Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 10:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Just a teaser for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caYPb...embedded#at=30
Old 06-30-11, 10:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I already don't like it. The number one thing that has made the current Camry look decent are it's slick, tapered headlights. Just about every car that's had thin headlights like these has been a success. The pic above shows bloated, truckish, Ford 500, droopy headlights, which is played out and dated. Hope the rest pleases more.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 07-01-11 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-30-11, 11:04 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

Interesting, so this photo was the real deal.
Old 06-30-11, 11:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

thanks for the cam-er-ee teaser. Good driving for everyone!

That presentation was wayyy too scripted and unnatural feeling.
Old 07-01-11, 12:25 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Correct - Rav4 will be here early next year. I heard good things about all the products that were shown, but unfortunately did hear that the FRS has been noticeably toned down for production from the concept we last saw. Supposedly the front end is a bit different and obviously there are more tame wheels and rear valences. I think the comment about Avalon vs. Lexus was in regard to sedans, as there is no way it could look better than the LFA!

The folks that I spoke to were ranting and raving about the Avalon, and were pleased with the Camry, but legitimately excited about the Avalon. The updated US Camry supposedly looks better than the concept that was shown last year, but is still not significantly different from the current car.
What Camry concept?

Yes, the new Camry is not significantly different than the 6th gen model, but why should it be? Toyota is not Hyundai . They respect tradition and would not want to alienate current Camry owners. As I said, the exterior is an evolution of the 6th gen exterior with a few Mark X styling cues .

Well I can't wait to see the new Avalon based on these comments. Also anxiously await the new Rav4, as I've seen a very grainy prototype shot of it, and it looked good. Futuristic and sporty, but still an elegant Toyota design.

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Most people have since jumped ship to Hyundai/Kia. They'll be bad
Who are "most" people?
Where are you making up this info from? If we look at the facts, which is market share and sales numbers, then Toyota over the last several years has held on to most of its market share even as Hyundai has grown and increased sales.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Very close, but that is a poor shot/render from a bad angle. The front is very close, but that sides are a bit different. You can already see from Toyota's official teaser shot the render is a bit off with the headlights.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I already don't like it. The number one thing that has made the current Camry look decent are it's slick, tapered headlights. Just about every car that's had thin headlights like these has been a success. The pic above shows bloated, truckish, Ford 500, droppy headlights, which is played out and dated. Hope the rest pleases more.
I wouldn't be so quick to make premature assumptions. The headlights are still relatively slim and tapered. Not as much as the 6th gen, but close. They are definitely not droppy, truckish, or bloated.

That teaser shot is from another poor angle that doesn't show the full headlights, especially within the context of the rest of the car. I wish Toyota would stop releasing PR shots taken from poor angles or with poor field of view. Toyota needs to change some of their PR photographers.

Best way I can describe the headlights is that they look "sharp", especially on the SE.

Originally Posted by RXSF
thanks for the cam-er-ee teaser. Good driving for everyone!

That presentation was wayyy too scripted and unnatural feeling.
English is obviously not Akio Toyoda's first language. Yes it was scripted, but I would give the guy a break considering his limited English skills.

It's inspiring IMO to see Toyota's CEO personally making a video about the new Camry. The upcoming ad campaign for the Camry will be a true blitz, a real onslaught. I don't think Toyota has ever done 40 commercials before for a single new vehicle launch, as far as I can remember. That is just massive.
Old 07-01-11, 01:28 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

In case anyone is wondering, I feel the interior in the 2012 Camry looks better than the Sonata, and from what I've heard the interior will be better quality than the Sonata.

Also, here is an actual 2012 Camry in camo, compared to the teaser shot. You can also spot minor differences with the black and white render. You can clearly see on the camo car the headlights will still be somewhat slim and tapered.

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)-l9b2w.jpg

Compared to:

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 07-01-11 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-01-11, 02:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

toyota's new IQ/LFA based clues have slim headlights with zig zag patter and i dont think that will change for other new models as well... FRS is getting that too.
Old 07-01-11, 06:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota did a driving comparison event between 7th gen Camry, Sonata, Accord and Fusion at the dealer meeting and from what I understand, it would have been a more fair comparison if they had included the TL, LaCrosse, ES350 and some entry level luxury models. Interior and driving dynamics of the Camry seem to be in another league among its competitors.

