Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mexico's Mastretta MXT headed for production, Clarkson unavailable for comment

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 05:41 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Mexico's Mastretta MXT headed for production, Clarkson unavailable for comment

Mexico's Mastretta MXT headed for production, Clarkson unavailable for comment

The 2011 Mastretta MXT, Mexico's homegrown sports car that took a Top Gear slagging, is ramping up production. The company is on track to produce 100 vehicles by the end of 2011, and that figure will double next year. Speaking at the Guadalajara International Motor Show (SIAG), Daniel Mastretta announced the first production MXT will be delivered by the end of July.
Despite what Clarkson, May and Hammond had to say about Mexican cars and cuisine, co-founder Daniel Mastretta didn't fire back at Top Gear with anger. In fact, the comments on the popular show helped publicize the MXT and spurred the company to make improvements to the vehicle. The aluminum chassis MXT features a turbocharged Ford Duratec four-cylinder and MTX transaxle, but as Lotus has proved with the Elise, plebian pieces with a light load can translate into thrilling performance. Mastretta is holding 30 percent of its Toluca, Mexico factory output back for the Mexican market, while the rest of the coupes will head out for other lands.
Vehicles will soon be put in the hands of media for evaluation drives. That's a vote of confidence by the manufacturer in its product and Mastretta can count us among the interested parties who are eager to see what this car is capable of.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-...a-mxt/#4282731

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/08/m...son-unavailab/
Old 07-08-11, 08:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

hmm...mexico huh? Why not, everyone else but toyota makes their cars there (and maybe even them too).
Old 07-08-11, 10:51 PM
LexTriton
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
hmm...mexico huh? Why not, everyone else but toyota makes their cars there (and maybe even them too).
Yes, even Toyota has a plant south of the border
Old 07-09-11, 09:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

A lot of auto companies have plants in the Toluca area including BMW and Mercedes.

It's over the mountains west of Mexico City. I used to go to a 1/4 mile track out their by the airport on occasion and would love to take my RX300 up the nearby Nevado de Toluca extinct Volcano.

I have met Mr. Mastretta on a few occasions when I lived in Mexico and I can tell you he's got an A-class operation going. He's extremely bright and his automobile is very well-thought. He has spent a lot of time in effort trying to get these vehicles just right.

Mr. Clarkson can speak his opinion like anyone else, but there is some great innovation and thinking in Mexico in the industrial area including in the automotive sector.
Old 07-09-11, 10:28 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Mr. Clarkson can speak his opinion like anyone else
i think its great that mastretta took clarkson's opinions and turned it into constructive criticism to make the car better. you can't improve on the product if you don't know what can be done better. i think mxt will surprise some people
Old 07-09-11, 12:30 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, its quite refreshing to see someone take criticism so well. It makes me feel good for the guy and hope his company all the better; instead of hyundai, where I see them bashing all other car markers haha.