Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM, Chrysler, Toyota Warn That Higher-Ethanol Gas May Void Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
He ran some 100% Gas my dad bought at the boat dock and the problems went away.
It may run better with Marine gas, but does it pass emissions?.....Or is that not a factor in his state? If not, than that might be the solution. But Marine gas can be quite expensive....significantly more than regular auto pump-gas. There's an old saying......"If it flies or floats, it will eat you up in costs".
Old 07-06-11, 02:29 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Kill the corn subsidies, you kill ethanol in gas.....
Old 07-06-11, 02:35 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had E10, E20(limited supply), and E85 (very limited) in Thailand for quite some time now. What's nice is that we let the market decide which fuels it wants by not mandating, and only subsidizing. The result is that E10 is very popular, and E20/E85 have near zero demand. What attracts people is the price difference (due to subsidies), and it shows.

The greatest part is that regular pure gasoline is still available (91/95), as is E10 91/95. E20 91 is not hard to find. And E85? Well, you'll have better luck finding an electric car charging port.
Old 07-06-11, 04:13 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Just another "stimulus" to force people to buy cars

US Gov't scam #122

Just red the thread and put the statements together... as usual, what the gov't wants makes NO SENSE cuz it contradicts itself...
Old 07-06-11, 01:27 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
List of Ethanol free gas:

http://pure-gas.org/

None in norcal
Eureka and Fortuna are pretty North.

I'll be damned if I have to give up a car I love (My '94 Yota Pickup) because it can't run on E15 or whatever fuel they standarize at gas stations.

Last edited by 84Cressida; 07-06-11 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 01:41 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A somewhat similiar situation existed back in 1994, when the auto industry, under an international flouride-agreement, converted from R-12 A/C refrigerant to R-134, and R-12 was phased out of production. R-12 became difficult and expensive to find, as its supplies gradually dried up. Retro-fit kits for older cars to R-134 were available for some vehicles, but not for all (R-134 could not be used in R-12 systems). So, as a result, if the A/C failed and could not be recharged, many people, instead of riding around in an oven on wheels, simply ended up going out and getting new (or newer) vehicles.
I haven't ever heard of a car that you couldn't convert to have R134a in it. My Cressida was converted a few years back and it worked fine. You can also get R12 that's been recycled into a vehicle. It's expensive and a license shop has to do it, but it's still possible.
Old 07-06-11, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I haven't ever heard of a car that you couldn't convert to have R134a in it.
Maybe so, but I was referrring to conditions back in the mid-90's, when some cars had R12-R134 conversion-kits and some didn't. Owners sometimes didn't keep cars that lacked the kits, especially if they had A/C failure and encountered difficulties or high expenses getting R-12. And, to make it even more difficult, the EPA started requiring epecial recycling equipment to keep freon from leaking out deiring repairs, and service-shops had to buy new equipment.

So, how does all this relate to the thread topic.......E15 or greater gas/ethanol? Simple....as I see it, the same impetus that caused some people back in the 1990s to trade-up for cars that were designed for R-134 at the factory will likely cause a number of pre-2001 car owners to trade-up for newer (or brand-new) cars that will be able to handle the E15 blend. As Josh points out, though, not everyone can afford to do it (or will want to), but enough will that, I think, that it will make a difference in the market. I also wouldn't be surprised to see another Goverment-subsidy, like the Cash for Clunkers program a couple of years ago, encouraging trade-up sales for this purpose.

The E15 label released last week by the Environmental Protection Agency alerts consumers that the gas should only be used in vehicles with model year 2001 or later and that it may do damage — and is prohibited to use — in "other vehicles,
Here's something else to consider: As noted above, the EPA says that only cars older than 2001 models could be damaged by the E15 blend. So how do warranty-coverage questions even enter the picture? To me, it doesn't make sense.....even 10-year drivetrain warranties like on Kia/Hyundai/Mitsubishi vehicles (the longest warranties in the American market) will be about to expire on most 2001 models anyway. So the warranty question, to me, is not even an issue.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-06-11 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 06:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ethanol blows, its been wreaking havoc in small outboard engines. Companies have made additives to counter the corrosive effects of the alcohol. Making corn compete for food and fuel was a boneheaded decision, did nothing but increase food prices.
Old 07-06-11, 06:38 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We need to send a lynch mob to congress to stop this madness once and for all.
Old 07-06-11, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ethanol blows, its been wreaking havoc in small outboard engines. Companies have made additives to counter the corrosive effects of the alcohol. Making corn compete for food and fuel was a boneheaded decision, did nothing but increase food prices.

No. Food prices went up because of bad weather and lower harvests, not ethanol production. And most of the corn that is used for ethanol is of such a low grade that you would not want to eat it at the dinner-table anyway....it is barely fit even for farm animals. So, in general, it doesn't affect other corn-prices.

Ethanol, BTW, is also made from a number of other sources, not just low-grade corn......including sugar cane, wood chips, and even recycled-garbage.
Old 07-06-11, 06:41 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
We've had E10, E20(limited supply), and E85 (very limited) in Thailand for quite some time now. What's nice is that we let the market decide which fuels it wants by not mandating, and only subsidizing. The result is that E10 is very popular, and E20/E85 have near zero demand. What attracts people is the price difference (due to subsidies), and it shows.

The greatest part is that regular pure gasoline is still available (91/95), as is E10 91/95. E20 91 is not hard to find. And E85? Well, you'll have better luck finding an electric car charging port.
Yeah well Thailand has more intelligent people in charge than America. In America anyone smart goes into the private sector.

The Head of the Central Bank of Thailand is the highest paid Central Bank Chairman in the world. Our one is one of the lowest paid, and it shows.
Old 07-06-11, 07:39 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Ethanol is not good for carbureted engines either especially 2 stroke engines common for lawncare/tools as it gums up carburetors and can dissolve plastic fuel lines. Chainsaws are especially prone to gumming/deposits from ethanol in gas, it is not recommended keeping fuel in them for over 3 months anymore due to most gas having ethanol in it.
Old 07-06-11, 08:32 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. Food prices went up because of bad weather and lower harvests, not ethanol production. And most of the corn that is used for ethanol is of such a low grade that you would not want to eat it at the dinner-table anyway....it is barely fit even for farm animals. So, in general, it doesn't affect other corn-prices.

Ethanol, BTW, is also made from a number of other sources, not just low-grade corn......including sugar cane, wood chips, and even recycled-garbage.
No, food prices went up because farmers planted more acres of corn and less of others due to the rising demand of corn directly related to the use of ethanol in gasoline. Whether it's low grade or high grade corn is insignificant. There are only so many acres of farm land that can be planted in a year. If it's cheaper for farmers to produce low grade corn (for ethanol) vs high grade corn (for food) they're going to plant more acres of the low grade. Since they are now planting more corn, wheat crops have shrunk so the price of wheat is near all time highs. So yeah, dumb. For once, I agree with 4ThNguyen...
Old 07-06-11, 08:50 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok. i had some fuel line recall done on my 2007.

that means my car can run on 100% beer, right?
Old 07-06-11, 09:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
List of Ethanol free gas:
http://pure-gas.org/
None in norcal
thanks - there's one in my town. may get it for my power tools.

Originally Posted by UDel
Ethanol is not good for carbureted engines either especially 2 stroke engines common for lawncare/tools as it gums up carburetors and can dissolve plastic fuel lines. Chainsaws are especially prone to gumming/deposits from ethanol in gas, it is not recommended keeping fuel in them for over 3 months anymore due to most gas having ethanol in it.
so true.

Quick Reply: GM, Chrysler, Toyota Warn That Higher-Ethanol Gas May Void Warranties