You might think, "Well, of course Toyota dealers are going to like the Camry," but you'd be surprised with how critical these people can be. The Camry, no surprise, is the car that Toyota dealers depend on and they know that it has to be spot on and nothing less. These are probably the biggest critics of the car, and they absolutely loved it.

People will look at the 7th gen Camry and probably say that they didn't do enough to differentiate the design but most of the R&D money has been spent on quality - inside the cabin, under the hood, and at the wheels. Completely new interior and I'm hearing that the XLE has a leather stitched dash. 3GR has been updated a bit and now produces a bit more power and 2-3 better MPG, same for the 4cyl. Suspensions have been completely revamped for more control and feedback (even on non SE models) and the cars have been vibration tested for soundness and quality up to 125MPH for both 4cyl and V6. I've also heard that the body panel gaps are tighter than any Lexus sedan in production right now.
Old 07-01-11, 07:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Toyota did a driving comparison event between 7th gen Camry, Sonata, Accord and Fusion at the dealer meeting and from what I understand, it would have been a more fair comparison if they had included the TL, LaCrosse, ES350 and some entry level luxury models. Interior and driving dynamics of the Camry seem to be in another league among its competitors.

You might think, "Well, of course Toyota dealers are going to like the Camry," but you'd be surprised with how critical these people can be. The Camry, no surprise, is the car that Toyota dealers depend on and they know that it has to be spot on and nothing less. These are probably the biggest critics of the car, and they absolutely loved it.

People will look at the 7th gen Camry and probably say that they didn't do enough to differentiate the design but most of the R&D money has been spent on quality - inside the cabin, under the hood, and at the wheels. Completely new interior and I'm hearing that the XLE has a leather stitched dash. 3GR has been updated a bit and now produces a bit more power and 2-3 better MPG, same for the 4cyl. Suspensions have been completely revamped for more control and feedback (even on non SE models) and the cars have been vibration tested for soundness and quality up to 125MPH for both 4cyl and V6. I've also heard that the body panel gaps are tighter than any Lexus sedan in production right now.
a. I used to have privilege to attend these... most of those people dont lie because most of employees shift a lot so many are also fans of other brands privately :-). And those things are insanely cool, who else gets to test 7-8 competitors back to back in the same day? just automotive gearhead's dream. This is also why i want to throw up a little every time i hear Passat and Mondeo are best cars in the class :-).

b. I could already see on that teaser pic that it has lexus quality exterior panels, you can see it there how tight tolerances are.
Old 07-01-11, 08:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Hopefully, this isn't complete rumors because the last gen Camry wasn't built all that well. I had 3 Camry Hybrids spanning a 4 year period and they progressively got worse in panel gaps, fitting, etc. My 1st Japan built Hybrid was built the best.
generally our european toyota's have been built to the higher standard than other vehicles in class, so i am always a bit surprised to see US factories have not the same tight panel gaps, etc.
Old 07-01-11, 08:26 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

That camo Camry almost looks like it has a version of the Lexus LF-GH grille style.
Old 07-01-11, 08:47 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Interior will obviously have Entune. What you've heard from other forums is there as well, including the multi-colored leather seats, and the stitched dash. Obviously not all Camry models will get the high-end options. Most of these will definitely be on the XLE though. On the other hand, even the base model will be improved in quality and materials compared to the current 6th gen base model.
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
As I said, the exterior is an evolution of the 6th gen exterior with a few Mark X styling cues .

Best way I can describe the headlights is that they look "sharp", especially on the SE.
I like the sound of that. I may have to get rid of my Camry for this new one.
Old 07-01-11, 09:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched the teaser video above...two things:

1) First thing Akio mentions as being improved is handling

2) Even the panel gaps from just that shot look extremely narrow. Nice work!
Old 07-01-11, 10:39 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Default 2012 Toyota Camry teased by Akio Toyoda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgYeP..._embedded#t=0s
Old 07-01-11, 10:47 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Will the Camry SE still have the usual glued on body kit?

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)