Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Option "Packages"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 04:04 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I know here in NY it seems the Lexus dealers seem to all order the cars with the same option "packages" and then it boils down to the negotiation to get the real price. Otherwise if you want something such as the ML speaker system , you are likely going to have to wait for it to be built but that also means harder to get a deal on it. I don't understand why don't they just put in the Mark Levinson with the navigation option, kind of sucks that you would have to custom order it and wait for it. Infiniti if you want a Bose i'm sure it isn't too hard to get.
Old 07-12-11, 04:46 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
The ML and Park assist is nice, but dynamic cruise control and headlamp washers seem kinda pointless.

I've never in my life got out of my car and only washed the headlamps.

The dynamic cruise control just seems gimmicky - plus I bet if you left that one item off you'd find a car much easier.

The only reason I wanted the laser cruise is because I have it on my Infiniti now and use it all the time. The other options would be nice to have, when paying a premium price for a car that I'm going to have for awhile.

I gave Lexus one more chance to see what they could do for me- I'm on my way over there now to talk to them, so we'll see what they say.
Old 07-12-11, 07:31 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The website limitations are exactly that - website limitations. Cars can be obtained from other regions and cars can also be spec'd to order from the factory (just have to be willing to wait).

I do agree that Lexus' website is annoying in that cars can't be spec'd exactly as desired and also that dealer inventory isn't accessible. That's transparency I would like to see.

Of course, best of all, I'd rather just order a car from the factory and not have to have a dealership involved at all.

Originally Posted by rinthiran
That's just a bad excuse for laziness from the salesperson not wanting to do the work. I do know that ML in the current inventory is hard to find (at least it was a year ago when I was searching the SF bay area for an ISF with ML.
Agreed. Most likely, the salesperson is just saying that to try to push you into buying a car they have in inventory. Talk to the sales manager, and if that fails, go to a different dealership. If they won't get you what you want to make a deal happen, they're not worth your time.
Old 07-14-11, 06:47 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The website limitations are exactly that - website limitations. Cars can be obtained from other regions and cars can also be spec'd to order from the factory (just have to be willing to wait).

I do agree that Lexus' website is annoying in that cars can't be spec'd exactly as desired and also that dealer inventory isn't accessible. That's transparency I would like to see.

Of course, best of all, I'd rather just order a car from the factory and not have to have a dealership involved at all.

Agreed. Most likely, the salesperson is just saying that to try to push you into buying a car they have in inventory. Talk to the sales manager, and if that fails, go to a different dealership. If they won't get you what you want to make a deal happen, they're not worth your time.
I spoke to one other Lexus dealership in Wisconsin and also one in the Chicagoland area. The dealership in Wisconsin said that they would not dealer trade for a car and if I wanted something specific, I would have to order it, but they may not be able to order it for me for a couple of months, due to allocations. The dealership in Chicago was perfectly willing to work with me and get me what I wanted but wanted to charge sticker plus about 3k for their troubles.

I'm in negotiations right now on another Infiniti, excatly how I want it, without having to jump through flaming hoops or pay a "premium" to get the car I want.

Not sure I'll consider a Lexus again, after these dealings...