Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 09:46 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
^ Differently shaped headlights and taillights from the other shots we've seen on this supposed hybrid model? That would be a first, and an expensive first. These simpler lights are better looking IMO. The grill, not so much.

Looks a lot like our current 2011 Camry doesn't it? Except ... more bland headlights and taillights.

As I said, the pictured Camry in the scans could easily be the 2012 ASEAN Camry hybrid, for ASEAN overseas markets. The pics I posted above have differently shaped headlights and tails than our US market Camry. Toyota has done, and will do that for overseas markets.

Really can't wait to see official high-res shots of the interior, especially the XLE interior.
Old 07-07-11, 09:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRD, I think you mean AsiIan?
Old 07-07-11, 10:10 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, that does not look like the 2012 US Camry. Notice the pictures are scans from some Japanese source? This looks like the ASEAN Camry, which has had more bland styling compared to the US Camry. Look for yourselves in the pics from that low quality leaked video...the headlights and tails on the car in the scans are different than the Camry models that were presented at the US dealer meeting.

The US Camry hybrid will not look like that, I will bet on it. I'd be surprised if the US Camry looks like this. Besides, these are very poor quality scans. Yet another leak of poor quality photos.
The ASEAN Camry is different, yes, but the Japanese Camry has always looked like the US Camry. See http://toyota.jp/camry/ .

So what's pictured in the Japanese magazine is very likely what the US Camry will look like.
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
ASEAN = Association of SouthEast Asian Nations, which does not include Japan.
Old 07-07-11, 10:14 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
ASEAN = The Association of Southeast Asian Nations

I think TRD is making a distinction between Southeast Asia and Japan.
Old 07-07-11, 10:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Looks pretty good, in the typical conservative Camry fashion. Two demerits would be the Dame Edna foglight surrounds and the hood over the dash air vents.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 07-07-11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 10:22 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, to be clear I am talking about the ASEAN Camry, which is for South-Asian markets excluding Japan. Again, this could be the ASEAN Camry pictured in the scans. We don't know for sure yet, unless someone can read Japanese here. We'll see soon enough.
Old 07-07-11, 10:35 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Also, is it just me or do those headlights look too close to the LS's for comfort?
Old 07-07-11, 10:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, headlights look quite close to the LS in the pictured scans.

More interesting info. Interior space is up slightly, length and width increase a tiny bit, and trunk space is up, now at 15.5 cu. ft. compared to the 2011 Camry that has 15 cu. ft. trunk space. Wheelbase remains the same, so that means they managed to improve interior packaging.
Old 07-07-11, 10:48 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

It says here that with smaller batteries the trunk of the hybrid can now accommodate 4 golf bags. Surely a much needed improvement there. Wonder if they shrunk the battery size by switching to Li-ion.
Old 07-07-11, 10:56 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
It says here that with smaller batteries the trunk of the hybrid can now accommodate 4 golf bags. Surely a much needed improvement there. Wonder if they shrunk the battery size by switching to Li-ion.
Very interesting. Can you read Japanese? Looks like a move either to li-ion, or improved battery packaging.
Old 07-07-11, 11:16 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Also it says here that the fuel economy is rated at 26.5km/L, or 62.3mpg, on the hugely inflated Japanese test cycle of course. Knowing that the 50mpg Prius is rated at 38km/L, or 89.3mpg(!!), in Japan, we can expect the Camry Hybrid to get an EPA rating of 62.3mpg x 50 / 89.3 = 34.9mpg, which is a scant 5.8% improvement to the current 33mpg Camry Hybrid and frankly a huge disappointment in light of the new competition (i.e. the 39mpg Fusion Hybrid and the 37mpg Sonata Hybrid). I hope this is not what Toyota calls the next-gen HSD and that the Camry Hybrid will get a mid-cycle upgrade to the real next-gen, or Toyota will really start losing grasp on the hybrid market.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Very interesting. Can you read Japanese? Looks like a move either to li-ion, or improved battery packaging.
No I can't, but thanks to Google Translation and some guess works, I managed to decipher a bit of info from those Japanese descriptions. Hopefully someone who actually reads Japanese can give us more details.

Last edited by ydooby; 07-07-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-07-11, 11:29 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota is usually conservative in numbers. Babying the cars can get you 60mpg, also in Japan, fuel economy is better for hybrids because of their city driving. That's where hybrids excel anyway. Another thing I want to point out, the front end looks like the refreshed Yaris. The bumper at least. The grille is the problem if you ask me.
Old 07-07-11, 11:36 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Interior looks to be on the conservative side. Style wise it is hard to say if it's an improvement because the look is similar to the current one. Btw is that wood across the passenger side of the dashboard? C'mon Toyota release official photos and specs!
Old 07-07-11, 11:44 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The worry with this car is that it encroaches on Lexus territory. Toyota's philosophy seems to be "to make it better, make it look like a Lexus". The front end is already essentially lifted off of the LS, and the interior with the wood on the dash and the silver trim above it resembles what we've seen with the GS interior (with the silver trim below the wood).

It looks like generic Toyota (Corolla-esque center stack and exterior shape) mixed with some elements from Lexus.
Old 07-07-11, 11:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The worry with this car is that it encroaches on Lexus territory. Toyota's philosophy seems to be "to make it better, make it look like a Lexus". The front end is already essentially lifted off of the LS, and the interior with the wood on the dash and the silver trim above it resembles what we've seen with the GS interior (with the silver trim below the wood).

It looks like generic Toyota (Corolla-esque center stack and exterior shape) mixed with some elements from Lexus.
I think the next-gen Lexus models are going further upscale. While this looks closer to Lexus, I think for example the next-gen GS interior will still be much more upscale than this new Camry exterior. Keep in mind we're looking at a blurry photo again here. Having seen the 2012 Camry interior before, it is a great interior for the class, getting close to Lexus indeed. But upcoming Lexus designs will be big improvements, so I wouldn't worry personally too much.

Most likely that is fake wood for the Camry interior, but it does look good, compared to the vast expanses of plastic most of the competition's interiors have in the midsize sedan class.

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)