Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 11:52 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, that does not look like the 2012 US Camry. Notice the pictures are scans from some Japanese source? This looks like the ASEAN Camry, which has had more bland styling compared to the US Camry. Look for yourselves in the pics from that low quality leaked video...the headlights and tails on the car in the scans are different than the Camry models that were presented at the US dealer meeting.

The US Camry hybrid will not look like that, I will bet on it. I'd be surprised if the US Camry looks like this. Besides, these are very poor quality scans. Yet another leak of poor quality photos.

Toyota, you need to release OFFICIAL pics and specs about the Camry ASAP!
You should've bolded that with a font size 7, because people will automatically believe that is in fact the 2012 US Camry. Hell, the headlights are a dead giveaway that it's not.
Old 07-07-11, 11:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The headlight alone don't match!!!

Old 07-07-11, 12:15 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, that does not look like the 2012 US Camry. Notice the pictures are scans from some Japanese source? This looks like the ASEAN Camry, which has had more bland styling compared to the US Camry. Look for yourselves in the pics from that low quality leaked video...the headlights and tails on the car in the scans are different than the Camry models that were presented at the US dealer meeting.

The US Camry hybrid will not look like that, I will bet on it. I'd be surprised if the US Camry looks like this. Besides, these are very poor quality scans. Yet another leak of poor quality photos.

Toyota, you need to release OFFICIAL pics and specs about the Camry ASAP!

But enough about the exterior, the big news is FINALLY an interior pic, which will be VERY close to what we get. Surprised nobody has commented yet, but that is pretty much the interior I saw a while ago. Class leading interior right there. Now imagine that interior in the scans, only with a leather dash and multi-colored leather seats in the interior. Toyota is back, and the competition should be worried.
I agree, not the same car.
Old 07-07-11, 01:40 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some people don't pay attention and jump to conclusions
Old 07-07-11, 03:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
FINALLY! Here we go

looks like the hybrid

ok... so, it is hard to figure out japanese testing cycle vs US, but if that was correct, it gets 15% better mpg with 20hp more than before.

So combined 37-39 MPG with 206hp now.

i like this look better, but this is not how fascia of SE or XLE will look for sure, front lights that Toyoda has revealed do not look like this at all.

Hopefully pics are real and interior is real as well.
Old 07-07-11, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

440l trunk for hybrid! 2" more legroom at the back!

Previously Camry had 425l trunk but Hybrid only had 300l.... 440l makes it fully usable as an family vehicle!

These are the best news of all... Previously non-Prius hybrids had a lot smaller trunk, for instance 300l is a little bit bigger than Yaris 3-door trunk.... now 425l is a lot better, it is normally sized trunk.
Old 07-07-11, 03:31 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
ok... so, it is hard to figure out japanese testing cycle vs US, but if that was correct, it gets 15% better mpg with 20hp more than before.

So combined 37-39 MPG with 206hp now.

i like this look better, but this is not how fascia of SE or XLE will look for sure, front lights that Toyoda has revealed do not look like this at all.

Hopefully pics are real and interior is real as well.
Good eyes. I didn't catch the 206ps (or about 203hp) part of the description, which is definitely the result of the newer-gen 2.5L engine, but where do you get that it's getting 15% better mpg? I don't think the Camry Hybrid is currently being sold in Japan so where do you get the Japanese fuel economy rating of the current Camry Hybrid? From my calculation based on comparison to the Prius, the fuel economy of the new Camry Hybrid only got a 5.8% increase at 34.9mpg (check my post on the last page).

Last edited by ydooby; 07-07-11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 03:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Good eyes. I didn't catch the 206ps part of the description, which is definitely the result of the newer-gen 2.5L engine, but where do you get that it's getting 15% better mpg? I don't think the Camry Hybrid is currently being sold in Japan so where do you get the Japanese fuel economy rating of the current Camry Hybrid? From my calculation based on comparison to the Prius, the fuel economy of the new Camry Hybrid only got a 5.8% increase at 34.9mpg (check my post on the last page).
Toyota Sai has same drivetrain in Japan. Heck, Camry gets less mpg than Sai/HS so in fact, this is even bigger improvement... it is hard to figure out exactly, based on japanese testing cycles. I used Sai to compare which has 35/34 in US (Lexus HS), vs Camry that has 31/35... so it seems it should get 37-38 mpg, with 19hp more.

