Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 11:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

New teaser from Toyota...

Last edited by spwolf; 08-10-11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

those are quite tight and even gaps... also doesnt really match old Camry's trunk at all
Old 08-10-11, 11:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

That's an ugly hybrid taillight to match the ugly oversized chrome fog light trim.
I hope the XLE has a nicer taillight and the SE blackout fog light trim.
Old 08-10-11, 11:43 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hardly a teaser considering we've seen the whole thing.
Old 08-10-11, 11:46 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)-d0im5.png

At this stage in the game I thought Toyota had learned more about how important differentiation between Lexus and Toyota design is. Here's hoping the actual production GS won't resemble this thing too much.
Old 08-10-11, 12:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankfully, those two pictures look nothing alike IMO. Camry tail light is pretty ugly and looks like a Subie Legacy.
Old 08-10-11, 01:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

At this stage in the game I thought Toyota had learned more about how important differentiation between Lexus and Toyota design is. Here's hoping the actual production GS won't resemble this thing too much.
obviously there will be some shared clues, they come from the same parent company after-all, but i really dont think they look anything alike.
Old 08-10-11, 07:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interior is looking really good in those latest pics . Eager to see high-res pics of the XLE interior with leather-stitched dash.

Looks like the new hybrid will indeed be a game-changer. Hyundai has absolutely no answer to Toyota when it comes to hybrids right now, and that will continue to be the case it seems.

Originally Posted by speedflex
Noone is claiming to speak for the entire market. I know I didn't. I've said, in nearly every post I've made in this thread, that the car has been and will continue to be a huge success. But for the love of... why can't it be said that the Camry, almost more than any other car is as vanilla as they come. Not everyone wants that. Some people, (Yes, even those who need a family sedan) want something a little more stylish and emotive. I'm just shocked at how utterly unimaginative the new car is.

Just because someone needs something affordable and with 4 doors doesn't mean they have to be dead inside.
Please answer this question: have you driven the current Camry SE at all? Your comments about the current Camry seriously lack credibility if you haven't driven the current Camry SE.

So you then are saying the Camry is MORE vanilla than the new Passat? Really? Are you seriously making such a claim?

Originally Posted by speedflex
P.S. The 2013 Avalon is said to be stunning. I guess that customer is fundamentally different from the Camry buyer. Mr. Toyoda said that more emotional cars were coming... but I guess he meant, except for the Camry.
Wow, so you've already driven the new 2012 Camry, and examined it in detail to say that it's not emotional?

Wait for the reviews, official specs and pics, and then judge the new Camry. Otherwise such statements do nothing but stir the pot here on CL.

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Every Sonata and Elantra on dealer lots is sold or is about to be sold, that's how much demand Hyundai has now.

I've been looking for two months for an unsold Elantra to just merely take it for a spin. Guess what? Everytime I get there, it's either sold or almost sold.
Is that just your personal anecdotal observation of your area or do you have any factual proof to back this up?

Perhaps you should come up here to Canada. I've seen several Hyundai dealerships up here with tons of Elantras on the lot. Elantras in this area are freely available to test drive and buy.

I see you own a BMW and your username clearly identifies your admiration for German automakers. What brings you to ClubLexus?

You mean the brand new already outdated Yaris that is supposed to be out soon with 4 speed automatics and 5 spd manuals? Hyundai has a direct injection engine with 6spd autos/manuals.
I wonder how reliable those rushed Hyundai powertrains will be in the long run? Toyota has powertrain upgrades coming in the next few years, very soon in fact. Then we'll see who's "outdated".

Either way, sadly, the competition is going to be making better subcompact cars than Toyota.
Better in terms of paper specs perhaps, but better in terms of reliability, ride quality, real world fuel economy, and refinement? That certainly remains to be seen.

Not sure what you're talking about, but the two look almost nothing alike.
Old 08-10-11, 07:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Looks a lot better close up than the leaked pics suggest. Other photos had me feeling that they already looked dated. This pic shows a thoroughly modern tail lamp.

There's absolutely no similarity. They look like they come from different planets.
Old 08-11-11, 10:06 AM
venom21
Instructor

SE:
Old 08-11-11, 10:10 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

lol. that does look like a bigger corolla.
Old 08-11-11, 10:10 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually find that the new Camry is sporty looking in a very clean minimalistic way. A type of design that will look good a number of years from now. The new interior is a huge step up.
Old 08-11-11, 10:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
lol. that does look like a bigger corolla.
looks very similar to new Avensis... if Corolla looked like that, i would buy it tomorrow :-)
Old 08-11-11, 10:16 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Wow the US-spec'd interior looks so much cheaper than the JDM interior, especially with those uncovered cup holders.
Old 08-11-11, 10:17 AM
venom21
Instructor

6.8 L/100KM combined for the 4cyl
8.1 L/100KM combined for the V6

This is on the Canadian test cycle though, which is quite different than the U.S one.

EDIT: Looking at the page I can make out the new readings

OLD: 7.5 L/100KM combined for 4cyl
8.7 L/100KM combined for V6

Last edited by venom21; 08-11-11 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)