Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Option "Packages"

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 03:10 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Option "Packages"

How does Lexus/Toyota go about building its "A" "B" and "C" option packages for each car? I was toying around the Lexus website today and wanted to build an IS350AWD, as my other car is paid off, so I'm thinking about getting another more practical car (other car is an 08 G37S Coupe). When I went to build a 350AWD, I put in my zip code (Wisconsin) and it let me build a car, but the options that the book shows are available for the car are not availible in my "region" supposedly?? Why would Lexus/Toyota not allow consumers to get a "fully loaded" car anywhere in the country? It makes no sense. No other brand of cars that I've been looking at (Infiniti/Nissan, BMW, and some others) have their options grouped together into different "regional offerings", making it not possible to get a car with the options that you actually want.

I've got to say that the way that Lexus/Toyota allows options is almost a deterrant for me to purchase one of their cars.
Old 07-10-11, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by teeder27
How does Lexus/Toyota go about building its "A" "B" and "C" option packages for each car? I was toying around the Lexus website today and wanted to build an IS350AWD, as my other car is paid off, so I'm thinking about getting another more practical car (other car is an 08 G37S Coupe). When I went to build a 350AWD, I put in my zip code (Wisconsin) and it let me build a car, but the options that the book shows are available for the car are not availible in my "region" supposedly?? Why would Lexus/Toyota not allow consumers to get a "fully loaded" car anywhere in the country? It makes no sense. No other brand of cars that I've been looking at (Infiniti/Nissan, BMW, and some others) have their options grouped together into different "regional offerings", making it not possible to get a car with the options that you actually want.

I've got to say that the way that Lexus/Toyota allows options is almost a deterrant for me to purchase one of their cars.
there are different distribution companies that have different set of specs ordered from the factory... it has always been like that.
Old 07-10-11, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

but you can always order out of state or talk to your dealer to do a trade with another deal to get you want you want...
Old 07-10-11, 04:46 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

What specific options are you referring to?
Old 07-10-11, 05:25 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by scgt652
What specific options are you referring to?
Well, I wanted a 350AWD with Mark Levinson, Park Assist, Dynamic Laser Cruise and Headlamp Washers, plus everything else. The above listed options are NOT available in my "region".
Old 07-10-11, 05:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I've noticed several car makes have the same problem when configuring online. Audi, Toyota, and some others don't always show available options. Sometimes other websites like Edmunds.com help or a quick visit to the dealer to take a peek at stickers helps too.
Old 07-10-11, 08:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Well, I wanted a 350AWD with Mark Levinson, Park Assist, Dynamic Laser Cruise and Headlamp Washers, plus everything else. The above listed options are NOT available in my "region".
damn.... 48k for all that in SoCal... GS350AWD is only 4k more expensive.
Old 07-10-11, 08:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

(without discounts)
Old 07-10-11, 08:37 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
I know. The IS is the only Lexus that even remotely excites me. I'm not a fan of the GS.

I could get a fully loaded Infiniti G sedan for about 45, with every option, so I think that may be the way I go.
Old 07-10-11, 09:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I know. The IS is the only Lexus that even remotely excites me. I'm not a fan of the GS.

I could get a fully loaded Infiniti G sedan for about 45, with every option, so I think that may be the way I go.
yeah, but there is no ML, or IPA or even ventilated seats in there.
Old 07-10-11, 09:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts

I've noticed this too. I'm not sure why they do it though.
Old 07-11-11, 06:31 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
An optioned out GS is about 8-9k difference in price. Not worth it in my opinion. The GS is too big of a car for me. I've only ever owned coupes, so if I were to buy an IS, it would be the first sedan i've ever owned.

I did talk to my Lexus dealer today about getting a car with the options that I want and was told "You don't want all that crap- its just going to break." I guess they either didn't want to do the work to get me a car that I'd be happy with, or just didn't care about anything at all.
Old 07-12-11, 12:58 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

I did talk to my Lexus dealer today about getting a car with the options that I want and was told "You don't want all that crap- its just going to break." I guess they either didn't want to do the work to get me a car that I'd be happy with, or just didn't care about anything at all.
That's just a bad excuse for laziness from the salesperson not wanting to do the work. I do know that ML in the current inventory is hard to find (at least it was a year ago when I was searching the SF bay area for an ISF with ML.
Old 07-12-11, 01:52 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ML and Park assist is nice, but dynamic cruise control and headlamp washers seem kinda pointless.

I've never in my life got out of my car and only washed the headlamps.

The dynamic cruise control just seems gimmicky - plus I bet if you left that one item off you'd find a car much easier.
Old 07-12-11, 02:08 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

subsribed for interesting thread !

Quick Reply: Option "Packages"