Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 07:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)

June 29, 2011
Toyota Confirms Highlights of Annual National Dealer Meeting

LAS VEGAS, NV (June 29, 2011) -- Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. confirmed that its annual national dealer meeting took place here today. The private meeting was attended by representatives from Toyota’s 1,233 U.S. dealers. Speakers included Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) President Akio Toyoda, Toyota Motor North America, Inc. (TMA) President and COO Yoshi Inaba, TMS President and COO Jim Lentz, TMS Senior Vice President, Automotive Operations Don Esmond, Toyota Division Group Vice President and General Manager Bob Carter and Vice President-Scion Jack Hollis.

Mr. Toyoda acknowledged the tremendous disaster that struck Japan on March 11, 2011 and thanked dealers for their extraordinary support and donations. Together, Toyota dealers and friends have contributed $11.5 million to Japan disaster relief.

Mr. Toyoda emphasized his focus on product and the company’s core philosophies that will make Toyota better than ever. Other themes from his speech included:
  1. The all-new 2012 Camry and Camry Hybrid. Designed to meet the changing needs of the 21st Century driver, the new Camry will provide technologically advanced features, a contemporary design inside and out, improved performance and refined ride and handling.
  2. Future vision of mobility. New technology offerings like the all-new RAV4 EV and telematics advancements stemming from the Microsoft alliance will help make Toyota’s vehicles even better.
  3. Greater regional autonomy. Calling it his “most important goal,” Mr. Toyoda stated he will empower those with local knowledge to make their own decisions.

Looking forward, Mr. Toyoda said the company is more committed and more passionate than ever about being a leader in the automotive industry, adding, “We must earn it with our actions and with our words, with great products and great service and with genuine affection for our customers and our communities.”

Highlights from other executive speeches included:

Recovery from the disaster has far exceeded expectations. In Japan, production is expected to return to normal levels after July. In North America, eight locally-built models, including Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, Matrix, Sequoia, Sienna and Venza returned to 100 percent production in early June. The remaining four North-American built models, including Tundra, Tacoma, RAV4 and Lexus RX, will return to 100 percent beginning in September.

Prius family launch remains on track. Prius dominates the hybrid market with over 50% market share. With the launch of Prius family, Toyota is capitalizing on that brand strength and providing all the benefits of Prius in a variety of vehicles. Prius v, which arrives this fall, has SUV like cargo capability, nearly 60% more than the current Prius, but still is expected to deliver estimated EPA fuel economy ratings of 42 mpg combined. The Prius c compact, arriving in the spring of 2012, offers expressive styling in a city-friendly vehicle that we believe will be the most fuel efficient hybrid in the U.S.

Advanced technology vehicles. New, advanced vehicles arriving in 2012 include the Prius plug-in hybrid, RAV4 EV and Scion iQ EV. Toyota has committed to putting a fuel cell vehicle on the road by 2015, and is researching bio-fuels and next-generation materials to help make vehicles that will be lighter, safe and more fuel-efficient.

Investment in North America. Our new plant in Mississippi opening this fall will build 150,000 Corollas per year, create 2,000 jobs and represents Toyota’s faith in the North American market.

State-of-the-art multimedia. Toyota’s new Entune system, which will feature simple, seamless functionality and is compatible with virtually every smart phone, will debut this fall in the new Prius v and Camry.

Courtesy: TMS USA

Last edited by flipside909; 06-29-11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 07:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

now, did they see the camry? :-)
Old 06-29-11, 07:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

(i remember when at dealer council at Barcelona, we were shown Avensis, 8 months ahead of unveil)
Old 06-29-11, 07:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Went behind the curtain at work again today.That Mark X is VERY close.Same head lights ,trunk on Camry a little higher and flater.That is the interior.The Camry we had to look at today was an XLE.It did have multi-colored leather seats and a leather dash pad with double stitching.I think the interior is a vast improvement over my 10.

here we go again

:-)
Old 06-29-11, 07:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what the 2012 Camry looks like. It looks good, muscular, yet elegant without being gimmicky. I think I actually might like it more than the gen 6 exterior design. Interior is a big improvement quality-wise. Features-wise it's a big improvement too. Eagerly awaiting for Toyota to officially show it already.

Toyota's product onslaught is about to begin. The competition needs to watch its back.
Old 06-29-11, 07:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

although I doubt it will have Mark X interior, it is very expensive car. I mean we know Toyota can design great and expensive feeling interiors, just look at Lexus... question is at what price :-).
Old 06-29-11, 07:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I know what the 2012 Camry looks like. It looks good, muscular, yet elegant without being gimmicky. I think I actually might like it more than the gen 6 exterior design. Interior is a big improvement quality-wise. Features-wise it's a big improvement too. Eagerly awaiting for Toyota to officially show it already.

