Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 10:51 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[The new Camry] looks styled to sell. Hopefully with Toyota's new drive for "build quality" the interior has the appropriate improvements. The outside looks conservative but with just enough sophistication to please the average buyer. That Hybrid front end looks a little tacky, but then remember the Sonata Hybrid?

Speaking of the Sonata, I think Hyundai is being very aggressive in their drive to stand out; and perhaps already too much so in the styling department. When young people buy cars, "some"...not "all"...want style and excitement. The masses, especially as they age, want basic transportation and user friendliness. As their purchasing power grows to be able to afford new cars, many grow out of wanting "amazing spaceship" interiors and start to want a warm, friendly environment that makes them feel welcome and relaxed after a long day at work. Aggressive zig-zag lines do not always please and soothe--they may turn a large portion of buyers off. The new Elantra interior is pushing the boundaries of my taste.

Not saying the new Camry is perfect--we haven't seen the interior or any test drives yet--but I think if rising major players like Hyundai want to remain competitive, their mainstream designs should eventually mature and become more restrained--even if it means some of us self-proclaimed savvy folk will dismiss them as boring. Even GM, for example, does not have such aggressive designs in its new cars (Cruze, Malibu). And..........I think I have digressed.
Old 08-02-11, 11:09 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

To those complaining that the Camry could be more stylish: What makes you the ultimate judge on what has style or not? Just because you don't find it stylish doesn't mean the buyers of the car or others in general feel the same way. A lot of people like the clean, inoffensive styling the Camry offers. I can guarantee you that 400K a year don't buy a car they don't think looks good.
Old 08-03-11, 01:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Wait till you see the front air intake of the SE. It's base Infiniti G sedan, with the mini central opening.
So far, the new Camry is a mish-mosh of many different cars that we've all seen before. I see current Corolla the most in the front and sides, and last gen Civic/Subaru in the rear. Solara above was a very rounded bird, not squared off and blocky like the new "Camery."
Camery... what many type, now the name is sticking. =D
Old 08-03-11, 07:15 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
To those complaining that the Camry could be more stylish: What makes you the ultimate judge on what has style or not? Just because you don't find it stylish doesn't mean the buyers of the car or others in general feel the same way. A lot of people like the clean, inoffensive styling the Camry offers. I can guarantee you that 400K a year don't buy a car they don't think looks good.
Everyone has a right to an opinion do they not? No one is claiming to speak for the whole mass. It's nothing personal against your own taste, though some seem to take it that way.

The car is conservatively styled. I don't see how that can even be disputed.

And of course people like it because it is just what they need. No more no less. But the "best selling" thing gets old. McDonalds sells more hamburgers than anyone else but I can make a burger at home that shames a McDonalds burger into oblivion. Toyota is playing it extremely safe with the Camry because they realize how vitally important the car is a product.

Last edited by speedflex; 08-03-11 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-03-11, 07:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Wait till you see the front air intake of the SE. It's base Infiniti G sedan, with the mini central opening.
So far, the new Camry is a mish-mosh of many different cars that we've all seen before. I see current Corolla the most in the front and sides, and last gen Civic/Subaru in the rear. Solara above was a very rounded bird, not squared off and blocky like the new "Camery."
Camery... what many type, now the name is sticking. =D
Look closely at specifically the Solara grille and headlights, compared to the 2012 Camry grille and headlights. The similarities are undeniable. 1st gen Solara has a pretty "sharp" grille and sleek headlights, very similar to the 2012 Camry.

In the rear, I see a mixture of gen 5 and gen 6 Camry taillights. I also see a family resemblance to the Corolla.

Speaking of which, the fact it looks a bit similar to the Corolla, why is that bad? They share a family resemblance, which makes perfect sense.
Old 08-03-11, 11:02 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Look closely at specifically the Solara grille and headlights, compared to the 2012 Camry grille and headlights. The similarities are undeniable. 1st gen Solara has a pretty "sharp" grille and sleek headlights, very similar to the 2012 Camry.

In the rear, I see a mixture of gen 5 and gen 6 Camry taillights. I also see a family resemblance to the Corolla.

Speaking of which, the fact it looks a bit similar to the Corolla, why is that bad? They share a family resemblance, which makes perfect sense.
Family resemblances are good only when the lesser model looks like the bigger model. Not the other way around.
Old 08-03-11, 11:14 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the Malibu gets a pass, but it looks like a bigger Cruze. The Cruze was available before right? Right. So throw that comment out the window. Toyota bashing on a Toyota site, so funny!
Old 08-03-11, 11:44 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The bottom line is the Camry is fine. In its last year, the model so many people like to beat up and hate on still competes well in class and still is #1 selling in class. It just kicked all these other cars butts last month, just a few months after the Earthquake.

Midsize Sedans/Coupes

Camry - 27,016
Altima - 21,340
Sonata - 20,884
Malibu - 19,529
Fusion - 19,318
Accord - 18,308

I really don't understand the style thing. I know its no knock-out but the CAmry has gotten more stylish every generation mostly. I mean the 1997 and 2003 or so versions were as bland as it got. They added "some" styling.

The Malibu is nice but I don't find it a knock-out, I like the simple lines of the current model. The Sonata is a blatant Mercedes CLS knock-off that is much uglier. If that is stylish, then I'd rather vanilla. The Optima is the best looking to me ONLY with the 18" wheels, in base mode it looks ungainly.

Style is not the main selling point for most people in this class.
Those number look real close. LOL at the accord. Like I said the market has caught up. We will see how long the lead lasts.
Old 08-03-11, 12:45 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Official teaser photo tweeted by Toyota. It definitely is the SE model with the honeycomb grille and blacked out headlights. Also, note the custom bumper.

Last edited by LexusMan77; 08-03-11 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 01:03 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.speedlux.com/30925/

Much better without the chrome grille IMO
Old 08-03-11, 01:11 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS

That pic cuts off a chunk,

The lower front fascia looks pretty bad, I won't be surprised if it ends up being a knock off of BMW down there - it sure seems that way. Still I don't really care about this car, as long as these new Toyotas will end up looking different enough from Lexus. I couldn't care less whether they're ugly or how they sell and I'm happy that this new design direction seems to be even less similar to Lexus' design direction than today's cars.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-03-11 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 01:18 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally, no more tacked on body kits!
Old 08-03-11, 02:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm liking that a lot...looking forward to seeing the SE !
Old 08-03-11, 02:41 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS

and the gaudy chrome fog light trim.
Old 08-03-11, 02:42 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Does look a lot better without the hybrid's chrome.

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)