Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How exactly do car catch on fire? Just saw one and it scared me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 10:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Yeah, it was an early 2000s Ford Expedition.
if this was Toyota, LA Times would win another Pulitzer.
Old 06-28-11, 10:25 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

chi123,

State Farm is one of the few insurance companies that offers "Comprehensive" and "Collision" as separate line items. You can get Liability and Comprehensive, but not get Collision. Most insurance companies bundle Comp. and Collision together.

I don't know for sure if Comprehensive would cover you in this particular type if instance but, it covers things like "Acts of God", etc. The "nobody's fault" stuff. Also covers glass breakage.

Might be at least worth a phone call to a local State Farm agent to see what it covers and how much it would be for you.

I was in the same situation years ago...couldn't afford the Collision on a car, but I got the Comprehensive coverage with my Liability. Wasn't a ton of extra $$$.

As for the OP...that Ford cruise-control fiasco is just terrifying. Another reason why I simply despise American cars, and American car companies. Hundreds of cars caught on fire...burned down many customers' houses. Even with the car sitting cold, 3am, in the garage...just "poof", car goes up in flames and takes the house with it.

Ford denied it was their problem...for a very long time.
Old 06-28-11, 11:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

worst thing about this recall is that they started recalling cars in 2005, and i think latest one was in 2009. Now Toyota got blasted for 3 months delay between US and Euro recalls, with cars produced in different factories, and different user reports, etc.

Ford got away with 4-5 years of delay between different models, sold in same country.

Here is the history:
http://trucks.about.com/od/carsafety/a/ford_cruise.htm

Initial Recall: September 7, 2005
UPDATE: August, 2006 (extra 1.2m)
UPDATE: October 14, 2009 (extra 4.5m)

p.s. It took them until Sept 2008 to start getting parts to fix the original recall from 2005/2006 (they initially just disabled it, after 3 years they started replacing the cruise controls).

Ford has now recalled more than 14 million vehicles in eight separate recalls over a 10-year period because of the problem.
Old 06-28-11, 11:47 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I once worked for a company that REQUIRED those of us with company vehicles to carry a fire extinguisher . . . if not for yourself, for someone else. A car fire, even a very small one is extremely dangerous and without some kind of immediate access to firefighting equipment in the first few minutes of the fire, your best bet is to clear everyone away from the scene and call for professional help.

Firefighters will tell you that far more dangerous than the fuel tank blowing up (it is usually located well away from the engine compartment, the scene of most fires), is a tire catching fire and exploding. A bursting high-pressure tire is the rough equivalent of a cannon shot and can seriously injure anyone within thirty feet. If you have an underhood fire, approach from directly in front of the vehicle - don't lean over a tire to fight the fire.
I am a firefighter and the first the my Lt told us to look out for is for the front tires if the engine bay is on fire. We once responded to a car fire and the owner was trying to open the hood and the front left tire blew breaking his leg. It looked like a newer C6 Z06.
Old 06-28-11, 01:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Cars I see most on fire: Corvettes, old VW buses and Beetles, and older Nissans.
Old 06-28-11, 02:29 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Besides the Corvette, all the auto fires I responded to were Fords. And one Porsche.
Old 06-28-11, 02:38 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the OP

Did you ever find out what was the cause of the fire?
Old 06-28-11, 03:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

thats a trip. That thing is engulfed
Old 06-28-11, 03:52 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a car pop a fuel hose and catch fire.

Its pretty scary seeing a fireball come out of your hoodscoop...

Car fires are not exactly common, but they aren't exactly uncommon either. I've seen several just out in the middle of streets.
Old 06-28-11, 05:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Besides the Corvette, all the auto fires I responded to were Fords. And one Porsche.
apparently, there are still 5 million unfixed Fords on the road today :-)
Old 06-28-11, 06:51 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see American and older BMW on fire the most. I have yet to see a Japanese car on fire that was not deliberately set.
Old 06-28-11, 07:54 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once stopped to help out on a MG fire. Never at a car fire before and I thought I would save the day with my 2 extigushers. 3 small fires under the hood and 1 front tire on fire. After it seemed like 45 seconds of spray, both extigushers empty and still 2 fires under the hood and then the tire lights up again. Lucky or unlucky for the owner thats when a fire truck pulled up and put the rest out. Not sure if he would have been better off if the car was totaled?
Old 06-28-11, 11:59 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Strange as you all mention about the tires popping. Surprising, since firefighters took so long, the fender and whole front got burnt up. When it was put out, you could see though the car completely. Headlights were melted onto the street along with all sort of fluids but the tires stayed well inflated and still looked good strangely. Owners must have had some good tires on.
Old 06-29-11, 12:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Strange as you all mention about the tires popping. Surprising, since firefighters took so long, the fender and whole front got burnt up. When it was put out, you could see though the car completely. Headlights were melted onto the street along with all sort of fluids but the tires stayed well inflated and still looked good strangely. Owners must have had some good tires on.
Interesting to point that out. Most truck and bus fires I've seen, the tires are still intact. I've never understood this either, but my guess is they are built to withstand extreme heat while running in 100 degree weather on the highway and while underinflated, thus can handle the extreme heat of fire. Maybe someone else knows...
Old 06-29-11, 07:53 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Once the rubber ignites, it is impossible to extinguish with any kind of hand-held extinguisher - there is simply too much heat being generated for such a puny device to dissipate. Even a small water line from a fire engine will make quick work of a car fire.

Your extinguisher is limited and will only operate for seven to ten seconds, so your opportunity to fight a fire yourself is extremely limited. In any car fire, no matter how small, your first move should be to call 911 and get the professionals on the way.

Next, evacuate the area and be sure the way is clear behind you for YOU to exit as well. Don't get trapped by the fire if it spreads.

Then, if you have a fire extinguisher, you can attack the fire. But before you do so, get professional instruction and experience in its use. If you purchase an extinguisher for your car or home, learn to use it properly before you hang it up. Most local fire departments are happy to come out to your place of business to demonstrate the techniques of using a portable extinguisher to your employees, club, or civic group. You can even go hands-on with a fire yourself under their supervision.

Improperly used, a portable device can actually make the situation worse by spreading the flames. That little instruction label doesn't begin to provide enough training - and reading it as the flames spread is really too little, too late. The point is not to become a martyr while trying to be a hero.

Basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLjoWjCrDqg

I know we have experienced firefighters here on CL, and I defer to their expertise for any comments they may wish to chime in here.

Quick Reply: How exactly do car catch on fire? Just saw one and it scared me.