Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM, Chrysler, Toyota Warn That Higher-Ethanol Gas May Void Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 10:40 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
No, food prices went up because farmers planted more acres of corn and less of others due to the rising demand of corn directly related to the use of ethanol in gasoline. Whether it's low grade or high grade corn is insignificant. There are only so many acres of farm land that can be planted in a year. If it's cheaper for farmers to produce low grade corn (for ethanol) vs high grade corn (for food) they're going to plant more acres of the low grade. Since they are now planting more corn, wheat crops have shrunk so the price of wheat is near all time highs. So yeah, dumb. For once, I agree with 4ThNguyen...
I took an Ecology class a couple months ago, a kid in the class did a presentation on corn, amazing that there are dozens of varieties of corn, the yellow stuff we get has no nutritional value, it's just a filler, there are several corn varieties that are tastier, and actually have nutritional value, and cheaper, but that yellow cob sells, sad that our fruits and vegetables have been altered so much you don't even know what your looking at when you see the original product

and the kicker the cheaper natural corn which is better for people is now what takes up the majority of land for this BS ethanol
Old 07-07-11, 01:03 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not to get too off topic, but how about sweet white corn that sells 5 for $1 at the store?

is that all filler too ?

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
List of Ethanol free gas:

http://pure-gas.org/

None in norcal
california has almost no pure gas, and is among the most expensive in the country
Old 07-07-11, 01:59 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
not to get too off topic, but how about sweet white corn that sells 5 for $1 at the store?

is that all filler too ?
does it come in weird colors, different shades of red and brown, that is actually good for you, they genetically modified the yellow corn to not be sweet cause the bugs don't eat it

back on topic, I think the ethanol is killing my chain saw
Old 07-07-11, 05:37 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the ethanol is killing my chain saw
local saw shop told me to just go a little heavier on the oil if it was a concern........
Old 07-07-11, 06:20 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
local saw shop told me to just go a little heavier on the oil if it was a concern........
ironic, since more oil in the mixture means more emissions.
Old 07-07-11, 07:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
me too and all my power tools.

Originally Posted by J.P.
mine too, 8oz oil bottle to 2gallons he told me.

Originally Posted by My0gr81
exactly
Old 07-07-11, 10:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
does it come in weird colors, different shades of red and brown, that is actually good for you, they genetically modified the yellow corn to not be sweet cause the bugs don't eat it

We borrowed a neighbors chainsaw to cut up a large tree that crushed our storage shed from the spring storms and it gradually got harder to start and stopped working. We could not figure out how to fix it and took it to a repair shop where they said it was bad gas and cleaned/flushed out the carb/lines. We said the neighbor told us the gas was not that old(4 months or so) and they said with modern gas having ethanol in it you would be shocked how quickly it gums up carbs and causes other problems, he has more repairs with chainsaws/tools in the past few years then he ever had because of this. He said run it dry if you are not going to use it in 3 months and never leave gas in it over winter or for an extended period of time.
Old 07-07-11, 01:34 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My0gr81
yep, some just do not get it yet.....
Old 07-07-11, 07:12 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. Food prices went up because of bad weather and lower harvests, not ethanol production. And most of the corn that is used for ethanol is of such a low grade that you would not want to eat it at the dinner-table anyway....it is barely fit even for farm animals. So, in general, it doesn't affect other corn-prices.

Ethanol, BTW, is also made from a number of other sources, not just low-grade corn......including sugar cane, wood chips, and even recycled-garbage.
theres only a finite amount of farmland, guess what happens when you plant more corn than what the market would normally demand because the govt is paying for it and creating an artificially high demand? That's less land for other crops, guess what happens to the price for those crops that got displaced by over corning. The corn price would plummet if the govt stopped subsidizing it, completely unsustainable without subsidies. So we are growing unedible corn on finite farmland instead of real edible food, paying higher food prices, and damaging our machinery? What an amazing deal. This is why having food compete with fuel was a horrible idea and it distorts our food supply

Now the EPA has approved an increase to E15, how many engines is this going to damage?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-07-11 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 03:40 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just checked the local gate with the ethanol free gas. The only grade they have is 89. I didn't fill up on it, but what do ya'll think? Would it be safe to fill up with ethanol free 89 in a Lexus or any benefit of it would be negated by the fact that the car needs 91 or 93.