not a serious off-roader like the Jeep Wrangler. As nice as the Journey's new interior is, I also much-prefer the JGC's new cabin, mainly because of the rich-looking wood tone trim that the Journey lacks.

Dodge, some years ago in 1999, offered a Shelby version of the Durango, but there doesn't seem to be any similiar plans in the works (as of now) for the Journey.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-21-11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One interesting question is why Dodge continues to sell the (IMO) awkward-looking, unimpressive Nitro next to the newer Journey. For several reasons, I've always had a low opinion of the Nitro, but, even going over and above my own personal feelings, in a practical sense, I can't see why the Nitro should even stay on the market. The Journey is about the same size, and is a much nicer vehicle for day-to-day use.
Old 06-21-11, 07:58 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@mmarshall

Thanks
The Dodge Journey and Jeep Grand Cherokee are not related. I believe the Journey rides on a FWD/AWD (car) platform.

The new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee inherits its RWD platform from when Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) owned Chrysler. It shares its platform with the new 2011 Dodge Durango AND the next-generation (2012) Mercedes Benz M-Class (e.g. ML 350) SUV.