trunk space is most important thing here, that means they managed to somehow fit it so there is no space lost in the trunk.... thats huge difference from before, more-so than anything else.
Old 07-07-11, 03:52 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Toyota Sai has same drivetrain in Japan. Heck, Camry gets less mpg than Sai/HS so in fact, this is even bigger improvement... it is hard to figure out exactly, based on japanese testing cycles. I used Sai to compare which has 35/34 in US (Lexus HS), vs Camry that has 31/35... so it seems it should get 37-38 mpg, with 19hp more.
Sai and HS may be sisters but weigh more than 200lbs apart so I think your method is more inaccurate than mine. At least I'm basing my calculations on a car that exists in both countries.
trunk space is most important thing here, that means they managed to somehow fit it so there is no space lost in the trunk.... thats huge difference from before, more-so than anything else.
Agreed here. It's almost magical. How do they do it?
Old 07-07-11, 03:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Sai and HS may be sisters but weigh more than 200lbs apart so I think your method is more inaccurate than mine. At least I'm basing my calculations on a car that exists in both countries. Agreed here. It's almost magical. How do they do it?
uhm, Sai and HS in Japan have same fuel numbers... so you can compare Lexus HS in Japan to Lexus HS in USA and then compare to Camry Hybrid.

Camry Hybrid in Japan will get 15% better mpg than Lexus HS in Japan.

You can also calculate back from Prius v in Japan.

If you calculate from Lexus HS, then Camry Hybrid will get up to 40 MPG.
If you calculate from Prius v, then Camry Hybrid will get up to 36 MPG.
Old 07-07-11, 04:30 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

uhm, Sai and HS in Japan have same fuel numbers... so you can compare Lexus HS in Japan to Lexus HS in USA and then compare to Camry Hybrid.

Camry Hybrid in Japan will get 15% better mpg than Lexus HS in Japan.

You can also calculate back from Prius v in Japan.

If you calculate from Lexus HS, then Camry Hybrid will get up to 40 MPG.
If you calculate from Prius v, then Camry Hybrid will get up to 36 MPG.
Ah, forgot that the HS is available in both Japan and the US too. Then yeah, with the HS getting 24km/L in Japan, the new Camry Hybrid should get 35mpg (HS's EPA rating) x 26.5 / 24 = 38.6mpg. Much more competitive with the Fusion Hybrid and Sonata Hybrid for sure.
Old 07-07-11, 04:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Ah, forgot that the HS is available in both Japan and the US too. Then yeah, with the HS getting 24km/L in Japan, the new Camry Hybrid should get 35mpg (HS's EPA rating) x 26.5 / 24 = 38.6mpg. Much more competitive with the Fusion Hybrid and Sonata Hybrid for sure.
HS gets 23km/L in Japan though... so up to 40mpg... but i think it will be 37-38mpg in the end.

Honestly, more excited to find out how they shrunk the hybrid package and where the heck is battery. So far lithium hybrids have had same issues with trunk space, for instance Sonata Hybrid has lost most of its trunk too, despite having lithoum battery.

With extra 10% power, Camry Hybrid will be plenty quick too... it was already quicker than Sonata despite having less HP, now it might get under 7 seconds unofficial numbers (so far 2011 Camry Hybrid has been tested around 7.5s with official numbers being 8.3s vs 9.2s for 209hp Sonata).
Old 07-07-11, 04:46 PM
LexFather

Sounds like good stuff coming from Toyota. Mr. Toyoda is putting the pride back into building the best cars and that is what matters most since that is what Toyota built its reputation on.

I honestly think this Camry will be a throwback to the 92-96 version. Overbuilt.

Old 07-07-11, 04:47 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

HS gets 23km/L in Japan though... so up to 40mpg... but i think it will be 37-38mpg in the end.
Oops my eyes failed me again. The HS gets 23km/L indeed, so the new Camry can get up to 40mpg (40.3mpg to be a bit more precise). That would be a sweet number to market with.
Old 07-07-11, 04:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Oops my eyes failed me again. The HS gets 23km/L indeed, so the new Camry can get up to 40mpg (40.3mpg to be a bit more precise). That would be a sweet number to market with.
well except that Prius v gets 42 mpg combined in USA and 31km/L in Japan, which then makes this 36 MPG Camry :-).... again, very hard to say for real as there might be different models of Prius v (Alpha) in Japan, etc.

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)