Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 12:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side

I saw this and wanted to post because its very important and its good info. In fact I always tell my own patients that when they develop cataracts ( we are all going to get them) we get them in the left eye first because we drive on the left side of the car. All of the years of the added UV exposure to that side of your face causes the cataracts to develop faster in the left eye. Also skin cancer studies I have read in the past usually show a prevalence of melanomas on the left arm, left cheek, and even the left side of the nose. Just good info to have

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/18/d...larly-on-your/

When the weather's right, it feels great to turn off the A/C, roll down the window and just go for a ride. But while the wind feels great, the sun may be killing you. USA Today reports that U.S. drivers are more prone to the potentially deadly melanoma and merkel cell carcinoma skin cancers on the left side of their bodies. The window American drivers hang their arms out of on those great driving days? Also the left side.

The study, conducted by the University of Washington and published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, shows that 55 percent of upper arm skin cancers, 52 percent of U.S. melanoma cases, and 53 percent of merkel cell carcinomas surface on the left side of the body. The driving connection is given further credence thanks to a 1986 study from Australia that showed the majority of male skin cancers surface on the right side of the body. Australian vehicles are right-hand drive.

While the study suggests that driving with the window down can potentially increase your risk of skin cancer (as is the case with any prolonged sun exposure, for that matter), we do know that rolling the window up provides some protection. Vehicle windows block most UVB rays, which helps mitigate sun exposure. That's good to know, but keeping the windows up 365 days a year is an unreasonable expectation. The open-air experience is part of what makes the freedom of driving so rewarding. Might not be a bad idea to keep a tube of sunscreen handy for those sunny, windows-down days, though.
Attached Thumbnails Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side-arm-out-window.jpg  
Old 06-18-11, 12:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Thats why I have a good quality window tint on my Lexus.
Old 06-18-11, 12:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Please wear your sunglasses as well. When we hear our parents tell us that they dont like driving at night is usually because of the development of early cataracts that creates increased night time glare and loss of depth perception. Added UV can also increase your chances of macular degeneration (one of the leading causes of blindness in the US). Also remember that if you have blue eyes your eyes are like the red headed kid with the light skin, except instead of getting wrinkles and freckles you go blind
Old 06-18-11, 12:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yup...got my Oakley Polarized Gas cans too!
Old 06-18-11, 12:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Yup, doesn't surprise me. Have had UV filtering tint on the cars. Eye doc had long suggested wearing sunglasses as well so I took heed. Derm has also said wear sunscreen so we do. Sadly, I didn't in my early days so the cumulative exposure has given me freckles and other age type spots. I've had a few scrapings along the way as well.

+1 for supporting a stateside business like Oakley.
Old 06-18-11, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Usually, though, with a hard-top, or a convertible with the top up, the roof keeps the sun directly out of your eyes, unless you are on the road facing the sun in the early morning, late-afternoon/evening, or at high latitudes where the sun is low in the sky all the time. Of course, driving in a low-sun, or Al-Fresco with the top down, may be a different story...then you may want to take precautions.
Old 06-18-11, 05:54 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray Bans and a nice light tint keep me protected.
Old 06-18-11, 05:56 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

So basically, they've taken the idea that harmful UV radiation from the sun can cause skin cancer (a fact that we've known about for a long time already), applied to a driving scenario, and called it a significant medical discovery?

Next they're going to release an article on what?... the correlation between melanoma and other skin cancers with playing sports out in the sun?

This is about as useful a finding as the breakthrough correlation between fast food intake and obesity...
Old 06-18-11, 05:59 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It has to be really overcast or rainy for me to take off my sunglasses when driving during the day. As for window-down driving, I can count the annual days on probably two hands now that we don't have a vert or t-top car.
Old 06-18-11, 08:58 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@I8ABMR

And it is the exact opposite for drivers of RIGHT HAND DRIVE vehicles where their right eye will be first affected. Correct?

Anyways, yeah I guess what my mom said of me to wear sunglasses when in the car during the daytime with hot sun. Guess she was right after all.

I'll definitely keep this in mind.
Old 06-18-11, 09:09 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So I guess the daily convertible owners are pretty much screwed?? Haha
Old 06-19-11, 02:54 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts

This is why I keep tint on all of my cars. I need to get a pair of Oakleys soon.
Old 06-19-11, 07:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Interesting....so Doc, my contacts have UV protection. Am I less likely to get cataracts?
Old 06-19-11, 07:44 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Sounds to me like a lot of people are missing out on the opportunity to have their legislators review the study and possibly remove some of the inane anti tint laws that are on the books. Those who live in states with no front tint allowed, this is your chance! I'm surprised the tint businesses aren't up in arms (no pun intended) about their medical necessity...

And SLegacy, if your contacts have UV protection, you are reducing the risk, but you are still somewhat at risk if they have no tint to them. Keep in mind that there are also varying degrees of "protection."

Big Mack
Old 06-20-11, 09:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

good info

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

When the weather's right, it feels great to turn off the A/C, roll down the window and just go for a ride. But while the wind feels great, the sun may be killing you. USA Today reports that U.S. drivers are more prone to the potentially deadly melanoma and merkel cell carcinoma skin cancers on the left side of their bodies. The window American drivers hang their arms out of on those great driving days? Also the left side.
so these ladies knew what they're doing all these time

I need to find one where this lady totally covered her left window with a blanket

interesting, here's a RHD, but with the top down:

Quick Reply: Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side