Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How is "Fiat" pronounced?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 05:09 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...fee-yaht...
Old 06-27-11, 10:45 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Fee-Ought is how i say it.
Same here, but I will also say that "Fiat" is not a name that is often used in my daily conversations.

Turby
Old 06-27-11, 11:37 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on where ur from the brits would say "fee-yit",us arabs say "fee-yat", americans would say " CRAP!! "
Old 09-20-11, 09:36 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this back cause I hate the way they pronounce the names on Top Gear UK. On the show they pronounce Nissan as "niss-sun". They also call the Prius a "pr-eye-us". They call Fiat a "fee-it". We all know they drive on the WRONG side of the road and say "aluminium" (we all know the correct spelling is aluminum ). so...

fiat = fee-yacht
nissan = knee-saan
prius = pree-us

This is America so we are always right.
Old 09-20-11, 10:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

LOL Well, at least JLo's lipsinking in the latest Fiat commercial masks the mispronounciation. Real bad editing in there though. She's all perfectly still while inside driving the car but then they pan outside and the car is going through an obstacle course. Doh!
Old 09-21-11, 04:21 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fee-ott............
Old 09-21-11, 04:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I've never been to a place in the world where it hasn't been pronounced Fee aat, that's even how it was pronounced at dealers I remember in Mexico.

I still remember how Renault when from being pronounced from Ren-oh to Ren-ALT back when it was sold in the U.S.
btw, reno is a nickname for renault :-)
Old 09-21-11, 05:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just can't see the FIAT selling well.
It's too small,lousy MPGs with the auto at "up to 27 cty/34 hwy mpg",it's super slow at 0-60 in over 11 seconds with the auto and it's a FIAT.

I pronounce it a POS.
Old 09-21-11, 05:50 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
t's too small
Need more space? Get a Ford F-650 then. This car is spacious enough for two people and four for short journeys around town. Nobody with a large family will buy this car as an interstate cruiser.

lousy MPGs with the auto at "up to 27 cty/34 hwy mpg",
Owners are reporting far better mileage than what the EPA "estimates". Fuel mileage also is influenced by driving style, tires, weather conditions and many other factors.

Also, the MINI isn't exactly the gas mileage champion either, but it sells because it has cult status. The Fiat 500 is also a cult car as is the Beetle or a Corvette. Cult cars sell.

it's super slow at 0-60 in over 11 seconds with the auto and it's a FIAT.
Right. 0-60 is so important in our daily driving that everyone needs to drive a car that is capable of hitting 60 in under six seconds - because it also makes us look cool, right?

The regular 500 isn't a performance car. In city environments 0-60 mph is completely irrelevant. This is a fun, lifestyle car with cute styling. If you want performance, wait for the Abarth version or get something else.

Clearly this car is not for you. That doesn't mean it won't appeal to others. Tastes are subjective. In fact my sister back home is contemplating either a MINI Cooper or Fiat 500 because in her words "She's bored of her Lexus IS." She's looking for something stylish and fun and small and both these cars fit her criteria.
Old 09-21-11, 07:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Need more space? Get a Ford F-650 then. This car is spacious enough for two people and four for short journeys around town. Nobody with a large family will buy this car as an interstate cruiser.

Owners are reporting far better mileage than what the EPA "estimates". Fuel mileage also is influenced by driving style, tires, weather conditions and many other factors.

Also, the MINI isn't exactly the gas mileage champion either, but it sells because it has cult status. The Fiat 500 is also a cult car as is the Beetle or a Corvette. Cult cars sell.

Right. 0-60 is so important in our daily driving that everyone needs to drive a car that is capable of hitting 60 in under six seconds - because it also makes us look cool, right?

The regular 500 isn't a performance car. In city environments 0-60 mph is completely irrelevant. This is a fun, lifestyle car with cute styling. If you want performance, wait for the Abarth version or get something else.

Clearly this car is not for you. That doesn't mean it won't appeal to others. Tastes are subjective. In fact my sister back home is contemplating either a MINI Cooper or Fiat 500 because in her words "She's bored of her Lexus IS." She's looking for something stylish and fun and small and both these cars fit her criteria.
i think Fiat sells rather well... although all of your points are applicable to any other car on the road... basically you are saying that car should NOT be measured by objective criteria, be it space, mpg, acceleration, reliability or anything else.

Last edited by spwolf; 09-21-11 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 07:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV

Just giving my opinion.
The car most likely will sell well early and then be a flop.

A 500 and a MINI?
The MINI is quicker,handles better,looks better in and out and gets better MPG.
I like the MINI.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-21-11 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Just giving my opinion.
The car most likely will sell well early and then be a flop.A 500 and a MINI?
The MINI is quicker,handles better,looks better in and out and gets better MPG.
I like the MINI.
It's starting to sell here in the D.C. area, in noticeable but not huge numbers. Some people, apparantly, either don't remember the Fix-it-Again-Tony Fiats of 30 years ago, or are willing to forget about the past, give the company the benefit of the doubt, and try again. And, as I said earlier in this thread, not only was I very pleased with the Fiat dealership I visited several months ago for the 500 review, but I couldn't find any real problems with the car itself either. IMO, it makes an excellent competitior to the Mini. Of course, a lot of cars seem well-built when brand-new....the real test comes several years of use (and abuse) in the hands of consumers.
Old 09-21-11, 02:04 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think Fiat sells rather well... although all of your points are applicable to any other car on the road... basically you are saying that car should NOT be measured by objective criteria, be it space, mpg, acceleration, reliability or anything else.
That's not the way I read it. What he said is we all apply different weights to each of those criteria when making a purchasing decision. And with many cars being as much a fashion item as a mode of transport that can be a criteria that carries as much, if not more, weight than the others.