Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What was the MOST UNRELIABLE auto you ever owned!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 07:18 PM
emory2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, a brand new 1998 Mitsubishi Galant. As I drove it off the dealer lot, the dome light fell out of the ceiling. That was just the first of countless problems. I traded it in 18 months later.
Old 09-20-13, 09:33 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

a duo of 95 Eclipses, one NA the other NA-T. The NA-T I could never get to run right...constant fuel, electrical and ECU issues. The NA tried to kill me at every opportunity...leaking fuel tank gasket that filled the cabin with fumes, rear wheel hub that locked up and sheared off on the highway, multiple broken LCA's - the last of which happened at superlegal speeds, broken axle stranding me in a prison town for 2 days, randomly broken wheel studs, clutch master cylinder went out on a whim, hood latch broke on the highway resulting in a smashed windshield and sunroof, and I ended up looking like I played full contact football with a cactus, constantly having to get it aligned as the toe would go out of whack randomly, outer door handles constantly broke simultaneously(thank goodness for a hatch)...and much much more. Although, I must say that when they were actually working they were some of the most fun vehicles that I have owned.
Old 09-21-13, 05:46 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
my 03 mazda6.. 108K miles, 1 owner: broken motor mounts, busted front wheel bearing, torn CV boots, blown shocks, falling headliner, clutch @ 60K, broken CD changer
I have the same problems with my 2009 Mazda 6, except for the CD changer, the dealer has had to replace the engine mounts, catalytic converter, exhaust gaskets, oxygen sensors, air filter, fuel injextors needed to be cleaned, the radiator needed to be replaced as the transmission fluid is also cooled by the radiator and some core broke inside the radiator and transmission fluid was mixing with coolant , genius design the sunshade on the passenger side is not going up all the way, the passenger door actuator needs to be replaced still. Its the biggest POS japanese made car I have ever owned. My car is a Japanese made model the Atenza sport 2.5. as im living in Dubai, Never again will I buy a MAZDA.
Old 09-21-13, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by emory2001
OMG, a brand new 1998 Mitsubishi Galant. As I drove it off the dealer lot, the dome light fell out of the ceiling. That was just the first of countless problems. I traded it in 18 months later.
Originally Posted by Harbinger
a duo of 95 Eclipses,
Not surprising. 90's vintage Mitsus, from that awful Diamond-Star plant at Normal, IL, were notorious for poor build quality. That plant suffered from all kinds of problems, and was the subject of a number of suits, even including sexual harassment and racial-discrimination.

Speaking of '95 Elipses, on a brand-new one I looked at in the showroom (I still remember it well), not only did it have a number of loose/poorly-attached parts, but it looked like the paint room at the plant was full of dirt when they painted it...they just painted right over burrs and debris-particles. The Plymouth Laser and Eagle Talon, essentially the same car, was also produced at that plant.

Most manufacturers, of course, clean and A/C their paint-rooms almost to hospital standards.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-13 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-21-13, 02:19 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All my cars have been pretty solid(I do my research before I buy, typically).

The one that annoyed me the most was my 2002 MaximaSE. That thing went through oil, like I drink beer. It always had CEL's too... Nothing like my 97 maxima's reliability. The 97 SE was awesome

Haven't had a Nissan since
Old 09-21-13, 03:59 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I've never had a super unreliable car but figure I would add a crazy reliable American truck. 1980 Chevy stepside. My father got it for me when I was 15 and I still have it 13 years later. SUPER reliable!!! Only broke some u-joints doing burnouts and having fun with it.

Just wanted to add a reliable American 80's vehicle.
Old 09-21-13, 05:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

My wife's 1988 Saab 900S. I bought it brand new for her as I surprise because I knew she really liked it. She was thrilled and just loved me for it. Just about everything you can think of broke on that car, including the transmission three times. The car was so unreliable that twice it broke down on the way home after being repaired.

I always tell people the two happiest days of my life were the day I bought it and the day I sold it!
Old 09-21-13, 09:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Reading through this thread reminds me of why I stick with Toyota. Wow.

It's amazing how many stories of new cars (not common anymore in the last few years), had tons of problems right out of the gate.

In contrast, I know of Toyota's that have gone 400,000 miles needing only oil changes and the required new tires, batteries, and belts. No repairs.
Old 09-21-13, 09:09 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

1998 eclipse gst
Old 09-22-13, 05:09 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

1979 Mazda 626.
I think Mazda was just beginning building piston engine passenger cars, after their pioneering rotary engines (Cosmo series?).
My 626 had one of their early aluminum engines/blocks.
I had 2 (!) blown head gaskets in this car's lifetime, due to overheating.
Ruptured transmission modulator (more than once), causing tranny and engine oil to mix and smoke through the exhaust (looks like some things didn't change for the better in later model years at Mazda).
In the later stages, it would start 9 times out of 10. OK for a college student, I guess.
The good thing is I learnt a lot about car parts and repairs because of this car. Lol!

Sent from an Android device using IB AutoGroup forum reader.
Old 09-22-13, 06:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
My wife's 1988 Saab 900S. I bought it brand new for her as I surprise because I knew she really liked it. She was thrilled and just loved me for it. Just about everything you can think of broke on that car, including the transmission three times. The car was so unreliable that twice it broke down on the way home after being repaired.

I always tell people the two happiest days of my life were the day I bought it and the day I sold it!
inquiring minds want to know - are you still married?
Old 09-22-13, 07:54 PM
LINDSDST
Driver School Candidate

2004 Hyundai Elantra. Would never buy a Hyundai again. Ran great for years and then 2012 came along, and everything went wrong at the same damn time. Transmission issues, oil issues, electrical issues, etc...SMH! Wouldn't wish a Hyundai on my worst enemy...well, nope wouldn't do it.
Old 09-22-13, 11:01 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

1987 Jaguar XJ6. The one our family had was a beautiful sky blue w/ black leather. It turned heads where ever it went - when it wasn't back in the garage of the local Jaguar mechanic.

This was the last year of the Series III, and despite it being the last model year, it was plagued with the same mechanical and electrical issues from previous model years.
Old 09-23-13, 04:44 AM
mjlexus
Driver School Candidate

A 1982 Lada 1500, for those who might not be familiar this is a Russian Company that bought technology from Fiat. I had to change ball joints and tie rods every six months. The ball joints would also break away from the control arms and the section of the frame where the steering box was bolt would completely break out. The timing chain was good for less than a year and window regulators broke with amazing frequency. The pedals were so high you almost needed a ladder to reach them and the brake pedal needed significant effort. There was no power steering which meant that owners didn't have to go to the gym for upper body work....that came free when driving. This was my first car in Jamaica and what I could reasonably afford at the time.
Old 09-23-13, 06:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,571 Posts

my 1983 honda prelude didn't have fuel injection so in the winter the carb (in PA) would basically freeze solid in really cold weather and the car was basically impossible to start. gf at the time had a buick skyhawk (pos in many ways, but) which ALWAYS started first time, every time, even on the coldest days.

Quick Reply: What was the MOST UNRELIABLE auto you ever owned!