Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 01:47 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion is that they gave the Avalon the extensive '11 refresh in order to get its redesign cycle behind the Camry's. Sales of each Avalon have started off strong, then go down in the dumps whenever the new Camry comes out 2 years later (though the Gen 1 Avy didn't really see a drop). Now, with the Avalon's redesign cycle behind the Camry's and the Camry being the Camry, Toyota doesn't have to worry about the Avalon's sales tanking, which is why we're getting a new '13 Avalon.

That said, I still want the Mark X re-christened as the Cressida to take over its rightful spot as the Toyota flagship
Old 06-30-11, 03:55 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait until we see all these new products! I love the push to inject some fun, sport and style into the full lineup! Go go Mr. Toyoda, I love the change the LFA has brought upon the company
Old 06-30-11, 06:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
So when is the Avalon coming out?
Late next year, I believe.

Originally Posted by tetra7
So will the new Camry still possess a lifeless soul and numb steering? I have yet found a Camry that has caused me to do a double take..
Not sure what you expect from a midsize family sedan, but if you're looking for something with some soul and that is more engaging to drive, have you ever driven the SE V6? It's been highly regarded and is considered by many to be the best driving family sedan in it's class.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Actually, the quote about 20 new or redesigned products over the next 2 years would include the Rav4 I think . Rav4 I heard looks great too and is great.

So much for all the critics who claimed the Avalon would be killed off .

Maybe Avalon might have stolen the show in terms of being the biggest surprise, but Camry, FRS, and Rav4 are all supposed to be very strong products, along with the next-gen Corolla. I am suspicious of the "better than any current Lexus design" quote as there is no way the new Avalon looks better than the LFA . Camry I know is a very strong product.
Correct - Rav4 will be here early next year. I heard good things about all the products that were shown, but unfortunately did hear that the FRS has been noticeably toned down for production from the concept we last saw. Supposedly the front end is a bit different and obviously there are more tame wheels and rear valences. I think the comment about Avalon vs. Lexus was in regard to sedans, as there is no way it could look better than the LFA!

The folks that I spoke to were ranting and raving about the Avalon, and were pleased with the Camry, but legitimately excited about the Avalon. The updated US Camry supposedly looks better than the concept that was shown last year, but is still not significantly different from the current car.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Avalon just got a heavy facelift, yet your saying they just showed a new one? Hmmmm. The Camry's facelift has been out for years, and now they've finally shown the new model. Something is out of wack here.
Avalon was all new in '06, I think, so a heavy refresh let them get another 2 and a half years out of the current architecture before totally redoing it. Understandable, IMO.
Old 06-30-11, 06:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Toyota quite a while back did say they were changing how they do mid-cycle refreshes, to make them more significant and less minor than before, while also slightly extending life cycles of their models. Perhaps this was part of it. Extending life cycles slightly helps Toyota to ensure high quality, while more significant mid-cycle model changes allows models to stay fresh and competitive.

That new Avalon may not arrive until 2013 or 2014.
i completely agree but if they have already shown new Avalon, is it definitively going to be sold within next year or so, at least somewhere around the world.
Old 06-30-11, 06:49 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

This gets me so excited!! Hyundai/Kia really bought up competition that finally alerted Toyota' fugly design for the past 10 year!!
Now, will they offer a AWD Camry?? I'm alway wondering why Toyota don't have any AWD sedan..........Hyundai got a AWD Sonata, Toyota really need one to cover this segment, not everyone can afford a Lexus GS AWD
BTW....I will NOT buy a Hyundai/Kia!!!

I'm in the market for a AWD sedan at this moment.....the reliablity issue blow me away from the GS..........I will accept a Camry AWD if they are available
Old 06-30-11, 06:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

what reliability issue with GS? One from CR where GS AWD has stereo problems?
Old 06-30-11, 07:48 AM
grabber2
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
Too much small thing going on with he GS AWD comparing to other Lexus model, recalls, Audio, squeaking panel, vibration, dash-electrical.......things that I never heard from other Lexus model......I don't totally trust those research, but there's a reson why its on the not-recommeded list
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)-crreliabilitychart_1_opt.jpg   Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)-crreliabilitychart_2_opt.jpg  
Old 06-30-11, 08:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by grabber2
Too much small thing going on with he GS AWD comparing to other Lexus model, recalls, Audio, squeaking panel, vibration, dash-electrical.......things that I never heard from other Lexus model......I don't totally trust those research, but there's a reson why its on the not-recommeded list

there are no differences between AWD and RWD when it comes to those issues you mentioned... so everyone here who owns GS is perplexed as I am.

