Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai on not creating a prestige brand: "Only Toyota was successful"

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 11:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hyundai is just in a favorable situation on all accounts, and they are capitalizing on it. They are paying low wages to their factory workers, the exchange rate between their currency and USD is very favorable to them, and they don't spend much on R&D. Because of that they can afford to steal talented and knowledgeable engineers from other makers, and at the same time they can underprice the competition or offer more features for the same buck.

They are going to be on a roll for a while, and it is going to be very hard for non-premium makes to compete with them, and even semi-premium brands like Volvo, Acura, Audi and Infiniti will be getting hurt.
Old 07-08-11, 12:15 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
..., and they don't spend much on R&D. Because of that they can afford to steal talented and knowledgeable engineers from other makers, ....
That is a contradiction. You don't hire top engineering talent if you want to skimp on R&D. I think they have been able to leverage existing technology to their advantage for the very factors that you point out without having to invest heavily into R&D. They are now in a position to invest in the future by hiring top talent. It remains to be seen if they can capitalize on that.
Old 07-11-11, 11:38 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
It's better to have a 10 year 100,000 warranty than not having it. Original owner or not.

Are you referring to the Genesis Sedans (and Coupes)?? Hyundai used could mean any year range, anywhere from 1990's to 2004~5? So you are comparing that to the current vehicles made by Toyota? You gotta compare fairly, year to year. This is important.

Anyways, I still probably wouldn't buy Hyundai Genesis yet as it doesn't meet my requirements such as styling, size, and handling. For example, if I were to look for a sportscar, I would not get a Genesis Coupe. Nissan 370z will rape it in every performance category... plus it looks better to me. As for Genesis Sedan, it's just too big for me... Unless Hyundai comes out something really nice that competes BMW 335i (for performance) and IS350 (for quality) and have equal build quality and soft touch inviting interiors I think I'm gonna hold on to it.

Well the Genesis coupe will be getting a refresh early next year and there is a 3-series/IS type car in development currently most likely using the Sonata Turbo's 274 hp 2.0T as a base engine, the 333 hp 3.8 V6 from the base Genesis sedan and the 8-speed automatic.
Old 04-30-17, 05:17 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I cannot believe you just compared a Kia Amanti to an LS430. Seriously?
Lol, I know... I thought the same thing. They were really trying their best to knock it off. Very similar interiors plus most of the same features and attributes plus some you wouldn't expect (the Amanti is quieter) but it still comes across super cheap compared to the LS 430. Not to mention that it's under powered, never met a curve in the road that it wanted to hug, and looks like an E-Class, S-Type, Chrysler 300, and Lincoln Towncar had a baby.
Old 05-01-17, 05:17 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Hyundai is just in a favorable situation on all accounts, and they are capitalizing on it. They are paying low wages to their factory workers, the exchange rate between their currency and USD is very favorable to them, and they don't spend much on R&D. Because of that they can afford to steal talented and knowledgeable engineers from other makers, and at the same time they can underprice the competition or offer more features for the same buck.

They are going to be on a roll for a while, and it is going to be very hard for non-premium makes to compete with them, and even semi-premium brands like Volvo, Acura, Audi and Infiniti will be getting hurt.
what makes you say that? they have been on a downward trend and recently let go of their CEO due to declining sales and not enough foresight to product plan their sedan heavy lineup