Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Gazoo Racing Sport Hybrid Concept II (MR2 Hybrid?!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 01:37 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

It would be so awesome to have a new MR2. If they can build a new Celica, SC, and Supra, Toyota will be the king of the Japanese car makers.
Old 06-22-11, 02:17 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to MotorTrend the name of the concept is meant to honor Hiromu Naruse the Meister of Nürburgring.
http://wot.motortrend.com/new-mr2-to...#ixzz1Q1fBQ6yT

The letters “GRMN” translate to Gazoo Racing Meister of Nürburgring — Gazoo Racing being a Japanese motorsports group, while the Meister of the Nürburgring is a nickname for Toyota’s late test driver Hiromu Naruse.
Old 06-22-11, 02:29 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good concept. I've always loved the MR2 line since I was a kid. I'd buy it if they keep performance first in mind. The hybrid IMO is just a feature to the car; it shouldn't be the car's selling point.
Old 06-22-11, 02:48 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for the link. It's funny how they're basically saying it's the RX450h powertrain, but presumably working in the opposite direction relative to the RX. I actually didn't know the RX had transverse engines, which makes it perfect for the MR2. So here it'll basically be the 2GR-FE (rather than the FSE) in the back. (The 2GR-FE is the same engine that goes into the Evora.)

I never looked into the 2GR-FXE before, and didn't realize that the RX450h actually comes in both AWD and FWD variants. Based on posts on the RX forums here, apparently the only difference is the addition of small electric generators to the rear wheels on the AWD; the main part of the gas/hybrid/Atkinson engine is the same either way. That makes me wonder how beneficial such a platform is for sports driving especially given the additional weight and lack of advantage from any weight (re)distribution. It seems to me the real advantage of hybrid AWD in an MR/RR platform is to split as much of the electric stuff away from the gas powerplant as possible.

Originally Posted by ydooby
According to the following report the total output of the Concept II is only 295hp this time, with the 3.5L V6, driving the rear wheels, detuned to 245hp, and the electric motor driving the front wheels. Still decent I guess, if they can keep the weight down.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...nurburgring-24
Ya, it's basically the 2GR-FE unit in 2GR-FXE form so not really "detuned", because that's what it makes in the RX450h. Plus, it's based off the 2GR-FE which in gas-only form is rated ~270hp so not as if it was down from the FSE 306hp or something. Of course, I'd prefer to see this get some performance tuning. I'd really love to see something around at least 320-330hp.

But yeah, as you said, if the weight really does come in at 2800 this will be fun a car even at 300ish hp. The big issue is keeping the weight down.
Old 06-22-11, 03:04 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks and sounds kind of heavy. Seems like it could also quickly price itself out of its' market. Hopefully it, if they make this, it doesn't end up with MR2 size and weighing 3,500 lbs.
Old 06-22-11, 03:10 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
It looks and sounds kind of heavy. Seems like it could also quickly price itself out of its' market. Hopefully it, if they make this, it doesn't end up with MR2 size and weighing 3,500 lbs.
I think that "less than 1,500kg" official figure is grossly overestimated. The Concept I, which uses the the older 3.3L V6 driving the rear but with a more powerful electric motor driving the front, pumping out 400hp together, weighed 2,860lbs (1,297kg).

The Concept II with the newer 3.5L V6 and less powerful electric motor should weigh around the same as the Concept I if not less.
Old 06-22-11, 03:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Thanks for the link. It's funny how they're basically saying it's the RX450h powertrain, but presumably working in the opposite direction relative to the RX. I actually didn't know the RX had transverse engines, which makes it perfect for the MR2. So here it'll basically be the 2GR-FE (rather than the FSE) in the back. (The 2GR-FE is the same engine that goes into the Evora.)

I never looked into the 2GR-FXE before, and didn't realize that the RX450h actually comes in both AWD and FWD variants. Based on posts on the RX forums here, apparently the only difference is the addition of small electric generators to the rear wheels on the AWD; the main part of the gas/hybrid/Atkinson engine is the same either way. That makes me wonder how beneficial such a platform is for sports driving especially given the additional weight and lack of advantage from any weight (re)distribution. It seems to me the real advantage of hybrid AWD in an MR/RR platform is to split as much of the electric stuff away from the gas powerplant as possible.

Ya, it's basically the 2GR-FE unit in 2GR-FXE form so not really "detuned", because that's what it makes in the RX450h. Plus, it's based off the 2GR-FE which in gas-only form is rated ~270hp so not as if it was down from the FSE 306hp or something. Of course, I'd prefer to see this get some performance tuning. I'd really love to see something around at least 320-330hp.

But yeah, as you said, if the weight really does come in at 2800 this will be fun a car even at 300ish hp. The big issue is keeping the weight down.
Great info and post. I would assume the battery was upgraded but maybe not? As you stated this is an existing engine platform, one that IMO should be installed in multiple vehicles.

Well just guestimating but it would be a low 6/high 5 second car? That is being generous and assuming a weight around 3300lbs compared to the 450h 4500lbs or so. Then it would get maybe 33 or 34 MPG?

Also this generation RX AWD only kicks in when it detects slippage, otherwise its FWD. The last generation 2RX AWD system was 50/50 all time.

Old 06-22-11, 03:21 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar

It may have the same engine and electric motor as the RX450h but in the RX450h the engine and the motor work together through e-CVT, whereas in this concept they are not even connected, powering the rear wheels and front wheels separately.
Old 06-22-11, 03:21 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
I think that "less than 1,500kg" official figure is grossly overestimated. The Concept I, which uses the the older 3.3L V6 driving the rear but with a more powerful electric motor driving the front, pumping out 400hp together, weighed 2,860lbs (1,297kg).

The Concept II with the newer 3.5L V6 and less powerful electric motor should weigh around the same as the Concept I if not less.
Do concepts usually have all the safety features that production cars have when their weights are stated?
Old 06-22-11, 03:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

this is just concept, in no way or form will this appear in production... but it might give them some real ideas for some future production vehicle.
Old 06-22-11, 03:54 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Do concepts usually have all the safety features that production cars have when their weights are stated?
Concept cars are not regulated of course, but given that the MR-S that this concept is based on originally weighed 996kg, that the weight difference between the RX350 and the RX450h is 140kg, and that the weight difference between the Auris 1.8 and the Blade 3.5 is 210kg (using Auris/Blade here because it's the only Toyota model with both 1.8 and 3.5 options), the GRMN Concept II should weigh around 996 + 140 + 210 = 1356kg (which is actually heavier than the Concept I).
Old 06-22-11, 03:59 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Man, I remember when an MR-S was spotted at the ring late in it's life cycle with a widened rear end.

This has been in the making forever Should have just made it look like the Volta.
Old 06-22-11, 07:40 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Will be held from June 23 to the vehicle as "the Nurburgring 24 hour race 39 times" in Chicago.
in where???
Old 06-22-11, 07:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
in where???
Dunno. That's all google translation. Not mine.
Old 06-22-11, 07:51 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Dunno. That's all google translation. Not mine.
doh...
re-read the JDM link but didn't see anything about chicago...got me excited for a second.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Gazoo Racing Sport Hybrid Concept II (MR2 Hybrid?!)