Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Gazoo Racing Sport Hybrid Concept II (MR2 Hybrid?!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 02:47 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Exclamation Toyota/Gazoo Racing Sport Hybrid Concept II (MR2 Hybrid?!)

Gazoo Racing Sport Hybrid Concept II

Breaking news: Toyota Motor Corporation has just unveiled a new hybrid concept car based on the MR2... More details coming soon!

Courtesy: Toyota UK

Jun. 22, 2011
TMC to Show New GRMN Hybrid Concept at Nürburgring
Toyota City, Japan, June 22, 2011 — Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) will show the "GRMN (GAZOO Racing1 tuned by MN2) SPORTS HYBRID Concept II", a convertible mid-ship gasoline-electric hybrid concept, at the 39th Nürburgring 24-hour endurance race to be held near Nürburg, Germany, from June 23 through 26.

GRMN SPORTS HYBRID Concept II

The GRMN SPORTS HYBRID Concept II is an updated version of a gasoline-electric sports concept shown at Tokyo Auto Salon 2010 and has been developed to embody the enjoyment of automobiles. The vehicle features advanced styling and an improved sports-hybrid AWD system with the main power unit (gasoline engine, rear-wheel drive motors and transmission) located in the middle of the body and a front-wheel drive motor in front—all positioned to improve maneuverability, enhance driving enjoyment and provide enhanced stability. Meanwhile, top-down driving in electric-vehicle mode gives a fresh and exhilarating driving experience.

TMC launched the world's first mass-produced gasoline-electric vehicle in 1997, and has long conducted active research on applying hybrid technologies to racing and sports cars. The GRMN SPORTS HYBRID Concept II is positioned as the next step in the evolution of these efforts.

GRMN SPORTS HYBRID Concept II Details
Engine Type 2GR-FXE
Displacement 3,456 cc
Maximum output 183 kW (249 PS)
System Maximum output 220 kW (299 PS)
Body Length 4,350 mm
Width 1,890 mm
Height 1,200 mm
Wheelbase 2,575 mm
Weight 1,500 kg or less
Vehicle layout Mid-ship with front electric motor
Tires Front 225/40R19
Rear 255/35R19

24 Hours Nürburgring Race Outline
Name 39th ADAC Zurich24h-Race 2011
Dates June 23 through 26, 2011 (main competition runs from June 25 through 26)
Venue Nürburgring (Nürburg, Ahrweiler, State of Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany)

Courtesy: TMC

Last edited by flipside909; 06-22-11 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-22-11, 02:54 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Google Translate: Toyota Unveils Open mid-HV ... Nürburgring 24 hour display
June 22, 2011 (Wed) 14 hours 59 minutes

22 Toyota, open mid-hybrid concept car "GRMN SPORTS HYBRID Concept II" released. Will be held from June 23 to the vehicle as "the Nurburgring 24 hour race 39 times" in Chicago. Same concept car, hybrid released in the open mid January the Tokyo Auto Salon 2010 2010 "GRMN SPORTS HYBRID Concept" Volume 2. The newly redesigned and improved styling hybrid system. Hybrid system equipped with 4WD sport, fun and run freely through midship layout that combines the stability due to the motorized front. In addition, the EV running but also ensures quiet operation by adopting an open body. Toyota 1997, introduced mass-production hybrid vehicle to market ahead of the competition, racing cars traditional hybrid technology has been actively studied for application to a sports car. That you are now part of this vehicle.

Courtesy: response.jp
Old 06-22-11, 03:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

this is literally based on MR2... looks like conversion kit :-)
Old 06-22-11, 03:23 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It's cool they're still working on this. I think most people will remember the Sport Hybrid Concept I which debuted at the Tokyo Auto Salon last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qId_GaBURo

I'm hoping they can get the weight at least a tad bit closer to the original MR2, although of course the gas-based portion of the powerplant was supposedly upped to the 3.3L V6 to help compensate for the additional weight of the hybrid system.
Old 06-22-11, 04:54 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is one hell of a facelift. I think someone at Toyota has a crush on a TVR
Old 06-22-11, 06:05 AM
LexFather

Did I read 4WD/AWD?

Build it, badge it a Lexus, let us buy it. Thank you

Old 06-22-11, 06:21 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Did I read 4WD/AWD?
Presumably it'll work like the GT3 R, with gas engine behind the cabin powering (only) the rear wheels, and electric motor in front powering (only) the front wheels.

I wonder if there will be enough trunk room in the front for a backpack.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Build it, badge it a Lexus, let us buy it. Thank you
I'd like to think I would consider buying one just for the novelty factor and in support of the platform (I've always loved the MR2, even the bastardized last gen), but the CVT would be a killer. Otherwise, this could be a remarkable performance car; previously a max hp figure just under 400 was batted around - while I'd assume anything resembling a production car would make much less hp, even something around 340 would give it base-model Carrera power in a lighter package.

Of course, I think I'd rather take just the 2GR-FSE at 306hp, RWD, and without the extra hybrid/drivetrain weight - and with a suspension deserving of an F model. Alternatively, Toyota could just buy Lotus instead of just supplying engines for the Evora.

Last edited by gengar; 06-22-11 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-22-11, 06:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Presumably it'll work like the GT3 R, with gas engine behind the cabin powering (only) the rear wheels, and electric motor in front powering (only) the front wheels.

I wonder if there will be enough trunk room in the front for a backpack.

I'd like to think I would consider buying one just for the novelty factor and in support of the platform (I've always loved the MR2, even the bastardized last gen), but the CVT would be a killer. Otherwise, this could be a remarkable performance car; previously a max hp figure just under 400 was batted around - while I'd assume anything resembling a production car would make much less hp, even something around 340 would give it base-model Carrera power in a lighter package.

Of course, I think I'd rather take just the 2GR-FSE at 306hp, RWD, and without the extra hybrid/drivetrain weight - and with a suspension deserving of an F model. Alternatively, Toyota could just buy Lotus instead of just supplying engines for the Evora.
http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/11/06/0622.html

Thanks for the explanation..yeah 400hp has been thrown around for years now, that would really be appealing and I'm sure this powertrain would go in other vehicles. Really glad they didn't give up on this and this could be another new sport Toyota with the FR-S etc.... ( I think a concept had 392hp in January?)

The GSh, CR-Z, Porsche, BMW hybrids etc all claim to be sporty hybrids but this could really be the first hybrid sports car.

CVT would be tough but I assume they will enhance the responsiveness and add some sort of paddle shift.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-22-11 at 07:19 AM.

Old 06-22-11, 08:55 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

awesome concept!
Old 06-22-11, 09:03 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting.

It ain't no Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid though...

Old 06-22-11, 11:09 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wake me if they build it for mass consumption...
Old 06-22-11, 11:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That looks pretty radical, was not expecting that .

I hope this means we're getting a next-gen MR2 ! Do it Toyota, make a sport hybrid MR2 successor, then follow it up with a Supra successor !
Old 06-22-11, 11:30 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Woot make it already Toyota!! This looks pretty much production-ready to me. Just make it!!
Old 06-22-11, 12:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Rough around the edges...still in concept format. I like the overall shape. The headlights i'm betting will be more streamlined and encased for aerodynamics.
Old 06-22-11, 12:53 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

According to the following report the total output of the Concept II is only 295hp this time, with the 3.5L V6, driving the rear wheels, detuned to 245hp, and the electric motor driving the front wheels. Still decent I guess, if they can keep the weight down.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...nurburgring-24

Quick Reply: Toyota/Gazoo Racing Sport Hybrid Concept II (MR2 Hybrid?!)