Toyota's product onslaught is about to begin. The competition needs to watch its back.
eh... engines, mpg's, interior? more, more, more... hey if I could spill the beans on euro models.............
Old 06-29-11, 08:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota plans media blitz for Camry launch this fall

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...110629845/1448

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Toyota Motor Corp., seeking to rebuild U.S. sales momentum for its flagship Camry sedan, plans to position the redesigned car as "smart, safe and worry-free" during a fall media blitz, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Toyota executives told a meeting of 1,223 dealers in Las Vegas on Wednesday that a massive media campaign will be used as part of the vehicle's launch and it will include 40 new commercials, according to the report.

The newspaper, quoting a dealer who asked not to be named, said the campaign would begin in October.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1Qj00sl65
Toyota plans to start selling 20 new or redesigned products in the next two years, 13 of which will be all-new or significantly updated, as it tries to rebound from market share losses caused by product recalls last year and vehicle shortages stemming from the March 11 earthquake in Japan, this person said.

The new models represent a move toward new, flashy styling pushed by Mr. Toyoda, who spoke to the dealers. Mr. Toyoda emphasized that Toyota would attempt to move away from the conservative designs that have been the target of customer criticisms in the past, and made it clear that North America would become more independent from Japan in terms of control over product design and manufacturing.

The new models in the pipeline include a redesigned Avalon sedan; a compact hybrid called the Prius c; and the FRS, a sports car for the company's Scion youth brand, the person who attended the meeting said. Toyota also showed the dealers battery-powered versions of the RAV4 sport-utility vehicle and the IQ, a subcompact.
40 new commercials just for the new Camry! Like I said, product onslaught . Competition beware.
Old 06-29-11, 08:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
eh... engines, mpg's, interior? more, more, more... hey if I could spill the beans on euro models.............
I don't know about engines, or fuel economy. All I know is that powertrains have been improved, performance has been improved, and fuel economy and emissions have been improved. I don't know details because those are very tightly guarded. I only know what the exterior and interior look like, and that the SE will be quite sporty, and SE looks sporty without being gaudy. The exterior is a mix of/evolution of current gen 6 styling cues and some Mark X styling cues.

Interior will obviously have Entune. What you've heard from other forums is there as well, including the multi-colored leather seats, and the stitched dash. Not sure if the dash will be real leather or not. Obviously not all Camry models will get the high-end options. Most of these will definitely be on the XLE though. On the other hand, even the base model will be improved in quality and materials compared to the current 6th gen base model.
Old 06-29-11, 09:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No mention of the new Rav4, which was also shown today .

I'm told the new Avalon is "unbelievable" and one person even said "better than any current Lexus design." Toyota flat out said they're sick of the old man image with this car and are serious about changing it.

From what I heard, Avalon stole the show even over Camry, FRS, Rav4 and Prius family .
Old 06-29-11, 10:07 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

I'm told the new Avalon is "unbelievable" and one person even said "better than any current Lexus design." Toyota flat out said they're sick of the old man image with this car and are serious about changing it.

From what I heard, Avalon stole the show even over Camry, FRS, Rav4 and Prius family .
Better than any current Lexus design? That is a big statement right there. That sets a high standard for the next generation Lexus designs. So when is the Avalon coming out?
Old 06-29-11, 10:21 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

So will the new Camry still possess a lifeless soul and numb steering? I have yet found a Camry that has caused me to do a double take..
Old 06-29-11, 10:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Actually, the quote about 20 new or redesigned products over the next 2 years would include the Rav4 I think . Rav4 I heard looks great too and is great.

So much for all the critics who claimed the Avalon would be killed off .

Maybe Avalon might have stolen the show in terms of being the biggest surprise, but Camry, FRS, and Rav4 are all supposed to be very strong products, along with the next-gen Corolla. I am suspicious of the "better than any current Lexus design" quote as there is no way the new Avalon looks better than the LFA . Camry I know is a very strong product.
Old 06-29-11, 11:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The Avalon just got a heavy facelift, yet your saying they just showed a new one? Hmmmm. The Camry's facelift has been out for years, and now they've finally shown the new model. Something is out of wack here.
Old 06-30-11, 12:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Avalon just got a heavy facelift, yet your saying they just showed a new one? Hmmmm. The Camry's facelift has been out for years, and now they've finally shown the new model. Something is out of wack here.
Toyota quite a while back did say they were changing how they do mid-cycle refreshes, to make them more significant and less minor than before, while also slightly extending life cycles of their models. Perhaps this was part of it. Extending life cycles slightly helps Toyota to ensure high quality, while more significant mid-cycle model changes allows models to stay fresh and competitive.

That new Avalon may not arrive until 2013 or 2014.

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!)