in short: AWD is as reliable as RWD.
Old 06-30-11, 09:25 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only know what the exterior and interior look like, and that the SE will be quite sporty, and SE looks sporty without being gaudy. The exterior is a mix of/evolution of current gen 6 styling cues and some Mark X styling cues.
Is this what it looks like:

Old 06-30-11, 09:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I wouldn't say reliability issue, but build quality/material quirks. Dash rattle, windshield positioning clips, interior trim rattles, uneven dash mold around window defroster vents...the list goes on and on. I never had to bring my 2004 IS 300 in for stuff like that in the 4 years and 105k miles I owned it. I had my 07 GS for less time and trade it in for the IS F. The quality issues were just minor issue for me, but the boring drive experience was the main reason why I got rid of it.
Old 06-30-11, 09:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

Looks like they took a picture of the HS 250h, elongated the front end and put a Toyota Sai style front end on it:

Old 06-30-11, 09:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

Rumor is/was that is the hybrid.
Old 06-30-11, 12:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
I wouldn't say reliability issue, but build quality/material quirks. Dash rattle, windshield positioning clips, interior trim rattles, uneven dash mold around window defroster vents...the list goes on and on. I never had to bring my 2004 IS 300 in for stuff like that in the 4 years and 105k miles I owned it. I had my 07 GS for less time and trade it in for the IS F. The quality issues were just minor issue for me, but the boring drive experience was the main reason why I got rid of it.
you dont understand I think - GS350 AWD has been rated as not reliable for stereo issues and GS350 RWD has been rated as reliable by same magazine.

Sure that squeak when it is very cold outside was annoying to me but that was pretty much the only thing wrong with my car.. IS had some issues too, I remember that old IS300 for instance had those CD players that would burn out, which was IMHO much larger issue than a squeak.

But nevertheless, what I and many other GS owners dont understand is why CR reccomends RWD and doesnt reccomend AWD based on things that are exactly the same in both vehicles.
Old 06-30-11, 12:49 PM
grabber2
Racer

you dont understand I think - GS350 AWD has been rated as not reliable for stereo issues and GS350 RWD has been rated as reliable by same magazine.

Sure that squeak when it is very cold outside was annoying to me but that was pretty much the only thing wrong with my car.. IS had some issues too, I remember that old IS300 for instance had those CD players that would burn out, which was IMHO much larger issue than a squeak.

But nevertheless, what I and many other GS owners dont understand is why CR reccomends RWD and doesnt reccomend AWD based on things that are exactly the same in both vehicles.
The following comment was base on my own research only. (Nothing against the GS)
I was researching for GS350 AWD and my dealer friend helped me on checking their service history. We checked about 5 of them (2007 & 2008 with 55K~87K miles) and the result surprise me.

Beside the small stuff, I found 2 of them have had drivetrain & transmission serviced, 1 had drivetain serviced, the other 2 were fine. I have no idea what kind of driven/transmission service it did, but surely not a fluid change.

After this research, my friend advise me to stay away from used GS 350 AWD. I really like the ext & int design of the GS but I'm NOT getting NEW since I change car almost every 1~2 year and the huge depreciation of NEW just not worth for me.
Old 06-30-11, 12:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by grabber2
The following comment was base on my own research only. (Nothing against the GS)
I was researching for GS350 AWD and my dealer friend helped me on checking their service history. We checked about 5 of them (2007 & 2008 with 55K~87K miles) and the result surprise me.

Beside the small stuff, I found 2 of them have had drivetrain & transmission serviced, 1 had drivetain serviced, the other 2 were fine. I have no idea what kind of driven/transmission service it did, but surely not a fluid change.

After this research, my friend advise me to stay away from used GS 350 AWD. I really like the ext & int design of the GS but I'm NOT getting NEW since I change car almost every 1~2 year and the huge depreciation of NEW just not worth for me.
well i dont understand why dealer didnt check on what exact service (there were 2 recalls for all GS's), but CR specifically states stereo issues and in forums we have no AWD specific issues with GS, and there are hundreds on owners here.

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)