Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LC is world reknown for being one of the toughest SOBs ever made. It is REVERED worldwide. It is THE ONLY vehicle to go to the North AND South poles. When you buy a LC, you pretty much buy an indestructible tank.
Agreed. The LC can probably go anywhere the G-Wagen can. But, to me, the G-Wagen's body, sheet metal, and chassis seemed a little tougher. I don't know much about the G-Wagen's reliability, though (few have been sold in America, not enough for a Consumer Reports' database). But we both know that the LC is reliable.
Old 07-05-11, 08:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Landcruiser, Landrover, Gelandewagen are all a bunch of tough looking sissies. When going gets tough, their sissy capitalist butts cry for the commies to come to their rescue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=collSEcc79Y

That being said, the Landcruiser easily trumps LR and G/GL in materials quality and plushness. Landrovers have always felt incredibly cheap and flimsy, and the assembly quality was just awful. Its only with most recent facelifts that they have more or less improved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6lBig8gdfM
Old 07-05-11, 08:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Double Lexus fail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmtySN6ynQ
Old 07-05-11, 09:05 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of the video of the Range Rover with it's tires spinning endlessly while it goes nowhere on perfectly flat terrain
Old 07-06-11, 02:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
GX is an Land Cruiser... just needs mud tires for mud... lol.

you would be surprised how many rich folks dont even change tires during the winter on LC's, thinking... it is LC... it should go everywhere, anytime, on stock tires.

:-)
Old 07-06-11, 01:18 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LC is world reknown for being one of the toughest SOBs ever made. It is REVERED worldwide. It is THE ONLY vehicle to go to the North AND South poles. When you buy a LC, you pretty much buy an indestructible tank.

Oddly enough, it might not have style and lack panache against some other badges to most people but to off-roaders, the LC is one of the most respected vehicles.

Actually the only vehicle that's been to the North Pole isn't a LC, but a Hilux. It was on TopGear.
Old 08-25-11, 01:29 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

i know its quite a bump. But i work in a parking garage here in manhattan, and one finally came in. I was quite impressed with the interior and even how managable and easy it was to park one of these in these tight parking spots we have. (Underground garage with limited space).
Old 08-25-11, 09:46 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Can I comment on Range Rover and Land Cruiser?

Range Rover doesn't have off-road capability LC has, not even close. Land Rover is comparable to LC, but a bit less in off-road capability. However, the adventurous features offered by Land Rover Discovery X made it more special off-roader than LC( just a tard better). I still take LC over LR or RR anyday because of its known reliability.

There are TONS of LC and LX in my country, Cambodia, on and off the road. I have also seen a ton of RR on the road, but not many off the road (Only dumb people would take an RR Vogue or Sport or watever it's called off road.) Why? We don't have road side assistance, and we don't like our car to break down in the middle of the forest, or on the mountain.

I have been in 1994, 2000, and 2010 LC, I think the old one is a more solid off-roader, but the new one feels more refined, more user-friendly, and less rough.

I can't comment on G-Series since I have never driven one, but from the look of it, I think it's one solid off roader for sure.
Old 08-25-11, 09:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw the LC at the NY Car show and I felt the interior was cheap for it's $75K sticker.
If you're not going off road,the $10K or so more for the LX570 is so worth it.
Old 08-25-11, 10:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I saw the LC at the NY Car show and I felt the interior was cheap for it's $75K sticker.
If you're not going off road,the $10K or so more for the LX570 is so worth it.
that's pretty much what i say too. LC interior is far superior to any other toyota easily imho, no doubt about that. but pair with the drastic 75k price tag (and you can hardly negotiate), that does make it a bit hard to swallow. most people i know with LC, they buy the car for its heritage and history, which i completely respect as well. if you are into that, the LC is worth the money. but from an outsider point of view, 75k for the kind of interior, 85k for LX really becomes quite a bit more attractive
Old 08-25-11, 04:02 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
that's pretty much what i say too. LC interior is far superior to any other toyota easily imho, no doubt about that. but pair with the drastic 75k price tag (and you can hardly negotiate), that does make it a bit hard to swallow. most people i know with LC, they buy the car for its heritage and history, which i completely respect as well. if you are into that, the LC is worth the money. but from an outsider point of view, 75k for the kind of interior, 85k for LX really becomes quite a bit more attractive
Most probably see it that way, since the LX does outsell the LC. Still, I would buy an LC over an LX just because of the name.
Old 08-25-11, 04:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Most probably see it that way, since the LX does outsell the LC. Still, I would buy an LC over an LX just because of the name.
don't get me wrong, i TOTALLY understand and respect what you said. the LC name is just so legendary
Old 08-25-11, 04:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
honestly you are too stuck on names... LX is just even nicer LC.
Scion is Japanese Toyota

:-)
Old 08-25-11, 05:08 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Diesel engine powered LC from the other parts of the world is nicer than LX.
Old 08-25-11, 05:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cino
Diesel engine powered LC from the other parts of the world is nicer than LX.
not really... you would probably be dissapointed by how much more powerful both V8 petrols are.

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser