Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Scion tC "High Voltage" release series 7.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 01:21 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate Scion because it's existence is absolutely irrelevant. Scion represents some stupid, idiotic misguided fear that you can't get young people into Toyotas and that is simply NOT true. It's a waste of money and resources that could be used for Toyota & Lexus.

Because of Scion's stupid existence, we're never going to get sports cars like the Celica, MR2, and Supra back because if Toyota ever brings them back, they'll be badged as stupid Scions in NA with even more stupid alpha-numeric garbage names that have no meaning, history, heritage, etc. Scion is a poser brand that needs to go away. Rebadge the tC as the Paseo, keep the xB and actually make it decent again, and kill the ugly xDud. The FT86 comes to the US as a Toyota like it SHOULD (hopefully Celica) and Scion's whole existence fades from everyone's memory and is never talked about again.
Old 07-05-11, 09:03 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone would want to forget the Paseo. Also the Paseo is a class smaller in size. The tC is more of a Celica or Corolla coupe.

It would've been nice to have brought back a nameplate with heritage with the FT86. I do think the argument that Scion is supposed to be the youthful or sporty brand is a poor excuse, although according to data it's working (for youngest average age at least).
Old 07-05-11, 11:44 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

The Paseo was based of the Tercel (1.5L and tiny). . . you could argue that the successor to the Paseo was the 2dr Echo, which was alter dropped altogether. There really is no modern day equivalent. . . maybe the Daihatsu Copen, but that's slotted 1 class below. The Copen is a SMALL car!

Not that I disagree with the overall points made, but 2.5L and gigantic wheelbase puts it in between a Camry Coupe and a Celica.
Old 07-06-11, 06:38 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
The Paseo was based of the Tercel (1.5L and tiny). . . you could argue that the successor to the Paseo was the 2dr Echo, which was alter dropped altogether. There really is no modern day equivalent. . . maybe the Daihatsu Copen, but that's slotted 1 class below. The Copen is a SMALL car!

Not that I disagree with the overall points made, but 2.5L and gigantic wheelbase puts it in between a Camry Coupe and a Celica.
I think the closest modern day interpretation would be the Yaris 3 door (in terms of size). Although not a true 2 door coupe like the Paseo it's in the subcompact class and has two conventional doors (rather than the sedan body of the Tercel/Yaris sedan).

The Celica in nature was much more sporty though. My first car was a 92 Celica GT-S and it was so fun and easy to toss around. My tC on the other hand is really more of an econobox with sporty styling and shorter gearing to give it that "sport" feel. The stock suspension is soft. Although I guess you could compare the tC to the lower end trims of the Celica which generally were the same idea, econobox with sporty styling.
Old 07-06-11, 12:09 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I hate Scion because it's existence is absolutely irrelevant. Scion represents some stupid, idiotic misguided fear that you can't get young people into Toyotas and that is simply NOT true. It's a waste of money and resources that could be used for Toyota & Lexus.

Because of Scion's stupid existence, we're never going to get sports cars like the Celica, MR2, and Supra back because if Toyota ever brings them back, they'll be badged as stupid Scions in NA with even more stupid alpha-numeric garbage names that have no meaning, history, heritage, etc. Scion is a poser brand that needs to go away. Rebadge the tC as the Paseo, keep the xB and actually make it decent again, and kill the ugly xDud. The FT86 comes to the US as a Toyota like it SHOULD (hopefully Celica) and Scion's whole existence fades from everyone's memory and is never talked about again.
Not at all, its doing exactly what it was meant to do, get drivers introduced to the Toyota brand. If you feel thats not the case, I'd be happy to show you pictures of my tC or my friends tC and then show you pictures of the Lexus's we both went out and purchased after selling the Scions.

Maybe you should gain some actual knowledge on a subject before spouting off at the mouth.
Old 07-06-11, 01:00 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Not at all, its doing exactly what it was meant to do, get drivers introduced to the Toyota brand. If you feel thats not the case, I'd be happy to show you pictures of my tC or my friends tC and then show you pictures of the Lexus's we both went out and purchased after selling the Scions.

Maybe you should gain some actual knowledge on a subject before spouting off at the mouth.
There is absolutely no reason why Toyota has to have a seperate brand to sell cars to get people "into the Toyota brand" like you claim. If so, where's Nissan's "youth" brand? Honda's? Hyundai? Kia? Mazda? Why is it the largest automaker in the world, in its largest & most important market, has to have a pathetic irrelevant "youth" brand to attract younger buyers when these aforementioned brands can do it successfully on their own? Scion is a waste of resources that could be put to better use.

What sporty car does the TOYOTA brand sell to attract younger buyers? The Corolla S? Toyota has absolutely NOTHING for younger buyers and the average age of the brand is creeping up. Scion is not needed, what's needed is a serious boost to Toyota's image and to get our damn sports cars back.
Old 07-06-11, 01:02 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt

I didn't want the tC to be christened Celica because the Celica was a far better car. Lighter, far better looking, much more nimble. The tC is a bloated Avensis coupe that drives like a boat.